Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

VISAs and future changes

VISAs and future changes

Old Feb 1st 2017, 7:26 am
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute
Default VISAs and future changes

Hey,

Sorry if this had been covered before but I didn't see an exact topic for it.

I'm in the process of waiting for a VISA for my new job offer (first time), eta is about 6 weeks or so.

It's likely to be E or L, not h1b of course.

The company I'm working for have said they would process green card after 2 years.

That all sounds good. However I'm increasingly worried about recent events, changes and what the future may hold.

In the first instance I'm not even sure we'll want to stay indefinitely, however in the interest of making plans and planning for the future I'm trying to think about what may happen or that could impact us.

I'm a vanilla UK national, no dual passport etc.

Of course no one can predict the future but are any expected or likely changes potentially going to impact me?

Am I putting myself in a potentially tricky situation or should I stop worrying at this stage?

I think I'm suffering from a certain level of doubt and cold feet, recent events are NOT helping in this respect.

Last edited by LouisB; Feb 1st 2017 at 7:28 am.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 8:04 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: VISAs and future changes

Originally Posted by LouisB
Hey,

Sorry if this had been covered before but I didn't see an exact topic for it.

I'm in the process of waiting for a VISA for my new job offer (first time), eta is about 6 weeks or so.

It's likely to be E or L, not h1b of course.

The company I'm working for have said they would process green card after 2 years.

That all sounds good. However I'm increasingly worried about recent events, changes and what the future may hold.

In the first instance I'm not even sure we'll want to stay indefinitely, however in the interest of making plans and planning for the future I'm trying to think about what may happen or that could impact us.

I'm a vanilla UK national, no dual passport etc.

Of course no one can predict the future but are any expected or likely changes potentially going to impact me?

Am I putting myself in a potentially tricky situation or should I stop worrying at this stage?

I think I'm suffering from a certain level of doubt and cold feet, recent events are NOT helping in this respect.
It's a 'how long is a piece of string' question, with the current POTUS then almost anything can, and will change, whether he does it legally or not. He has no experience and it's starting to show, he seems to be running the US as part of his business empire and it won't work.

Incidentally it's visa not VISA ( the one in caps is a credit card)
Old Feb 1st 2017, 10:57 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikelincs
Incidentally it's visa not VISA ( the one in caps is a credit card)
In Donald's world, the credit card is the preferred one.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 12:02 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... are any expected or likely changes potentially going to impact me?
Yes. What those changes might be, however, is anyone's guess. Since no one knows, you must assume that changes will affect you... until such time as you know they don't.

Ian
Old Feb 1st 2017, 12:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Get this in writing and baked into your deal with them.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

LouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond reputeLouisB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tom169
Get this in writing and baked into your deal with them.
Yes it is their policy and I've discussed with them.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 1:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
Yes. What those changes might be, however, is anyone's guess. Since no one knows, you must assume that changes will affect you... until such time as you know they don't.

Ian
If I assume they will impact me, I'll end up doing nothing (not moving) - how can I do that?

I need to take an educated view, at this stage nothing impacts me from working in US (other than protests and so on) that would not similarly impact me being in the UK and waiting. I guess it depends what the future holds and who knows on that right now.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 2:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

If I assume they will impact me, I'll end up doing nothing (not moving) - how can I do that?

I need to take an educated view, at this stage nothing impacts me from working in US (other than protests and so on) that would not similarly impact me being in the UK and waiting. I guess it depends what the future holds and who knows on that right now.
You can't live your life wondering 'What if???' If you did, you'd never leave your house.

S#!t happens and if it does you deal with it.

If you put your life on hold for 2 years (or more) and nothing untoward happens, then what? You're 2 years older and in the same place.

Personally, I don't think any of Trump's rules will have a major impact on a UK national working in the US.

But I've been wrong before... Once.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 2:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chawkins99
You can't live your life wondering 'What if???' If you did, you'd never leave your house.

S#!t happens and if it does you deal with it.

If you put your life on hold for 2 years (or more) and nothing untoward happens, then what? You're 2 years older and in the same place.

