Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Really ashamed of some brits back home...

Really ashamed of some brits back home...

Old Sep 7th 2005, 4:14 pm
stara koka masna juha

cutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Really ashamed of some brits back home...

Originally Posted by robousy
I see your point. Emails are extremely impersonal and statements and comments can easily be interpreted the wrong way. There was a lot of 'serves you right' tone to them though.

Incidently I had a quick look at your profile and saw that you are a scientist - what is it you research? I ask as I am working on my PhD in Texas in physics at the moment.
I am just finishing up a PhD in Genetics/Biochemistry
I always liked the concepts in physics, but unfortunately my maths just isn't up to the job!
Old Sep 7th 2005, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

robousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nice

Originally Posted by cutina
I am just finishing up a PhD in Genetics/Biochemistry
I always liked the concepts in physics, but unfortunately my maths just isn't up to the job!
omg - the math is horrible. I had a real shock when I first got here as they focus a lot more on the maths in undergrad - something we didn't so I had a lot on my plate.

Genetics and biochem. are fascinating fields. I hope you guys figure out how to stop aging! I was reading about a research project at cambridge:
http://www.gen.cam.ac.uk/sens/
looks like some people are serious about this. Its not that I am bothered about getting old - but I think it would be great to live 1000 yrs!
Old Sep 7th 2005, 5:21 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Incidently I had a quick look at your profile and saw that you are a scientist - what is it you research? I ask as I am working on my PhD in Texas in physics at the moment.
Where?

There are only a few universities that would offer a doctoral degree in physics.
Old Sep 7th 2005, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

robousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nicerobousy is just really nice

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Where?

There are only a few universities that would offer a doctoral degree in physics.

Baylor university in Tx.
(its in Waco...lol)
Old Sep 7th 2005, 7:31 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Baylor university in Tx.
(its in Waco...lol)
Just up the road apiece from here.
Old Sep 7th 2005, 11:30 pm
Forum Regular

Just up the road apiece from here.
Hi, an Austinite!

they have a spelunking club at your uni that I am going to attend. we dont have one in waco so I will be joining the ut club!
Old Sep 8th 2005, 1:22 am
Lapine Member

Hi, an Austinite!

they have a spelunking club at your uni that I am going to attend. we dont have one in waco so I will be joining the ut club!
Loads of stuff at UT and elsewhere in Austin.

Ever fancy a pub quiz night, albeit extremely slanted towards American pop culture? We've several here.

I'm a Yank (sigh) but also an Anglophile. A few of us from this forumget together now and then. Stay tuned.
Old Sep 8th 2005, 5:14 am
Forum Regular

Smile Re: Really ashamed of some brits back home...

Loads of stuff at UT and elsewhere in Austin.

Ever fancy a pub quiz night, albeit extremely slanted towards American pop culture? We've several here.

I'm a Yank (sigh) but also an Anglophile. A few of us from this forum get together now and then. Stay tuned.
Sure - I plan to come down maybe once a month for the spelunking meeting on wednesday, if that falls on a quiz night then I'd like to come along. I'll stay tuned!

Old Sep 8th 2005, 12:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

jaytee is an unknown quantity at this point

Here's what I find odd: First, some British people were saying, "Oh, they deserve it." etc. etc. and now they have completely reversed course by sympathizing with the victims.

It's as if they got what they wanted and now they regret it.

Hi all,

Sorry to bring up the serious subject of hurricane katrina but something is really bugging me.

I am sure many of you rely on bbc news for good reporting of news events.
I sometimes check out the 'have your say' section and was reading the comments on the 'Hurricane Katrina: What next? ' part.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/talking_point/4207856.stm

Almost ALL the comments were pretty nasty digs at the US, the president or some aspect of the relief effort. I felt so bad. Talk about kicking someone when they are down. We are supposed to be 'allies' and 'friends' but all I read was smug satisfaction.

The US has been so good to me and the people so kind. I know that if some disaster happened in the UK then the comments from the US would be supportive and sympathetic.

Why can't we just say 'we are sorry what happened, can we help in any way?'

I really am ashamed to be British sometimes.
Old Sep 8th 2005, 2:46 pm
stara koka masna juha

cutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond reputecutina has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jaytee
Here's what I find odd: First, some British people were saying, "Oh, they deserve it." etc. etc. and now they have completely reversed course by sympathizing with the victims.

It's as if they got what they wanted and now they regret it.
I understand what you're saying, but people are onloy human, and if they stupidly thought that America deserves what happened, I'm sure that feeling it disappeared from most people when they realised how serious the situation was. I'm not saying that it's ok if 80 people die, it just shocks you into understanding how awful it is when you hear it is many, many more. And it is very human to change your feelings when you actually see the devestation.

When it first happened, and on the news they were saying it was 80 or so people, and then around 1000 died on the bridge in Iraq. People here were saying that it is clear that american lives were considered worth about 10 iraqis because of the news coverage. Now the same people are saying how awful the situation is, and i've seen them shook up by the enormity of the situation. I don't think they're bad people for saying what they said, and then having huge amounts of compassion for the USA afterwards.
Old Sep 8th 2005, 4:06 pm
Account Closed

Dimsie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by cutina
I understand what you're saying, but people are onloy human, and if they stupidly thought that America deserves what happened, I'm sure that feeling it disappeared from most people when they realised how serious the situation was. I'm not saying that it's ok if 80 people die, it just shocks you into understanding how awful it is when you hear it is many, many more. And it is very human to change your feelings when you actually see the devestation. .

I think, too, that in the UK it's not generally known how much poverty there is over here (I didn't fully know, before I came here). When more and more information appeared in the media about which section of the population was taking the brunt of the disaster, people perhaps modified their views, and felt sorry for being so harsh.