Reload this Page >

Realistic or pessimistic

Realistic or pessimistic

Old Jun 19th 2011, 8:58 pm
Just Joined

siandavies is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Realistic or pessimistic

Hi,

I live in the UK and have been dating my US boyfriend for 18mths. He lives in Manhattan. I work as an environmental consultant here in the UK. We want to live together in Manhattan however, the more research I do the less likely it looks as though it will happen without our marrying first. Everything I have read says that recruiters are unlikely to take you seriously unless you are already living in the city and is it right that there are visa caps?

My partner thinks I am being 'glass half empty' but as I see it, the job market is tough anyway, and it will be even more difficult trying to find a company to sponsor me whilst I am still in the UK.

I'm not really sure what to do and whilst I know no one can tell me what direction to go in, I wondered if anyone could give me the benefit of their experience. I am doing well at my job in the UK, working hard and progressing, well thought of but I'm not sure how well this would transfer to the US job market and I am nervous about quitting my job here and moving over without any savings. Does anyone know what skills the US is seeking?

Any advice or opinions would be very much appreciated.

Thank you!
Old Jun 19th 2011, 9:54 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Realistic or pessimistic

Welcome to BE!

And you're right, it is tough here, without the right to work, or US experience.

So get married would be your best bet...really depends what actually you do for work and who would sponsor you, but without US experience, it sounds like slim pickings.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 9:55 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by siandavies
Hi,

I live in the UK and have been dating my US boyfriend for 18mths. He lives in Manhattan. I work as an environmental consultant here in the UK. We want to live together in Manhattan however, the more research I do the less likely it looks as though it will happen without our marrying first. Everything I have read says that recruiters are unlikely to take you seriously unless you are already living in the city and is it right that there are visa caps?

My partner thinks I am being 'glass half empty' but as I see it, the job market is tough anyway, and it will be even more difficult trying to find a company to sponsor me whilst I am still in the UK.

I'm not really sure what to do and whilst I know no one can tell me what direction to go in, I wondered if anyone could give me the benefit of their experience. I am doing well at my job in the UK, working hard and progressing, well thought of but I'm not sure how well this would transfer to the US job market and I am nervous about quitting my job here and moving over without any savings. Does anyone know what skills the US is seeking?

Thank you!
Have you networked?
Old Jun 19th 2011, 10:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

GeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond reputeGeoffM has a reputation beyond repute

Think of it this way: would a US company hire somebody that can start on Monday with no paperwork, or spend thousands of dollars and much time on a visa for a foreigner? If you're skilled enough to be above those that can be hired straight away then maybe the latter. If not...?

Regarding caps - some visas, yes. Others, no.

Many US citizens seem to think it would be easy for a foreigner to get a job. It's not, and it's probably not much different from a UK citizen's opinion of East Europeans getting a job in the UK, as right or wrong an opinion as that might be.
Old Jun 19th 2011, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

Reena81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Thank you!
I have a friend who was dying to get to NY. Marrying wasn't an option and she couldnt transfer through work...

May not be an option for you, but the only way she did it is by applying for an MBA in NYC. They aren't cheap, but she's just finished her 2 year course. As you know, it's a highly valued degree. As soon as your done, you can easily get a high paid job in Manhattan. Companies love MBA graduates and through your course networking, you should have a stunner job lined up before you graduate.

The 2 years will buy you time and then you have however many years with the company after. Not sure about visas and things, but you cant work as a student, so you'd have to have money saved up in advance.

Could also buy you time to marry!

You can do 1 year MBAs, but my point is, its your route to a working visa or an alternative aftwards. And then maybe a greencard after.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 12:23 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Reena81
...As you know, it's a highly valued degree. As soon as your done, you can easily get a high paid job in Manhattan. Companies love MBA graduates and through your course networking, you should have a stunner job lined up before you graduate.
No they're not. They're dime a dozen. Everyone one has them to tick the masters box on the application.

A good institution helps, but only in the networking you mention...but it does as you say, get you time in the US.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 2:17 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

As you know, it's a highly valued degree. As soon as your done, you can easily get a high paid job in Manhattan. Companies love MBA graduates and through your course networking, you should have a stunner job lined up before you graduate.
Sorry, but ROFL! The era when the MBA was the road to riches died along with the economy.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 5:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

jackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud ofjackattack has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Sorry, but ROFL! The era when the MBA was the road to riches died along with the economy.
I agree that it isn't a guaranteed route to a job with a high salary, but assuming that you can afford the eye-watering fees, if you can get into one of the top Business Schools then it isn't a bad suggestion as to a way to spend time in the US without having to get married.

I'm convinced that it is the reason that I got my H1-B visa.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 5:25 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Plus also the H-1B cap for people with advanced degrees fills up just as quickly anyway nowadays, although I haven't checked lately, maybe with the recession there's some minor hope.

But having been there, done that (I have an MBA), I am here to tell you that you are right in your assumption, if you get married it will be far easier because you don't have to have the immigration conversation with the employer.

Technically they aren't allowed to discriminate under the Civil Right Act but honestly just showing up at the POE with your US "boyfriend" and a pile of luggage in excess of what you take on holiday is going to raise eyebrows with CBP as that is a major indication of not having non-immigrant intent.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 5:27 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jackattack
if you can get into one of the top Business Schools
In this economy, Wharton School of Business.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 10:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Steve_
Plus also the H-1B cap for people with advanced degrees fills up just as quickly anyway nowadays, although I haven't checked lately, maybe with the recession there's some minor hope.
Not any more.

Last years allotment didn't fill up till early this year, end of Jan/Feb or there abouts.

Current lot has a way to go.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 10:31 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by Steve_
In this economy, Wharton School of Business.
Havard and Babson have good alumni networks...both very different parts of MA...where not just the schools are pricey
Old Jun 20th 2011, 11:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Dont agree at all. Many of the top companies still value them. A fresh candidate with an MBA, WILL get a better position and salary, over any other graduate. It may not be the fast track road to riches, but it's a very good start.

And a good way, after marriage, company transfer, etc to get into the USA and then solid employment after.
Old Jun 20th 2011, 11:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Bob
No they're not. They're dime a dozen. Everyone one has them to tick the masters box on the application.

A good institution helps, but only in the networking you mention...but it does as you say, get you time in the US.
Defo agree that networking is the key to success.
Old Jun 21st 2011, 12:41 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Dont agree at all. Many of the top companies still value them. A fresh candidate with an MBA, WILL get a better position and salary, over any other graduate. It may not be the fast track road to riches, but it's a very good start.

And a good way, after marriage, company transfer, etc to get into the USA and then solid employment after.
But they're so common and meaningless these days. Everyone really already has one. They aren't giving you the edge that they once did.

All they do is tick the box, but then so will any masters.

It's all about experience once you get to those top job positions and who you know anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.