Personally, I don't think any of Trump's rules will have a major impact on a UK national working in the US.

But I've been wrong before... Once.
Hey, yes I agree.

Guess I'm just hoping for a little reassurance, naturally getting cold feet and recent events do not help at all.

I'll always stand shoulder to shoulder with any (decent) American, I'm sure I'll be among friends.

I just checked with HR and they say everything is fine and no impact.

I can only hope that remains the case, if not maybe it is not for me anyway - I suppose from that perspective I've nothing to lose really.

I'll just be careful to keep some spare cash and so on in case of a worst case emergency.

Hopefully things will settle down and in a year this will all be old news.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 2:33 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see how work visas for UK citizens whoe aren't dual nationals could get shut down unless there was a blanket prohibition on all work visas. Full stop.

Despite the media-led panic of the past few days, I don't see how we can get from a temporary delay on visa processing for citizens of handful of countries that are in a state of civil war and/or have no effective central government, plus Iran that has been heavily sanctioned by the US for almost 40 years, to a ban on work visas from nations that are friendly to the US. It simply isn't going to happen!
Originally Posted by chawkins99
.... I don't think any of Trump's rules will have a major impact on a UK national working in the US. ...
Agreed, you are undoubtedly correct.

Last edited by Pulaski; Feb 1st 2017 at 2:36 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 2:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

GeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond reputeGeneralPowerpoint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I don't see how work visas for UK citizens whoe aren't dual nationals could get shut down unless there was a blanket prohibition on all work visas. Full stop.

Despite the media-led panic of the past few days, I don't see how we can get from a temporary delay on visa processing for citizens of handful of countries that are in a state of civil war and/or have no effective central government, plus Iran that has been heavily sanctioned by the US for almost 40 years, to a ban on work visas from nations that are friendly to the US. It simply isn't going to happen!

Agreed, you are undoubtedly correct.
I think there's been a bit of panic recently about a leaked draft of an executive order that had implications for high-skilled visas in general.

It's made me a little nervous. I've already got my L2 but I haven't entered yet and I'm supposed to be flying Friday to apply for my EAD this weekend. If my entitlement to an EAD is in jeopardy I'll be in trouble.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 3:03 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

From yesterday's reading the E and L visas will be looked at more closely once they are issued. It was mentioned that random spot checks of the workplace will occur to insure that the position for which the visa was issued is in accordance with the job description. That doesn't seem to be an issue that you have to worry about if everything is above board.

Also you should be sure that if you need to be relocated back to the UK, that you have it in writing that the company will pay all expenses for the move and relocation costs for you and your family if family is going with you.

This is in response to Louis not GP

Last edited by Rete; Feb 1st 2017 at 3:11 pm.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 3:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeneralPowerpoint
I think there's been a bit of panic recently about a leaked draft of an executive order that had implications for high-skilled visas in general.

It's made me a little nervous. I've already got my L2 but I haven't entered yet and I'm supposed to be flying Friday to apply for my EAD this weekend. If my entitlement to an EAD is in jeopardy I'll be in trouble.
Right, this has nothing to do with the horribly botched ban for certain countries. Two other draft EAs have been leaked; one about skilled visas and one about deporting people who are immigrants and use welfare.

It's interesting that someone is leaking these EAs (previous leaks have proved accurate). Either that's a deliberate policy on the part of the Trump administration, or there's a "mole" in there.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 3:06 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
From yesterday's reading the E and L visas will be looked at more closely once they are issued. It was mentioned that random spot checks of the workplace will occur to insure that the position for which the visa was issued is in accordance with the job description. That doesn't seem to be an issue that you have to worry about if everything is above board.

Also you should be sure that if you need to be relocated back to the UK, that you have it in writing that the company will pay all expenses for the move and relocation costs for you and your family if family is going with you.
GeneralPpt is concerned because he is an L-2 holder, and certainly it is possible that the right to an EAD for L-2 holder could be withdrawn as a way of making L-1's less attractive.
Old Feb 1st 2017, 3:06 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GeneralPowerpoint

Why would you think this? I've not seen anything to indicate that L visa and its dependent visas were being revamped.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.