Reload this Page >

Real estate in California.

Real estate in California.

Old Sep 1st 2002, 11:25 am
Just Joined

alroyrob is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Real estate in California.

Hi,

Looking into relocating to California and wondered if anyone knows of an ideal place to live, regarding;

inexpensive real estate,
natural beauty,
climate,
public ammenities, etc..

We would prefer to live just outside a city or on the outskirts, rather than in the hustle and bustle of a big city.

Does such a place exist?

Thanks.
Alan.
Old Sep 1st 2002, 3:40 pm
Bob Grumbine

Default Re: Real estate in California.

alroyrob wrote:
> Hi, Looking into relocating to California and wondered if anyone knows of an
> ideal place to live, regarding; inexpensive real estate, natural beauty, climate,
> public ammenities, etc.. We would prefer to live just outside a city or on the
> outskirts, rather than in the hustle and bustle of a big city. Does such a place
> exist? Thanks. Alan.

Dunno if it meets all of your qualifications since I wasn't looking to relocate
there, but for natural beauty I found the Redding CA area to be quite nice. Not a
"big city" to start with, so no doubt you could find something worthwhile there. I
have no financial interest in the place, only found the environment attractive when I
went through there recently. Bob Grumbine :-)##

+++++++++++++++ # email [email protected] Robert E. "Bob" # postal PO
Box 260203, Lakewood CO 80226-0203 Grumbine, MBA # voice 303-232-4520 Bob's
travelogue is http://www.dime-
nsional.com/~bgrumbin/travel.htm

Old Sep 1st 2002, 5:28 pm
Ken

alroyrob <[email protected]> wrote in
news:402847.1030879557 @britishexpats.com:
    > We would prefer to live just outside a city or on the outskirts, rather than in the
    > hustle and bustle of a big city.

Nothing near a big city in California is going to be cheap. Prices do go down alot
in (most) rural areas, though, and most of California is rural.

Old Sep 1st 2002, 7:14 pm
Ron Clarey

In message <[email protected]>, alroyrob
<[email protected]> writes
    >Hi,
    >Looking into relocating to California and wondered if anyone knows of an ideal place
    >to live, regarding;
    >inexpensive real estate, natural beauty, climate, public ammenities, etc..
    >We would prefer to live just outside a city or on the outskirts, rather than in the
    >hustle and bustle of a big city.
    >Does such a place exist?
    >Thanks. Alan.
    >--
    >Posted via http://britishexpats.com
Doing a quick search on Google for "California Realtor" got me several sites one of
which is advertising property for $299,000 for the Bayview area. The houses seem
small but that could be the photos.
--
Ron Clarey Translaters.net
http://www.translaters.net

Old Sep 2nd 2002, 9:46 pm
Peter L

Don't know what you consider to be inexpensive real estate, but San Luis Obispo is
one fine place to live.

"alroyrob" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Hi,
    > Looking into relocating to California and wondered if anyone knows of an ideal
    > place to live, regarding;
    > inexpensive real estate, natural beauty, climate, public ammenities, etc..
    > We would prefer to live just outside a city or on the outskirts, rather than in the
    > Does such a place exist?
    > Thanks. Alan.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Sep 3rd 2002, 4:51 pm
Bill

There is no inexpensive real estate in California within 100 miles of the
Pacific Ocean.

San Luis Obispo, as someone mentioned, is *relatively* inexpensive by California
standards, but still very expensive compared with places outside California. Real
estate is less expensive north of San Luis over the Cuesta grade in Paso Robles or
Atascadero, but it's much hotter (climate negative).

Some people like the eastern Sierra mountains around Bishop, but there are no cities
(and therefore no amenities) nearby.

Bill

>"alroyrob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:402847.1030879557@britishexpats-
.com
    > Hi,
    > Looking into relocating to California and wondered if anyone knows of an ideal
    > place to live, regarding;
    > inexpensive real estate, natural beauty, climate, public ammenities, etc..
    > Does such a place exist?
    > Thanks. Alan.
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Sep 3rd 2002, 5:34 pm
Ken

"Bill" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

> There is no inexpensive real estate in California within 100 miles of the
    > Pacific Ocean.

California is a big state. There are several towns along the coast between Mendocino
and the Oregon coast with reasonable prices. You're going to be quite a distance
from any big city, though.

