Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Is it really better in England, or just rose tinted glasses?

Is it really better in England, or just rose tinted glasses?

Old Jan 16th 2011, 10:57 am
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is it really better in England, or just rose tinted glasses?

Originally Posted by Steve_
.............I don't mind listening to people complain who actually understand what they are complaining about, but the British appear to like sitting around and just generally whinging even when it doesn't make any sense.
The Americans don't like to hear complaining as a rule and tend to be quite an optimistic bunch. I think they consider grumbling as a weakness in character.

Gawd, I really miss the English and their "imperfections".........
Old Jan 16th 2011, 11:05 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee
The Americans don't like to hear complaining as a rule and tend to be quite an optimistic bunch. I think they consider grumbling as a weakness in character.

Gawd, I really miss the English and their "imperfections".........
Must say I noticed that, too - I would occasionally lapse into criticism in the States, and there would be an almost uncomfortable response ... swings and roundabouts, really.

In my current position (in the UK) I find colleagues to be pretty hyper-critical of each other and I sometimes find that to be very unsupportive. I think it all boils down to recognising that we all have our faults, so I'd rather we cut each other some slack rather than focus on the few things we get wrong or do badly.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 3:06 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

One of the biggest jokes ever is that apparently Milton Keynes is rated as the best place to live in the UK - a town designed by an American.
I think that's just because of the commuter location and cost of housing...I think everyone still agrees that it is a shit hole though
Old Jan 16th 2011, 11:27 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
You are generalising about so many things,
Of course I'm generalising, duh.
Old Jan 16th 2011, 11:28 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
I think that's just because of the commuter location and cost of housing...I think everyone still agrees that it is a shit hole though
No, apparently not, it's considered the best place to live according to some survey I saw. I don't think it's a bad place to live, just a bit characterless.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 1:25 am
BE Enthusiast

beachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond reputebeachgal21 has a reputation beyond repute

The one point I would make about the UK that other people rarely do (and one of the main reasons I will never live there again) is that the British are the world's most opinionated people on subjects they know nothing about.

Sometimes it's called an "island mentality". The problem is that GB is a pretty big island so the British went around the world telling everyone else what they should be doing and that's why there was a British Empire, imo.

As an example, lost count of the number of racists I've met in the UK and it's completely laughable because most of the visible immigrants in the UK appear to be from Commonwealth countries - well guess what, take over half the world, expect some blowback in later years.

When I was growing up in Britain I used to think there was something wrong with me because I had a different opinion to everyone else, clearly I was not part of the "group think" that is British culture. Then I left and realised that actually no, I was right about a lot of things and the general British cultural view is wrong.

I don't mind listening to people complain who actually understand what they are complaining about, but the British appear to like sitting around and just generally whinging even when it doesn't make any sense.

I came to the conclusion it must be because of population density, the problems cannot actually be addressed so instead everyone just moans endlessly because it makes them feel better.

One of the biggest jokes ever is that apparently Milton Keynes is rated as the best place to live in the UK - a town designed by an American.
Good to know you're a most opinionated Brit too
Old Jan 17th 2011, 1:46 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

No, apparently not, it's considered the best place to live according to some survey I saw. I don't think it's a bad place to live, just a bit characterless.
Had some friends used to live there and they liked it (though they have moved now....) but have to say from the visits I made, it wasn't my cup of tea, although it did seem considerably more pleasant than the earlier crop of new towns such as Harlow and Stevenage. The Chief Architect was actually a Brit (my dad worked with on a few projects with him, but not this one!), but he drew on theoretical concepts developed in the US in the design. Looking at some of the development around our way, you can see the same influences, but unfortunately (?) with a lack of urban planning in this area, the result has become a massive unplanned sprawl which manages to avoid a lot of the efficiencies the concept was supposed to provide.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 1:54 am

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, but surveys can be slanted to give any result you want. The only one that I have ever read that is 100% right is this one.
http://www.channel4bestandworst.com/
Old Jan 17th 2011, 2:28 am
Just Joined

DenverDave is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Blunder
I've been here in the USA now (Texas for four years, Colorado for one) and I've finally arrived at the point where the "novelty has worn off". I don't know if it's age, maturity, a few years in the school of life, or what, but after some ups and downs, some wonderful experiences and adventures, and some true tests of patience, I'm officially done.

At first, the glitz of living in "AMERICA!", the open roads, the scenery, the big plates of food, frosted beer glasses, huge houses and athe things we heard about in movies were enough to sustain my interest. It has been a wonderful larger than life experience with good friends, but I've never been able to shake the feeling that I had overstayed a holiday.

And as good as the friends are that I've made here, I know we don't have that deep, true blood "brotherhood" bond like what I have with my mates back home. It's like everything in America emotionally gets to a 7 or an 8 before hitting a glass ceiling and never truly hitting that 10 to say "This truly is my home now."

I miss so many things, big and small, about England and I want to know if I decided to move back, would I regret it once all the tearful reunions and catching up with friends died down? Would catching the bus to my small terraced house just in time for Eastenders soon get old, with me asking myself why I left behind a grand home, car, and laying by the pool?

