Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Real winter driving advice?

Real winter driving advice?

Old Dec 21st 2005, 11:41 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice
Default Re: Real winter driving advice?

Originally Posted by Chorlton
Thanks for the advice. I'll be in the San Juans in a few years, hopefully in a newer jeep with a better battery and snow tires
JEEP????

Junk
Each and
Every
Part.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 11:43 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Boiler
Actually chains might be an idea as well, we are talking real snow there.

Keep clear of Gunnison, for reasons I still do not understand, the temperature is usually 20 deg lower there in Winter.
Only use chains to get out of being stuck in a spot with no traction. They f**k up your wheel bearings if used too much.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 11:47 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jan_michigan
198 inches is a regular winter for us .... we're already up to 47inches, and as for freezing temps -30F do it for ya? I have no snow tires no chains no studs no plug in and no garage and my car does just fine thank you !
Drive carefully and slow down is my advice.

Jan
Lightweights!!! The Adirondacks can get 47 inches in a single night. One night last year we got 4 feet.
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 12:20 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
Lightweights!!! The Adirondacks can get 47 inches in a single night. One night last year we got 4 feet.
Which reminds me. How's my snow penguin coming along?

NC Penguin
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 12:25 am
Account Closed

Here's my advice.

If I am right you want advice about overnight parking without a garage. Not in specific order but all equally important.

1: Good battery is a must. However!!! What you need to look at is the battery specs. It will have "CCA" (Cold Cranking Amps) this is the ALL important number. Anything under 550 CCA and I personally would give it a miss. My own battery has 800 CCA and starts on the first spin from the remote starter. The higher the number the better it is at cold starting. A big battery doesn't neccessarily mean a good cold starting battery.

2: Tyres. Get a set of all seasons for spring, summer, autumn BUT get winter tyres for winter. Winterforce make a good aggressive winter tread pattern tyre and you have the option of having them studded which runs about $16 a tyre extra. Its a pain in the arse having to buy an extra set of tyres but "all seasons" are not really much cop in real snow and ice, barely even adequate infact and winter tyres get chewed up on hot dry roads.

3: Coolant. Get your vehicle flushed and refilled with new antifreeze safe to at least -40 to -60. If your coolant cant handle the cold temperature then the water will freeze and either pop out a cylinder block core plug, split a water hose or worse case crack the cylinder block. Cheap insurance really

4: Block heater/Remote starter. The first is a very good idea and the latter is for lazy spoiled bastards. I have both. The block heater keeps the engine coolant from freezing overnight and also has the added benefit of allowing the vehicle to warm up quicker. They're not expensive and relatively easy to fit (fit before have the antifreeze flushed and refilled). remote starters are basically to save you the expense of having to freeze your arse off by going outside and starting the car yourself. If I had to choose one I'd keep the block heater.

5: Carry a set of good quality jump leads. Not the cheap mickey mouse variety. Spare headlight/tailight bulbs (snow is a bastard to see through and most idiots try to drive through it on full beam instead of dipped, not realising that they are shortening their visibility. Obviously a mobile phone is a good idea in case your stranded out in the sticks somewhere. Blankets, flashlight and a few basic hand tools. A can of WD40 (helps stop and unstick frozen door locks).

6: Something like AAA membership or similar is also a good idea. especially if you have no clue about cars.

7: Regular oil change. Sounds stupid to include this for winter driving tips but cold starts kill engines more than anything. When the engine is cold the oil is thicker and therefore more "sluggish". Taking slightly longer to circulate around the engine on start up, leaving critical parts oil starved for longer. Also as you are planning to move to a different climate I would suggest checking what grade of oil to use from a main dealer in the new area. Its likely to be a thinner viscosity such as 5W/30 or similar if its a cold climate.

8: DON'T get in the habit of engine breaking in a 2WD car. On ice, engine breaking can cause the engine driven wheels to lock up sending you on a one way trip to "ouch". If your car has ABS there's no need to engine break at all. This is the main reason that HGV drivers never use the "Jake brake" (engine break) in icy conditions, recipe for a jack knife.

9: Tell someone where you are going. That way at least someone can call the emergency services when you fail to arrive at your destination. All because you ended up 200 yrds off the road in a snow filled ravine thinking you were Colin McRae.

Good luck

Last edited by rushman; Dec 22nd 2005 at 1:54 am.
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 12:25 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Which reminds me. How's my snow penguin coming along?

NC Penguin
Got the feet done.
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 12:26 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Here's my advice.

SNIP!!!...

Good luck

I'm sure this is all very useful advice, but are you a car anorak??
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 12:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eskimo
I had to put the heated seats on this morning for 10 mins (at 6am)
Why, did the temp drop down to 60F?
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 12:39 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Elvira
I'm sure this is all very useful advice, but are you a car anorak??
Yup. If it wasn't for cars i wouldnt want to live.

(Well cars and sex actually...in that order.)
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 12:42 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Yup. If it wasn't for cars i wouldnt want to live

(Well cars and sex actually...in that order.)

Now the sex thing I can understand, I'll give you that.

But cars? WTF...
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 12:51 am
Account Closed

Now the sex thing I can understand, I'll give you that.

But cars? WTF...
If you have to ask....you wouldn't understand.
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 1:10 am
Homebody

If you have to ask....you wouldn't understand.

I've had sex in cars you know...
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 1:19 am
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

We had 4 ft plus last year...6 ft in some places.......after 12 hours of snow we could not see the cars at all.......
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 1:32 am
Account Closed

I've had sex in cars you know...
Did you feel the need to tell me that?

I love cars. Specifically 1950's style Hot Rods.

I'm guessing you had a hot rod of your own in the back seat of those cars.
Old Dec 22nd 2005, 1:41 am
Homebody

Did you feel the need to tell me that?

I love cars. Specifically 1950's style Hot Rods.

I'm guessing you had a hot rod of your own in the back seat of those cars.

Oh I love it when you talk dirty

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.