Ken

Old Sep 3rd 2002, 6:19 pm
Baby Sister

Bob Grumbine <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > alroyrob wrote:
    > > Hi, Looking into relocating to California and wondered if anyone knows of an
    > > ideal place to live, regarding; inexpensive real estate, natural beauty,
    > > climate, public ammenities, etc.. We would prefer to live just outside a city
    > > or on the outskirts, rather than in the hustle and bustle of a big city. Does
    > > such a place exist? Thanks. Alan.
    > Dunno if it meets all of your qualifications since I wasn't looking to relocate
    > there, but for natural beauty I found the Redding CA area to be quite nice. Not a
    > "big city" to start with, so no doubt you could find something worthwhile there. I
    > have no financial interest in the place, only found the environment attractive when
    > I went through there recently.

Redding, California
1. Real Estate is in bidding wars by the buyers - average house price now exceeds
$160,000 where the average wage probably doesn't hit $10.00/hr. Not good odds for
afforability unless you're retiring from an even more expensive area.
2. Natural Beauty - I love the veiws of the mountains and the big open skys of the
valley but it is dry, dry, dry, and hot, hot, hot in the summer months.
3. Public Amenities - Limited but improving, especially with the opening of Turtle
Bay Museum. Redding is three hours drive from the Sacramento airport and four to
five hours from San Francisco. The airport at Redding is very limited on it's
flights so travel can be a bit difficult. Employment is also very limited - it
is considered a good economic situation if the unemployment is below 10%. There
are a large number of welfare residents - It does cost less to live here than in
LA or SF or Sac. There is also a large number of retirees here - they sell their
homes in the city and buy a much bigger house here and force our property values
up, up, and up. They jobs that they create are in the service industry - you
know restaurant and fast food jobs and nursing home workers - not the highest
paid jobs around.

My advise - stay where you're at and let us try to keep a bit of a small town feeling
here. And, yes, I'm in a bad mood today.......

Old Sep 3rd 2002, 6:48 pm
Bob Grumbine

Baby Sister wrote:
> Redding, California
> 1. Real Estate is in bidding wars by the buyers - average house price now exceeds
> $160,000 where the average wage probably doesn't hit $10.00/hr. Not good odds
> for afforability unless you're retiring from an even more expensive area.
> 2. Natural Beauty - I love the veiws of the mountains and the big open skys of
> the valley but it is dry, dry, dry, and hot, hot, hot in the summer months.

I also love the surrounding national and state parks within a hundred mile drive of
Redding. Natural beauty is not only as seen from within the town itself, but where
you can get to in a short period of time.

> 3. Public Amenities - Limited but improving, especially with the opening of
> Turtle Bay Museum. Redding is three hours drive from the Sacramento airport
> and four to five hours from San Francisco. The airport at Redding is very
> limited on it's flights so travel can be a bit difficult. Employment is also
> very limited - it is considered a good economic situation if the unemployment
> is below 10%. There are a large number of welfare residents - It does cost
> less to live here than in LA or SF or Sac.

Dunno about the original inquirer, but I carry my employment with me. So long as I
can access a decent telephone line, the job carries on. Unless you're suggesting a
lack of DSL there, which would be a problem for some kinds of relocaters.

> There is also a large number of retirees here - they sell their homes in the city
> and buy a much bigger house here and force our property values up, up, and up.
> They jobs that they create are in the service industry - you know restaurant and
> fast food jobs and nursing home workers - not the highest paid jobs around. My
> advise - stay where you're at and let us try to keep a bit of a small town
> feeling here. And, yes, I'm in a bad mood today .......

Cool. You still have a nice town and I wish you the best in keeping it that way.
Bob Grumbine :-)##

+++++++++++++++ # email [email protected] Robert E. "Bob" # postal PO
Box 260203, Lakewood CO 80226-0203 Grumbine, MBA # voice 303-232-4520 Bob's
travelogue is http://www.dime-
nsional.com/~bgrumbin/travel.htm

Old Sep 4th 2002, 12:05 am
Sharx.

"Bill" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > There is no inexpensive real estate in California within 100 miles of the
    > Pacific Ocean.
    > San Luis Obispo, as someone mentioned, is *relatively* inexpensive by California
    > standards, but still very expensive compared with places
outside
    > California. Real estate is less expensive north of San Luis over the Cuesta
    > grade in Paso Robles or Atascadero, but it's much hotter (climate negative).
    > Some people like the eastern Sierra mountains around Bishop, but there are no
    > cities (and therefore no amenities) nearby.
    > Bill

So, aside from a grocery store and a medical clinic and a gas station...what more do
you REALLY need?

