Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is it really better in England, or just rose tinted glasses?

Is it really better in England, or just rose tinted glasses?

Old Feb 9th 2011, 9:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it really better in England, or just rose tinted glasses?

I was talking to a lady here who's 70 and she's apopleptic about the healthcare bill - Obama is trying to kill her or something so I think he had a mountain to climb getting anything through.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I was talking to a lady here who's 70 and she's apopleptic about the healthcare bill - Obama is trying to kill her or something so I think he had a mountain to climb getting anything through.
She's probably been listening to that idiot, Sarah Palin, talking about the death panels, etc, all gloom and doom. What a load of rubbish!!!! At least Obama tried to get something passed - no-one else did anything at all. I haven't seen the Republicans come up with any viable solution to the US healthcare problem.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 11:06 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Derrygal
She's probably been listening to that idiot, Sarah Palin, talking about the death panels, etc, all gloom and doom. What a load of rubbish!!!! At least Obama tried to get something passed - no-one else did anything at all. I haven't seen the Republicans come up with any viable solution to the US healthcare problem.
I think if Sarah Palin had a brain transplant, and then went to university and studied really, really hard for - say - 10 years then she might - just might - elevate her status to utter fucking imbecile. Personally I could never see her catapult her level of intelligence to the lofty heights of idiot.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 11:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
I think if Sarah Palin had a brain transplant, and then went to university and studied really, really hard for - say - 10 years then she might - just might - elevate her status to utter fucking imbecile. Personally I could never see her catapult her level of intelligence to the lofty heights of idiot.
Old Feb 9th 2011, 11:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howard Morris
Yes, but while you can't refuse to insure people with a PE you can certainly price them out of the market. So it's a worthless clause.
Not after 2014 when a pre-existing condition can't be used to discriminate by price.

I don't think the bill releases the stranglehold of the insurance companies at all. In fact, it just puts a lot more business their way by forcing everybody to buy their crappy products.
If you're going to have insurance-based access that covers pre-existing conditions (and btw it works well in countries such as Switzerland and Holland) you have to have some kind of mandate in order to widen the insurance pool to make it affordable.

In fact, that's the only way that it works in general. The NHS, for example, has a type of mandate in that if you earn income, you must pay taxes on it that help fund it.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Feb 9th 2011 at 11:27 pm.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 2:30 pm
Just Joined

Howard Morris is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Not after 2014 when a pre-existing condition can't be used to discriminate by price.
Really? I didn't know that. That's a big step in the right direction.
Old Feb 10th 2011, 8:29 pm

citizenmarie is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, but while you can't refuse to insure people with a PE you can certainly price them out of the market. So it's a worthless clause.

I don't think the bill releases the stranglehold of the insurance companies at all. In fact, it just puts a lot more business their way by forcing everybody to buy their crappy products.

I can't believe that Obama wasted the first half of his term to push this junk through.
Yes, I don't think people should "have" to buy health insurance: I really don't agree with that part of the bill. At least not unless it was like in say Holland -- where (I read) that everyone pays for very low cost insurance (about $100 a month), and then some is also taken out of taxes depending on your pay scale.

I think a system like that could work in the US -- part private, part shared by taxes, so that all are covered. And at a reasonable cost.

BTW, in California, where I live, they are already implementing parts of the bill. My insurance company sent out a letter saying what they'll now be providing -- and it was actually more stuff for a change, rather than less. The whole "have to buy health insurance" thing has not been mentioned anywhere yet though, as fas as I can tell.
Old Feb 11th 2011, 11:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by citizenmarie
Yes, I don't think people should "have" to buy health insurance: I really don't agree with that part of the bill. At least not unless it was like in say Holland -- where (I read) that everyone pays for very low cost insurance (about $100 a month), and then some is also taken out of taxes depending on your pay scale.
If you're not allowed to deny coverage to people with pre-existing conditions, you have to have some kind of mandate to buy insurance. Otherwise, people will simply wait until they are sick and then buy insurance. That's like being able to buy auto insurance once you've crashed your car.

