British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Realistic or pessimistic (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/realistic-pessimistic-721581/)

siandavies Jun 19th 2011 8:58 pm

Realistic or pessimistic

Hi,

I live in the UK and have been dating my US boyfriend for 18mths. He lives in Manhattan. I work as an environmental consultant here in the UK. We want to live together in Manhattan however, the more research I do the less likely it looks as though it will happen without our marrying first. Everything I have read says that recruiters are unlikely to take you seriously unless you are already living in the city and is it right that there are visa caps?

My partner thinks I am being 'glass half empty' but as I see it, the job market is tough anyway, and it will be even more difficult trying to find a company to sponsor me whilst I am still in the UK.

I'm not really sure what to do and whilst I know no one can tell me what direction to go in, I wondered if anyone could give me the benefit of their experience. I am doing well at my job in the UK, working hard and progressing, well thought of but I'm not sure how well this would transfer to the US job market and I am nervous about quitting my job here and moving over without any savings. Does anyone know what skills the US is seeking?

Any advice or opinions would be very much appreciated.

Thank you!

Bob Jun 19th 2011 9:54 pm

Re: Realistic or pessimistic

Welcome to BE!

And you're right, it is tough here, without the right to work, or US experience.

So get married would be your best bet...really depends what actually you do for work and who would sponsor you, but without US experience, it sounds like slim pickings.

scrubbedexpat099 Jun 19th 2011 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by siandavies (Post 9443007)
Hi,

I live in the UK and have been dating my US boyfriend for 18mths. He lives in Manhattan. I work as an environmental consultant here in the UK. We want to live together in Manhattan however, the more research I do the less likely it looks as though it will happen without our marrying first. Everything I have read says that recruiters are unlikely to take you seriously unless you are already living in the city and is it right that there are visa caps?

My partner thinks I am being 'glass half empty' but as I see it, the job market is tough anyway, and it will be even more difficult trying to find a company to sponsor me whilst I am still in the UK.

I'm not really sure what to do and whilst I know no one can tell me what direction to go in, I wondered if anyone could give me the benefit of their experience. I am doing well at my job in the UK, working hard and progressing, well thought of but I'm not sure how well this would transfer to the US job market and I am nervous about quitting my job here and moving over without any savings. Does anyone know what skills the US is seeking?

Thank you!

Have you networked?

GeoffM Jun 19th 2011 10:39 pm

Think of it this way: would a US company hire somebody that can start on Monday with no paperwork, or spend thousands of dollars and much time on a visa for a foreigner? If you're skilled enough to be above those that can be hired straight away then maybe the latter. If not...?

Regarding caps - some visas, yes. Others, no.

Many US citizens seem to think it would be easy for a foreigner to get a job. It's not, and it's probably not much different from a UK citizen's opinion of East Europeans getting a job in the UK, as right or wrong an opinion as that might be.

Reena81 Jun 19th 2011 11:02 pm

Hi,

Thank you!

I have a friend who was dying to get to NY. Marrying wasn't an option and she couldnt transfer through work...

May not be an option for you, but the only way she did it is by applying for an MBA in NYC. They aren't cheap, but she's just finished her 2 year course. As you know, it's a highly valued degree. As soon as your done, you can easily get a high paid job in Manhattan. Companies love MBA graduates and through your course networking, you should have a stunner job lined up before you graduate.

The 2 years will buy you time and then you have however many years with the company after. Not sure about visas and things, but you cant work as a student, so you'd have to have money saved up in advance.

Could also buy you time to marry!

You can do 1 year MBAs, but my point is, its your route to a working visa or an alternative aftwards. And then maybe a greencard after.

Bob Jun 20th 2011 12:23 am

Originally Posted by Reena81 (Post 9443163)
...As you know, it's a highly valued degree. As soon as your done, you can easily get a high paid job in Manhattan. Companies love MBA graduates and through your course networking, you should have a stunner job lined up before you graduate.

No they're not. They're dime a dozen. Everyone one has them to tick the masters box on the application.

A good institution helps, but only in the networking you mention...but it does as you say, get you time in the US.

Nutmegger Jun 20th 2011 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by Reena81 (Post 9443163)

As you know, it's a highly valued degree. As soon as your done, you can easily get a high paid job in Manhattan. Companies love MBA graduates and through your course networking, you should have a stunner job lined up before you graduate.

Sorry, but ROFL! The era when the MBA was the road to riches died along with the economy.

jackattack Jun 20th 2011 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 9444459)
Sorry, but ROFL! The era when the MBA was the road to riches died along with the economy.

I agree that it isn't a guaranteed route to a job with a high salary, but assuming that you can afford the eye-watering fees, if you can get into one of the top Business Schools then it isn't a bad suggestion as to a way to spend time in the US without having to get married.

I'm convinced that it is the reason that I got my H1-B visa.

Steve_ Jun 20th 2011 5:25 pm

Plus also the H-1B cap for people with advanced degrees fills up just as quickly anyway nowadays, although I haven't checked lately, maybe with the recession there's some minor hope.

But having been there, done that (I have an MBA), I am here to tell you that you are right in your assumption, if you get married it will be far easier because you don't have to have the immigration conversation with the employer.

Technically they aren't allowed to discriminate under the Civil Right Act but honestly just showing up at the POE with your US "boyfriend" and a pile of luggage in excess of what you take on holiday is going to raise eyebrows with CBP as that is a major indication of not having non-immigrant intent.

Steve_ Jun 20th 2011 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by jackattack (Post 9444824)
if you can get into one of the top Business Schools

In this economy, Wharton School of Business.

Bob Jun 20th 2011 10:29 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 9444837)
Plus also the H-1B cap for people with advanced degrees fills up just as quickly anyway nowadays, although I haven't checked lately, maybe with the recession there's some minor hope.

Not any more.

Last years allotment didn't fill up till early this year, end of Jan/Feb or there abouts.

Current lot has a way to go.

Bob Jun 20th 2011 10:31 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 9444843)
In this economy, Wharton School of Business.

Havard and Babson have good alumni networks...both very different parts of MA...where not just the schools are pricey :lol:

Reena81 Jun 20th 2011 11:35 pm

Originally Posted by Nutmegger (Post 9444459)

Dont agree at all. Many of the top companies still value them. A fresh candidate with an MBA, WILL get a better position and salary, over any other graduate. It may not be the fast track road to riches, but it's a very good start.

And a good way, after marriage, company transfer, etc to get into the USA and then solid employment after.

Reena81 Jun 20th 2011 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by Bob (Post 9443263)
No they're not. They're dime a dozen. Everyone one has them to tick the masters box on the application.

A good institution helps, but only in the networking you mention...but it does as you say, get you time in the US.

Defo agree that networking is the key to success.

Bob Jun 21st 2011 12:41 am

Originally Posted by Reena81 (Post 9445516)
Dont agree at all. Many of the top companies still value them. A fresh candidate with an MBA, WILL get a better position and salary, over any other graduate. It may not be the fast track road to riches, but it's a very good start.

And a good way, after marriage, company transfer, etc to get into the USA and then solid employment after.

But they're so common and meaningless these days. Everyone really already has one. They aren't giving you the edge that they once did.

All they do is tick the box, but then so will any masters.

It's all about experience once you get to those top job positions and who you know anyway.