I miss my family, my true childhood friends, I miss the lifestyle over there. I can't ever shake the feeling that America is just constantly shaking me down for money - processing fees, admin fees, convenience fees, toll road fees, state tax, federal tax, etc. I feel like my original plans to travel the continent and see the sights have somehow been slapped with a giant dose of reality and instead I'm just working 8-6 (with ten days vacation a year lol) just to pay the bills and try to survive. Life has become more about existing rather than living.

And if I'm going to "exist", I'd rather do it in the same locale as my parents, siblings and friends.

Is a return to England really that promising? Or just another "grass is greener" fantasy that will soon leave me cold and longing for my US life again?

Right now nothing sounds better than making my way through the cold to see the warm orange glow of the pub windows, the muffle of a live band, and knowing there's a pint in there waiting for me, and a group of mates around the small circular table.

I really miss home
Home is definitely where "your" heart is - I've been living in Colorado for the past 6 years and will be heading back full-time sometime this year. I know the US isn't for me and don't want to keeping wrestling with much of what you have described above - LIFE'S WAY TOO SHORT MAN! If you're not happy, try going back for a bit and see how you feel - it's never too late to do anything! Listen to how YOU FEEL DEEP DOWN - only you can do that and come up with an answer that is right for you. I'm going back in Feb for two weeks with the GF - we'll be checking things out as she wants to move over there too. Things may have changed back there, but one thing hasn't changed with me - home will always be home! I've travelled, gathered some wonderful memories, had ups and downs along the way - for me, it's time to pack the bags and head back! GOOD LUCK - TAKE YOUR TIME IN YOUR DECISION - KEEP LOOKING FORWARD!

Cheers!
Dave
Old Jan 17th 2011, 11:17 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Of course I'm generalising, duh.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 5:26 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Originally Posted by beachgal21
Good to know you're a most opinionated Brit too
Yes indeed, but I am smart enough to not form an opinion until I have the facts which doesn't seem to be the case generally speaking (and I include the US in that one too, it's hardly unique for people to jump to conclusions).

I'm just talking about generally accepted opinions about things that make people think you're strange if you challenge them in the UK. Even when the facts don't support them. As one minor example, I'm not convinced that football/soccer is the world's most popular sport. Popular in Europe, Latin America and parts of Africa, not so popular elsewhere. Nor is it a "beautiful game" - it makes baseball look interesting.

But say that in most pubs in the UK and you will get strange looks. I appreciate I'm expressing an opinion, not a fact, but it's a rare opinion.

Sorry, I'm not part of your homogeneity!

There isn't the same culture of people thinking alike in the US, I assume because it is a nation of immigrants and spread out, although I have to say in recent years a lot of that has been lost with the general expansion of corporations and their franchises and people saying stupid things like English should be the national language (visit Puerto Rico). I do find people from NYC and southern California tend to be rather dismissive of the rest of the country. I find nothing appealing about living in a tower block where daylight hardly reaches street level, myself.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 6:06 pm
Ping-ponger

Yes indeed, but I am smart enough to not form an opinion until I have the facts which doesn't seem to be the case generally speaking (and I include the US in that one too, it's hardly unique for people to jump to conclusions).

I'm just talking about generally accepted opinions about things that make people think you're strange if you challenge them in the UK. Even when the facts don't support them. As one minor example, I'm not convinced that football/soccer is the world's most popular sport. Popular in Europe, Latin America and parts of Africa, not so popular elsewhere. Nor is it a "beautiful game" - it makes baseball look interesting.

But say that in most pubs in the UK and you will get strange looks. I appreciate I'm expressing an opinion, not a fact, but it's a rare opinion.

Sorry, I'm not part of your homogeneity!

There isn't the same culture of people thinking alike in the US, I assume because it is a nation of immigrants and spread out, although I have to say in recent years a lot of that has been lost with the general expansion of corporations and their franchises and people saying stupid things like English should be the national language (visit Puerto Rico). I do find people from NYC and southern California tend to be rather dismissive of the rest of the country. I find nothing appealing about living in a tower block where daylight hardly reaches street level, myself.
Glad to see we agree on something. Anyone know how it earned that sobriqet?

[OK: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beautiful_Game - seems a rather weak origin, and completely unjustified]
Old Jan 17th 2011, 6:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Glad to see we agree on something. Anyone know how it earned that sobriqet?

[OK: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beautiful_Game - seems a rather weak origin, and completely unjustified]
Whether beautiful or not, a lot of people in the World do play it.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 6:15 pm
Ping-ponger

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Whether beautiful or not, a lot of people in the World do play it.
I don't dispute that, and I think as a recreational or amateur sport it has a lot going for it. All you need is a ball and a couple of sweaters for goalposts and kids can run and kick around all day. Nothing wrong with that.

I just can't see why the professional version of the game deserves to be called "beautiful". In fact, going by the behavior and tactics of professional football in the UK, I think "ugly" is more descriptive.
Old Jan 17th 2011, 6:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I don't dispute that, and I think as a recreational or amateur sport it has a lot going for it. All you need is a ball and a couple of sweaters for goalposts and kids can run and kick around all day. Nothing wrong with that.

I just can't see why the professional version of the game deserves to be called "beautiful". In fact, going by the behavior and tactics of professional football in the UK, I think "ugly" is more descriptive.
Looking at your link, it was more about 'people who make the game beautiful', which I think some like Pele did. Plenty who don't

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.