Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Reagan is dead

Reagan is dead

Old Jun 7th 2004, 4:21 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by nxylas
Yes, but I don't think now is the appropriate time to be bringing them up. Let the man have his eulogies for now. I find it a little distasteful when people start dishing the dirt on someone who is barely cold (or "doing a Lynda Lee Potter", as I call it, as she is the leading expert in the poison-pen obituary).

I understand what you are saying, and certainly would not go to his funeral or lying in state and start talking against him. But he was a public figure, and his public record is open for scrutiny and discussion. If there are going to be statements regarding his record in office on a public forum, to tell you the truth I don't see why those statements should not be accurate. It is not "dishing dirt" as in washing dirty laundry in public. I do not refer to his personal life, but to what he did as President. The many thousands who suffered as a result of his policies should not have to keep silence just because their tormentor has died. On the contrary, many will want to speak up and set the record straight. They all have their dead family members too. I feel for them. I know some. It hurts.
Old Jun 7th 2004, 4:24 pm
Moderated

matt_in_philly is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Polaris_x ... bigot ...
You were told before that you you didn't even know what this word meant. Don't use the words bigger than you.
Old Jun 7th 2004, 4:26 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by matt_in_philly
You were told before that you you didn't even know what this word meant. Don't use the words bigger than you.
Alright Matt, let it go, I removed the offending post.
Old Jun 7th 2004, 4:28 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Originally posted by matt_in_philly
Believe it or not I mean no offense by sending this post. It’s merely an observation.

Amazing what starting and ending quotation marks mean to some people who went beyond watching Fox News. Read duncs' post again and this time pay attention to quotation marks. What you think he said in his post has **** all to do with what he actually said, either. Not only Grammar, you must have skipped Reading Comprehension in the 2nd grade as well. (Yes, I meant offense on the last one. I can't ignore idiots sometimes.)

Sorry you lost me there.

If it helps though a couple of points.

I am British and I was educated in the UK, gaining both my bachelors and masters degree in the UK.

If you still are not happy then by all mean write to me care of Harvard University.

Last edited by manc1976; Jun 7th 2004 at 6:40 pm.
Old Jun 7th 2004, 4:30 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Duncs, I think he was sticking up for you.
Old Jun 7th 2004, 4:35 pm
British/Irish(ish) Duncs

Location: Cambridge MA, via Mississippi and Belfast Northern Ireland.
Duncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant futureDuncs has a brilliant future

Originally posted by manc1976
Manc, I think you are right.

As for ElsieTheMaid. The posts were entirely my own opinions. The only cut and paste was the date of Lincolns 1854 speech as I knew of the speech but had to look up the exact date.
Old Jun 7th 2004, 5:00 pm
Moderated

matt_in_philly is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Duncs
Sorry you lost me there.

If it helps though a couple of points.

I am British and I was educated in the UK, gaining both my bachelors and masters degree in the UK.

If you still are not happy then by all mean write to me care of Harvard University.
Originally posted by manc1976

That's what happens when I study and post on a forum at the same time. The absence of tea contributes to the problem as well I guess.

Well now...

1. Duncs,
I was on your side and intended to point out that you used quotation marks when you used that "n....." word. Somebody was accusing you of using that word as a racial slur, so I wanted to say that you didn't do that. Clearly it was not your intention to make a racist remark. I believe you just pointed your finger at people who actually use and mean that word by all means.

2. "Google, copy&paste" easy there big fella.

Hope all clear now. Off to bed. Bye.

Last edited by manc1976; Jun 7th 2004 at 6:40 pm.
Old Jun 7th 2004, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Lion in Winter
Let's keep the man's actions in perspective, too. He backed and funded some of the world's most horrendous and murderous regimes in East Timor (remember the massacres?), in El Salvador, Honduras, Guatemala and Nicaragua (remember the use of drug money to get arms from Iran to the contras - Ollie North et al?).
Yes but in my view he did makes some changes, some were good and some were bad. I like Reagan for doing some good, he is no way as good as FDR but he did do some good a lot more than that scum Nixon.

Finally, I am not a republican but an Independent, I think if you compare Reagan to Bush 43 there is a very big difference. Not only did Reagan change things in the world he also made his country people more positive and up beat, inspiration to me is a good thing.
Old Jun 7th 2004, 5:09 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by veryfunny
Yes but in my view he did makes some changes, some were good and some were bad. I like Reagan for doing some good, he is no way as good as FDR but he did do some good a lot more than that scum Nixon.

Finally, I am not a republican but an Independent, I think if you compare Reagan to Bush 43 there is a very big difference. Not only did Reagan change things in the world he also made his country people more positive and up beat, inspiration to me is a good thing.

I'm fine with people being inspired, but I like it to be based on something more concrete than a mutual admiration society. Reagan repeated the mantra so much that people started to believe it. For example, Reagan took Bruce Springsteen's song, Born in the USA, and tried to use it as a congratulatory slogan, when in fact the song was critical of the acts of the US governemnt. Brucie boy had to speak up and remind people to actually listen to the words of the song. Reagan, like most people, had good and bad all mixed up I daresay, but he was responsible for some appalling things which should not be lost in a rosy hue because he has now died.
Old Jun 7th 2004, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Lion in Winter
I'm fine with people being inspired, but I like it to be based on something more concrete than a mutual admiration society. Reagan repeated the mantra so much that people started to believe it. For example, Reagan took Bruce Springsteen's song, Born in the USA, and tried to use it as a congratulatory slogan, when in fact the song was critical of the acts of the US governemnt. Brucie boy had to speak up and remind people to actually listen to the words of the song. Reagan, like most people, had good and bad all mixed up I daresay, but he was responsible for some appalling things which should not be lost in a rosy hue because he has now died.
Yes I know somethings about his dirty war.............................