> >"alroyrob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:402847.1030879557@britishexpa-
    > ts.com
    > >
    > > Hi,
    > >
    > > Looking into relocating to California and wondered if anyone knows of an ideal
    > > place to live, regarding;
    > >
    > > inexpensive real estate, natural beauty, climate, public ammenities, etc..
    > >
    > > We would prefer to live just outside a city or on the outskirts, rather than in
    > > the hustle and bustle of a big city.
    > >
    > > Does such a place exist?
    > >
    > > Thanks. Alan.
    > >
    > > --
    > > Posted via http://britishexpats.com
    > >

Old Sep 4th 2002, 12:06 am
Sharx.

"Ken" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > "Bill" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:
    > > There is no inexpensive real estate in California within 100 miles of the Pacific
    > > Ocean.
    > California is a big state. There are several towns along the coast
between
    > Mendocino and the Oregon coast with reasonable prices. You're going to be quite a
    > distance from any big city, though.
    > Ken

I'd consider that a big PLUS. Big cities=traffic congestion=crime=big, big headaches.
Give me small town America ANY DAY of the week ending with a Y.

Old Sep 4th 2002, 12:09 am
Sharx.

"Baby Sister" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
om
    > Bob Grumbine <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > > alroyrob wrote:
    > > > Hi, Looking into relocating to California and wondered if anyone knows of an
    > > > ideal place to live, regarding; inexpensive real estate, natural beauty,
    > > > climate, public ammenities, etc.. We would prefer to live just outside a city
    > > > or on the outskirts, rather than in the hustle and bustle of a big city. Does
    > > > such a place exist? Thanks. Alan.
    > >
    > > Dunno if it meets all of your qualifications since I wasn't looking to relocate
    > > there, but for natural beauty I found the Redding CA area to be quite nice. Not
    > > a "big city" to start with, so no doubt you could find something worthwhile
    > > there. I have no financial interest in the place, only found the environment
    > > attractive when I went through there recently.
    > Redding, California
    > 1. Real Estate is in bidding wars by the buyers - average house price now exceeds
    > $160,000 where the average wage probably doesn't hit $10.00/hr. Not good odds
    > for afforability unless you're retiring from an even more expensive area.
    > 2. Natural Beauty - I love the veiws of the mountains and the big open skys of the
    > valley but it is dry, dry, dry, and hot, hot, hot in the summer months.
    > 3. Public Amenities - Limited but improving, especially with the opening of Turtle
    > Bay Museum. Redding is three hours drive from the Sacramento airport and four
    > to five hours from San Francisco. The airport at Redding is very limited on
    > it's flights so travel can be a bit difficult. Employment is also very limited
    > - it is considered a good economic situation if the unemployment is below 10%.
    > There are a large number of welfare residents - It does cost less to live here
    > than in LA or SF or Sac. There is also a large number of retirees here - they
    > sell their homes in the city and buy a much bigger house here and force our
    > property values up, up, and up. They jobs that they create are in the service
    > industry - you know restaurant and fast food jobs and nursing home workers -
    > not the highest paid jobs around.
    > My advise - stay where you're at and let us try to keep a bit of a small town
    > feeling here. And, yes, I'm in a bad mood today.......

When I retire I sure as Hell will NOT buy a larger house. Who, in their right mind,
once retired, wants to clean and maintain a huge house and yard? Not me!!

Old Sep 4th 2002, 4:59 pm
Baby Sister

<snip>
    > > There is also a large number of retirees here - they sell their homes in the city
    > > and buy a much bigger house here and force our property values up, up, and up.
    > > They jobs that they create are in the service industry - you know restaurant and
    > > fast food jobs and nursing home workers - not the highest paid jobs around.
    > >
<snip>
    > When I retire I sure as Hell will NOT buy a larger house. Who, in their right mind,
    > once retired, wants to clean and maintain a huge house and yard? Not me!!

You'd be shocked to see how big some of the houses that retirees are building/buying
in this area. Me, I'm happy with my little house, view of the mountains, and very
few neighbors....