Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Ready Reckoner on life in each State/City?

Ready Reckoner on life in each State/City?

Old Mar 30th 2011, 9:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

rallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to allrallybug is a name known to all
Default Re: Ready Reckoner on life in each State/City?

Originally Posted by CandyBelle
...It should be adding you're also ruling out almost the entire mid-west due to weather....... is there anywhere left? :P
The UK
Old Mar 30th 2011, 10:35 pm
Forum Regular

CandyBelle is just really niceCandyBelle is just really niceCandyBelle is just really niceCandyBelle is just really niceCandyBelle is just really niceCandyBelle is just really niceCandyBelle is just really niceCandyBelle is just really nice

Originally Posted by rallybug
The UK
My sentiments exactly.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 10:38 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Volt61
Here's a list of don't wants
Not very hot or very cold for most of the year and no overcast skies/gloomy weather (like in the NE area) and definitely no snow for anything more than a few days a year.
No extreme or stormy weather, tornadoes et al
Not far from a large city/cities (max say 1-2 hours drive) that I can visit if I need/want.
No overly left or right political views or state policies.
No areas with very few trees around my home and in the neighborhood generally
Not very expensive housing so I can buy a decent home for say $150K or so and also have some land around it (not oodles).
No average to high crime
No overly trendy/hip places, with 20 somethings (or less) more or less dominating choices/facilities (I have no kids nor plan to have any)
Near a university town is OK as long as they don't create the previous point for my area
Not where internet infrastructure is not modern/up to date
No areas that have no natural features nearby like mountains, woods, forests, lakes, rivers, etc.
Nothing really remote (nearest neighbor to be 100-500 yards away, but not much further ideally)
No areas overrun with moms in SUVs and kids screaming - I like children but not when there's a gang of them

That's enough to start I think.

On actually reading your list (I didn't before), the Willamette Valley in Oregon would be just right for you. You'd have to go a little farther afield to get a house + land that cheap but you should look at Salem, Yamhill, McMinville, places like that. You can have a vineyard.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 10:55 pm
Banned

Volt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by nethead
Ooops I meant NW not NE . I'm not sure what Volt would class as a geologically unstable if he discounts earthquakes and volcanoes
I am not discounting them but they are hardly an every day or even regular/frequent occurrence for, say, 99% of the population of Continental USA.

The map referenced above and your above statement are mostly theory and I don't think this qualifies as "proof" of somewhere that is "geologically unstable" (save for what has been recorded as occurring, which are well known and very infrequent) and which have had an actual impact on people/homes/buildings, which is what really matters.

There have been earthquakes in Britain too but I doubt anyone there talks about them in a worried/frightened/anxious way with "what are we going to dooooo" type questions and making plans to move out of the area.

If that is the measure, then almost the whole world is geologically unstable because it "might" happen sometime somewhere.

Last edited by Volt61; Mar 30th 2011 at 10:57 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 10:59 pm
Banned

Volt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bob
By the sound of things, you're ruling out the entire East and West coast based on either weather and cost.
Not me, my likes/dislikes/age of life are.
But those two things are pretty big items for most people.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 11:00 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by rallybug
The UK
Not even at the point of a gun.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 11:02 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by meauxna
you should look at Salem, Yamhill, McMinville, places like that. You can have a vineyard.
I will add those towns to my list.
But isn't Oregon just a tiny tad less bad and lefty/liberal/in love with Barry & Nancy than CA?
I also read that people were leaving the state in droves due to poor outlook.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 11:16 pm
Banned

kjk1977 has a spectacular aura aboutkjk1977 has a spectacular aura aboutkjk1977 has a spectacular aura about

But isn't Oregon just a tiny tad less bad and lefty/liberal/in love with Barry & Nancy than CA?
I had a co-worker from Oregon and she swore a lot, loved her gun, drove a pickup, wore camouflage, smashed beer cans on her head, ate squirrel and hated Deomcrats
Old Mar 30th 2011, 11:31 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

The only really liberal bit is Multnomah County (City of Portland), the rest of the Willamette Valley is quite normal. Not aware of people leaving in droves, in fact the Portland Metro area is anticipated to increase the population quite bit over the next 15 years.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 11:43 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kjk1977
I had a co-worker from Oregon and she swore a lot, loved her gun, drove a pickup, wore camouflage, smashed beer cans on her head, ate squirrel and hated Deomcrats
Do I know you?

Originally Posted by lansbury
The only really liberal bit is Multnomah County (City of Portland), the rest of the Willamette Valley is quite normal. Not aware of people leaving in droves, in fact the Portland Metro area is anticipated to increase the population quite bit over the next 15 years.
What he said. ^^
Anywhere outside the metro area but West of the Cascades would probably suit your list just dandy.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
I never completed that site's test before today, interesting results.

Las Vegas, Las Cruces and Portland. Number 4.. Little Rock! Let's all move there!
Followed by Salem, Eugene and Corvallis. I gave too many Oregon-centric answers.
Sorry, Little Rock was only ranked 10th for me so I won't be joining you
Old Mar 31st 2011, 12:03 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Not me, my likes/dislikes/age of life are.
But those two things are pretty big items for most people.
Well it's about priorities ain't it....what's more important? Cost of housing v climate?

I've a BIL renting a 4-5 bed house with utilities included up in Maine, on the sea waterfront for $700 a month, we've got cousins in Maine with a 5 bed house and a few acres of land, mortgage, utilities, everything all in for about a grand...about half of the rental for an apartment down my way.

They do get more snow for their troubles than a bit further down in MA though.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 1:31 am

Originally Posted by lisa67
Sorry, Little Rock was only ranked 10th for me so I won't be joining you
I don't remember anything about it, but I just found out one of my neighbors was born there.
Actually, Arkansas has a lot of niceness about it. And mountains nearby.
Old Mar 31st 2011, 1:43 am
Banned

Originally Posted by kjk1977
So that's where she went to!
Old Mar 31st 2011, 1:44 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Bob
Well it's about priorities ain't it....what's more important? Cost of housing v climate?
Really? Why must it be?
And I have to choose between those two now?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.