Although a single-payer or more regulated insurance system (as in Switzerland) would have been my strong preference, the law - in 2014 - is conceptually at least doing what you are suggesting by providing subsidies to lower-income households to buy "affordable" insurance.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by keaki80
It's hard to put in words and I'm probably going to sound daft - but it's a lot of little things. For example, when I first came to USA, I fought hard to hang on to my "Englishness" refusing to say chips, stove, restroom, and all the rest - and for me, "awesome" was the ultimate no-no word. You go back home and find these words creeping into the English language.
I always said I should write an English-American dictionary because there are actually so many different words, I used to say "I need to talk to you" - and noticed here they say "talk WITH you" and a load like that.. but now they do in UK, too.
I don't know if it's the television/film influence, but the young people are the biggest.. would offenders be the word??
So, speech is one.
Another is the shooting up of malls and multi-plex cinema's, etc. I grew up in a village and ultimately ended up on the Isle of Wight. It was very behind the times there and now to see the moving in of KFC and Pizza Huts, American style coffee shops and shopping centres.. it's just things like that for me.

I think we don't realise we have changed, we expect everything and everyone to stay the same, but of course they move on and so do we.
Although I say I'd be over to UK like a shot, I can say that because I know it isn't going to happen. Would I really be so keen if it happened?
I love this part of the country, with its spectacular scenery, love my life here and all the materialistic extra's I have, love the wide open roads and the service you receive - and expect.

I always remember in 1980, I visited New Jersey with an Irish friend of mine and we stayed with her aunt. I don't know when the aunt emigrated, but she had never been back to Ireland since and went on and on about how UK didn't have showers in the bathroom and did I like hers.. and it made me laugh. Maybe they didn't have showers when she left, but they did by 1980!!
I don't want to get like that. The country changes, evolves, moves on.. well, not the country, but living there.
Does that help at all Englishman??
Yes, and when I went back for a visit to the UK last year and little kids knew how to "high-five" then I almost lost all hope that England was keeping itself English.

Other American adoptions: charging massive amounts for education, privatising the NHS (I hope it works out better than the US, I really do), saying ass instead if arse , super-expensive public transport (what happened to the Eurorail costs???! since the 80s), style of the TV programs... I could go on ...
Old Feb 12th 2011, 5:05 pm

Wonder what would happen to the US health system if people turned out like they did in Cairo? Seems like we're all waiting for some politician to change it all...
Old Feb 12th 2011, 5:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wonder what would happen to the US health system if people turned out like they did in Cairo? Seems like we're all waiting for some politician to change it all...
But nobody seems to want 'socialized medicine'.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 5:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond reputePistolpete2 has a reputation beyond repute

They'll do that when the entire entitlement programme of medicare, medicaid and social security goes bankrupt in fifteen years or so. Then the printing machines will be turned full ON. In the meantime NOBODY in the political arena will touch it with a barge-pole because fixing the whole thing means new taxes big-time and you don't win elections raising taxes. As Rome burns.........

So

Bankruptcy here we come!
Old Feb 12th 2011, 5:37 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Other American adoptions: charging massive amounts for education, privatising the NHS (I hope it works out better than the US, I really do), , super-expensive public transport (what happened to the Eurorail costs???! since the 80s), ... I could go on ...
Surely those changes came about because those programs are in financial trouble, not to emulate the United States.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by meauxna
Surely those changes came about because those programs are in financial trouble, not to emulate the United States.
I'm not saying they literally sit down and say "oh, let's see what America's doing and do that". But I do think that the attitude of throwing money at a problem seems to be a common thread, instead of looking at where the money is being spent/watsed. Just like your family budget, sometimes you do actually need to earn more money, but more often than not you are just overspending...

An example: the US spends the most per pupil on education, but the results overall (in state schools) are poor. Too much red tape and crappy teachers being kept on and no unified curriculum. It's just one big experiment that they keep wanting more money for! INMNSHO...
Old Feb 13th 2011, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
But nobody seems to want 'socialized medicine'.
That's not the only other choice... As I mentioned, the Dutch system may be closer to what would work in the US.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.