British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Reagan is dead (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/reagan-dead-234707/)

effi Jun 5th 2004 9:03 pm

Reagan is dead

Just heard on the news that Reagan is dead.

Lesley1020 Jun 5th 2004 9:15 pm

Me too :( Just watching it on the news now - it's so sad, to look at him in years gone by. At least he died at home with his family by him.

ScousePete Jun 6th 2004 12:57 am

Re: Reagan is dead

Originally posted by effi
Just heard on the news that Reagan is dead.
93 was a pretty good run, though. I'd be happy to come within 20 years of that :D

LadyTyger Jun 6th 2004 1:36 am

May he rest in peace.

jambo_2004 Jun 6th 2004 2:27 am

He suffered for many years though...I remember seeing his wife on telly recently saying how he didnt know where he was and that he just stared into space all day. RIP

veryfunny Jun 6th 2004 4:03 am

He certainly made the world better than how he found it.

doctor scrumpy Jun 6th 2004 10:15 am

He did ? As far as I recall he nearly bankrupted the USA with his fiscal policies. A national debt of over a trillion dollars. Still compared to bush snr & junior he seemed a Einstien !

Duncs Jun 6th 2004 2:14 pm

Alzheimers is an awful disease and it probably comes as a relief at this point. He had forgotten everything which must have been very hard on Nancy.

As for his Presidency. Mixed review some good, some bad. Compared to Bush jnr though he was Abraham Lincoln.

veryfunny Jun 6th 2004 4:15 pm

Originally posted by Duncs
Alzheimers is an awful disease and it probably comes as a relief at this point. He had forgotten everything which must have been very hard on Nancy.

As for his Presidency. Mixed review some good, some bad. Compared to Bush jnr though he was Abraham Lincoln.
Completly agree with you on that one.

veryfunny Jun 6th 2004 4:21 pm

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
He did ? As far as I recall he nearly bankrupted the USA with his fiscal policies. A national debt of over a trillion dollars. Still compared to bush snr & junior he seemed a Einstien !
I was talking from a stand point that there was peace between the Soviet block and the western world. (Reduction in Nuclear bombs/arms race).

He certainly was not perfect but he did makes some good changes to the world.

Manc Jun 6th 2004 4:31 pm

The world has lost a great actor.

ironporer Jun 6th 2004 4:42 pm

No, Reagan never suspended Habeas Corpus, nor jailed Supreme Court Justices, nor arrested/imprisoned 13,000 citizens for protesting the war (or other such nefarius activities such as discouraging enlistment including political candidates opposed to him), nor tried dissenters in military tribumals.

Compared to Lincoln, some might argue that Bush2 was by far the more constitutional leader.

Duncs Jun 6th 2004 6:08 pm

Originally posted by ironporer
No, Reagan never suspended Habeas Corpus, nor jailed Supreme Court Justices, nor arrested/imprisoned 13,000 citizens for protesting the war (or other such nefarius activities such as discouraging enlistment including political candidates opposed to him), nor tried dissenters in military tribumals.

Compared to Lincoln, some might argue that Bush2 was by far the more constitutional leader.
Idiots like you maybe.

Lincoln did what was neccessary to protect the nations very existence. If Lincoln had not been successful the constitution wouldnt even exist. In that sense the temporary losses of freedom were worth it as a trade off to save the nation.

I suppose for you though he cant be forgiven for freeing those 'uppity niggers'?

Henry George Jun 6th 2004 6:34 pm

I suppose for you though he cant be forgiven for freeing those 'uppity niggers'?
SO I get slammed for telling some dumbass that it was their fault their cat is dead, but this guy can throw the N word around all day and no body sais shit???!!!! Come on!!!

doctor scrumpy Jun 6th 2004 6:34 pm

Of course, in times of trouble dispose of the parts of the constitution you find troublesome. Perfect democracy in action !

And for the record, Lincoln never freed all the slaves, just those slaves in states that were at revolt. The stated aim of the war was far from being as simple as ending slavery.