Winter driving advice:

Don't do it.

career advice:

don't give up your day job
Old Dec 21st 2005, 6:40 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Real winter driving advice?

Originally Posted by Boiler
Normally it is in a garage, but there have been many times when not.

-10 here is not that bad, nothing like as cold as -10 would feel in the UK.

I have plenty of friends who leave their cars out year round with no issues.

I did get a new battery recently, Costco, not that much, but the old one was at least 5 years old.

The dog sits in the snow in the shade at well below 0.

Thanks for the advice. I'll be in the San Juans in a few years, hopefully in a newer jeep with a better battery and snow tires
Old Dec 21st 2005, 6:48 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Chorlton
Thanks for the advice. I'll be in the San Juans in a few years, hopefully in a newer jeep with a better battery and snow tires
Actually chains might be an idea as well, we are talking real snow there.

Keep clear of Gunnison, for reasons I still do not understand, the temperature is usually 20 deg lower there in Winter.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 6:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
snow tires?

remote starters?

garaged overnight?

heating pads?

a little melodramatic
whatever happened to an ice scraper and brushing the snow off?
*Ditto* Manc ..... was wondering what all the fuss was about
Old Dec 21st 2005, 7:05 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

This is for all you peeps already waist deep in snow. Someday, I'm going to be living up in the mountains and the last time I saw thick snow was back in the early 80's! So, does anyone leave their car out overnight? What do you need to do to protect it - are battery blankets and block heaters needed?
We have 3 cars out in the cold......-4 to -10 ........all start fine......2 are over 20 years old.......all you need is something to clear off the windows...and a good snow shovel.......
Old Dec 21st 2005, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

biccy has a brilliant futurebiccy has a brilliant futurebiccy has a brilliant futurebiccy has a brilliant futurebiccy has a brilliant futurebiccy has a brilliant futurebiccy has a brilliant future

Also, when thecar starts sliding on the ice/snow -- don't slam on the brakes, pump the pedal -- this seems to be the elementary mistake of people who did not learn to drive in places where there is ice/snow
Old Dec 21st 2005, 7:28 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

Normally it is in a garage, but there have been many times when not.

-10 here is not that bad, nothing like as cold as -10 would feel in the UK.

Not sure if I misunderstand....-10 in the US would feel exactly like -10 in Britain, assuming you are using the sale (F or C) system for both. If not, -10C in the UK is a balmy +14 F here.... never mind, I am soooo confuesd.

Cold weather driving tips: Good battery, in-like water heater to plug in at night, good all weather tires (unless on ice or mountains and state allows studded tires). Start accelerations very slowly, avoid spinning tires, start braking 3X farther away than w/o snow on road, increase following distance to 4 or more seconds behind other cars, look out for idiots who don't know how to drive in snow.

Also- always have AAA motorclub for Towing services, flat tires etc. A flat tire in -25f can be a death sentence.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 7:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

-10 in the UK with humidity and no sun chills you to the bones.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 7:36 pm
Maño-Americano

ironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond reputeironporer has a reputation beyond repute

-10 in the UK with humidity and no sun chills you to the bones.
Ahhh, understood. Thanks Spain had the same GD damp cold...cut right thru a body.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 7:46 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biccy
Also, when thecar starts sliding on the ice/snow -- don't slam on the brakes, pump the pedal -- this seems to be the elementary mistake of people who did not learn to drive in places where there is ice/snow
I though all decent cars had ABS now ...
Old Dec 21st 2005, 8:15 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by krizzy
We have 3 cars out in the cold......-4 to -10 ........all start fine......2 are over 20 years old.......all you need is something to clear off the windows...and a good snow shovel.......
Thanks, thats all I needed to know. I remember the driving bit - it was the garageless storage I was wondering about
Old Dec 21st 2005, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

SGTROD is just really niceSGTROD is just really niceSGTROD is just really niceSGTROD is just really niceSGTROD is just really niceSGTROD is just really niceSGTROD is just really niceSGTROD is just really niceSGTROD is just really niceSGTROD is just really niceSGTROD is just really nice

Originally Posted by jan_michigan
*Ditto* Manc ..... was wondering what all the fuss was about
198 inches of snow in one winter - all the drama you need.
Old Dec 21st 2005, 8:30 pm
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, thats all I needed to know. I remember the driving bit - it was the garageless storage I was wondering about
Sometimes the locks get iced up.....you can buy something for that ....just remember not to knock the ice off the bottom of the car...........that can take off the paint work.......
Old Dec 21st 2005, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SGTROD
198 inches of snow in one winter - all the drama you need.
198 inches is a regular winter for us .... we're already up to 47inches, and as for freezing temps -30F do it for ya? I have no snow tires no chains no studs no plug in and no garage and my car does just fine thank you !
Drive carefully and slow down is my advice.

Jan
Old Dec 21st 2005, 11:37 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

-10 would be about the lowest I would expect - so no heaters needed?
and that was without a garage? hmmmm
if you're going to live in mountains mate, expect it to be alot colder than -10c. it was -19c last night and the real cold hasnt got here yet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.