Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Ready Reckoner on life in each State/City?

Ready Reckoner on life in each State/City?

Old Mar 30th 2011, 5:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Ready Reckoner on life in each State/City?

My husband is very big on wanting to live somewhere that is geologically stable. That really narrows down your area when thinking of somewhere
Old Mar 30th 2011, 5:23 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sir_eccles
It was more the age group and maturity. Portland was way to mid-twenties hipster. ................... In the end though some friends reminded us that if we couldn't take the weather forget it (see current location).
City of Portland is fairly like that, the olde folks live out in the burbs, or adjoining cities. Portland isn't just the city of that name it is the Metro area. In Milwaukie about half the population is 50+.

But I agree the weather is something else. AZ in the winter Portland in the summer.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 5:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by avanutria
OK, we can work with that. Here are my opinions (which may vary from others) on states you should avoid based on what you don't want.

Not very hot or very cold for most of the year and no overcast skies/gloomy weather (like in the NE area) and definitely no snow for anything more than a few days a year.

This will be your most useful determining factor, I think. It cuts out the following: Too hot: Southern California, Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Missisippi, Alabama, Georgia, Florida, South Carolina. Too cold: Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire, Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, New Jersey, Michigan, Wisconsin, Minnesota, probably North Dakota, Montana. No overcast days: Oregon, Washington state.

Not far from a large city/cities (max say 1-2 hours drive) that I can visit if I need/want.

This will cut out *part* of nearly every state.

No overly left or right political views or state policies.

You'll need to decide for yourself what constitutes "overly".

No areas with very few trees around my home and in the neighborhood generally

Cuts out Nebraska - trust me, I've driven through it. Wyoming. Probably also Kansas and Oklahoma but natives may disagree, I've not been to those. May cut out Idaho, I forget how many trees they put in Boise.

Not very expensive housing so I can buy a decent home for say $150K or so and also have some land around it (not oodles).

Cuts out the rest of California. I don't know about the other states.

No average to high crime

I don't know. I'm guessing this cuts out Washington DC, though.

No overly trendy/hip places, with 20 somethings (or less) more or less dominating choices/facilities (I have no kids nor plan to have any)

This will cut out pretty much all cities I would imagine...maybe look for areas popular with middle aged and retired people?

Near a universities town is OK as long as they don't create the previous point for my area

I don't think you're going to find this if you also don't want to be around families and young people. Who's going to go to the university?

Not where internet infrastructure is not modern/up to date

You'll have to use this as one of your last determining factors as there's no way to predict facilities in various regions.

No areas that have no natural features nearby like mountains, woods, forests, lakes, rivers, etc.

Cuts out (in my having-driven-through-them opinion) Nevada, Indiana, Illinois, Iowa.

Nothing really remote (nearest neighbor to be 100-500 yards away but not much mores)

Probably cuts out South Dakota, but I haven't been there.

No areas overrun with moms in SUVs and kids screaming - I like children but not when there's a gang of them

Hm, stereotype much? You'll have to determine "overrun" for yourself.

This leaves you with the following potential states, and most of these I either have not been to or haven't been to in decades, so can't rule them out:

Maryland, Delaware, West Virginia, Colorado

Still on the list but may be too hot: Virginia, North Carolina, Kentucky, Tennessee, Missouri

Still on the list but got "possibly" somewhere above: Idaho, Kansas, Oklahoma
Bloody hell you're not too picky are you

Originally Posted by meauxna
I think this site is similar to what you are requesting.

http://www.findyourspot.com/

That site always tells me I should live in Little Rock AR.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 5:36 pm
Banned

Volt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by nethead
Bloody hell you're not too picky are you
No, not really (answered in the hilarious Karl Pilkington style).

But I think I can find a place for me, something that I think we all would ideally like even and if it didn't tick all of the minor boxes (I haven't listed those )

Last edited by Volt61; Mar 30th 2011 at 5:51 pm.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 6:19 pm
Banned

Volt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to allVolt61 is a name known to all

My husband is very big on wanting to live somewhere that is geologically stable.
errm... isn't that what most people have as a tick box?
Old Mar 30th 2011, 6:20 pm
Banned

I think this site is similar to what you are requesting.

http://www.findyourspot.com/
The top choice was a smaller town in the state where I am now !!
Old Mar 30th 2011, 6:29 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Volt61
The top choice was a smaller town in the state where I am now !!
Well there you go. Sorted.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 6:31 pm
Banned

Well there you go. Sorted.
Only I don't like it here.
Still, I will check it out as otherwise I will always wonder.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 6:39 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I never completed that site's test before today, interesting results.

Las Vegas, Las Cruces and Portland. Number 4.. Little Rock! Let's all move there!
Followed by Salem, Eugene and Corvallis. I gave too many Oregon-centric answers.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 6:43 pm
Banned

I never completed that site's test before today, interesting results.

Las Vegas, Las Cruces and Portland. Number 4.. Little Rock! Let's all move there!
Followed by Salem, Eugene and Corvallis. I gave too many Oregon-centric answers.
So are you anywhere near those areas?
Old Mar 30th 2011, 6:44 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

I gave too many Oregon-centric answers.
Doesn't that mean you're in the right place for you?
Old Mar 30th 2011, 7:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

errm... isn't that what most people have as a tick box?
Umm not many of those in the US, so I guess not for lots of people.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 7:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Certainly not here

Quite interesting to weigh up where one would move if there were no employment constraints.
Old Mar 30th 2011, 7:21 pm

So are you anywhere near those areas?
Yes.

Originally Posted by avanutria
Doesn't that mean you're in the right place for you?
Or I'm fully assimilated. I think I need to remind everyone that I always thought I was a California girl. I guess you can never go home (but it looked so very tempting last time we went through!).
Old Mar 30th 2011, 7:26 pm
Banned

Really?
I know CA is iffy with earthquakes but that's their own fault really.

I am not aware of many other places in the USA that are unstable - otherwise how would anything get done, homes built, etc..?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.