Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Ready Reckoner on life in each State/City?

Ready Reckoner on life in each State/City?

Old Mar 31st 2011, 3:58 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ready Reckoner on life in each State/City?

Originally Posted by Volt61
Really? Why must it be?
And I have to choose between those two now?
Well, they're examples aren't they.

You aren't going to find utopia, so it's a matter of what is more important to you that are a most, what you could live without, and everything in between.

Cost of living and climate are very easy things to figure out, that's why I suggested those first.

If you really don't want snow for more than a couple weeks of the year, that definitely rules out a chunk of the country.

If you definitely don't want to be spending $150K+ on a decent sized house, that'll rule out a good chunk of the country.

Whatever is left can slide around your priorities.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

rallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to all

I think that's the main thing - we'd all like to live in an utopian location, but lots of the requirements listed are contradictory to one degree or another.

If somewhere had the perfect climate (very little snow, not too hot summers) then the price of housing would probably be high, and families would love it. You can add in other things like summer humidity - you know what NC's humidity level is like, so depending on how you feel about that could also narrow down the choices even more.

A bit of land around your property for under $150k? How much land is a bit? Would that mean having to move out to the unincorporated areas rather than the edge of town, and if so, wouldn't that preclude a decent internet connection speed, due to the limitations of DSL for length of line and possibly lack of cable out of town?
Old Mar 31st 2011, 11:10 am
Banned

Volt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bob
Well, they're examples aren't they.
No you said I have to choose one or the other.

Originally Posted by Bob
You aren't going to find utopia
Who said anything about that?
Or are you, like a simpleton, deducing that known preferences suddenly become utopia?

Originally Posted by Bob
so it's a matter of what is more important to you that are a most, what you could live without, and everything in between.

Cost of living and climate are very easy things to figure out, that's why I suggested those first.

If you really don't want snow for more than a couple weeks of the year, that definitely rules out a chunk of the country.

If you definitely don't want to be spending $150K+ on a decent sized house, that'll rule out a good chunk of the country.

Whatever is left can slide around your priorities.
errrm...I know what I am doing, thank you very much. I did manage to get by in life so far without your words of wisdom.
I don't need to be lectured or patronized to by people who have nothing to do but feel that they must say something about even if its pretty much worthless.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 11:18 am
Banned

Volt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by rallybug
I think that's the main thing - we'd all like to live in an utopian location, but lots of the requirements listed are contradictory to one degree or another.
Again, I don't think my wishes are utopian.

A bit of land around your property for under $150k? How much land is a bit?
Don't know really but its not miles.
There is a large variance in this aspect so it depends on other factors.
If other things were in place and the land wasn't as large, I may still be happy with that.
Also, I didn't say under $150K. This amount is just a rough benchmark. I could go a bit higher if something was truly superb.

Would that mean having to move out to the unincorporated areas rather than the edge of town, and if so, wouldn't that preclude a decent internet connection speed, due to the limitations of DSL for length of line and possibly lack of cable out of town?
Perhaps, but there are thousands of towns and cities in the US, some of which could have their own internet infrastructure so living a bit further out may not be a problem.
I am sure there are lots of "pockets" of homes just outside the main towns in many areas where I might find what I like.

Also, DSL is not the only internet connection option.

Last edited by Volt61; Mar 31st 2011 at 11:20 am.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 11:54 am
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Or are you, like a simpleton, deducing that known preferences suddenly become utopia?

errrm...I know what I am doing, thank you very much. I did manage to get by in life so far without your words of wisdom.
I don't need to be lectured or patronized to by people who have nothing to do but feel that they must say something about even if its pretty much worthless.
You might want to guard against coming across as a complete and utter tit here, lest any remaining goodwill people have towards helping you by answering your thread dries up and vanishes.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonrob
You might want to guard against coming across as a complete and utter tit here, lest any remaining goodwill people have towards helping you by answering your thread dries up and vanishes.
Too right. Does s/he want help or not?
Old Mar 31st 2011, 1:34 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
Too right. Does s/he want help or not?
I don't know if it's relevant (probably not ) but IMHO, Europe is probably more likely to provide a solution than the USA, just going from the wishlist at any rate.

But that is probably irrelevant, as I said, since the OP probably would have considered that if he wanted to leave the US anyway.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I don't know if it's relevant (probably not ) but IMHO, Europe is probably more likely to provide a solution than the USA, just going from the wishlist at any rate.

But that is probably irrelevant, as I said, since the OP probably would have considered that if he wanted to leave the US anyway.
You're probably right, but then I expect English as a first language would make it onto the already overflowing list of crucial needs
Old Mar 31st 2011, 1:41 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

You're probably right, but then I expect English as a first language would make it onto the already overflowing list of crucial needs
That rules out quite a bit of even the Anglosphere anyway though when you think about it (in my experience anyway, and I mean by 'native' speakers for all the PC brigade who may have read this - taking the piss don't you know!)
Old Mar 31st 2011, 1:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
That rules out quite a bit of even the Anglosphere anyway though when you think about it (in my experience anyway, and I mean by 'native' speakers for all the PC brigade who may have read this - taking the piss don't you know!)
True He might have more luck with the map and dart method...
Old Mar 31st 2011, 1:44 pm
I have a comma problem

True He might have more luck with the map and dart method...
If and when I ever become rich, I'm using that method to choose where we go next on our round the world tour

Most people think my wife used that to choose me for some reason
Old Mar 31st 2011, 1:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Now your just being a tit.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 2:11 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

OP - you see how fast things head south when you get all grrr for no reason?

especially with a mod, and the popular one at that...
Old Mar 31st 2011, 3:48 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

OP - you see how fast things head south when you get all grrr for no reason?

especially with a mod, and the popular one at that...
Old Mar 31st 2011, 3:56 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

With that one statement you just ruled out most, if not all, of the US.

Or most places where they have those things called 'people'.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.