Reading UK

Old May 15th 2012, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

Back2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura about
Default Reading UK

Are there any people from Reading on this forum.

We are looking rent in Reading or surrounding areas, so that we have an easy commute to London airports and rail links into London.

Can you recommend a great location?
Old May 15th 2012, 6:54 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Reading UK

Originally Posted by Back2UK
Are there any people from Reading on this forum.

We are looking rent in Reading or surrounding areas, so that we have an easy commute to London airports and rail links into London.

Can you recommend a great location?
Hi Back2UK, I use to live just 30 minutes from Reading and this was my nearest decent town. I use to shop there a lot and plan do do so again when I return .
I wouldn't live in Reading itself although I don't know a lot about all the estates, I know there are some rough areas.
Perhaps look in the outskirts in Earley, Winnersh, Wokingham, Theale, etc.
Good luck
Old May 15th 2012, 7:52 pm
Forum Regular

Back2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura aboutBack2UK has a spectacular aura about

Thanks Lorry1 that does help.

I was looking at some of the areas mentioned below including Henley on Thames. I used to live in a hamlet in Warwickshire, which I loved for the quietness, however I do like having access to a town or city for shopping etc.

Originally Posted by Lorry1
Hi Back2UK, I use to live just 30 minutes from Reading and this was my nearest decent town. I use to shop there a lot and plan do do so again when I return .
I wouldn't live in Reading itself although I don't know a lot about all the estates, I know there are some rough areas.
Perhaps look in the outskirts in Earley, Winnersh, Wokingham, Theale, etc.
Good luck
Old May 15th 2012, 8:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

I live a few miles south of Reading, in a village. Henley is gorgeous, although very pricey.

My husband commutes in to London from Wokingham so it's definitely commutable from around here, shout with any questions and I'll try and help.

Old May 15th 2012, 8:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I live a few miles south of Reading, in a village. Henley is gorgeous, although very pricey.

My husband commutes in to London from Wokingham so it's definitely commutable from around here, shout with any questions and I'll try and help.

Thank you so much, I may take you up on the extra questions.

So what is Workingham like?
How long does it take your husband to commute to London?
Old May 15th 2012, 8:19 pm
Banned

LA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really niceLA2JHB is just really nice

Its all horrible. Why on earth would you move to Reading of all places?
Old May 15th 2012, 9:40 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much, I may take you up on the extra questions.

So what is Workingham like?
How long does it take your husband to commute to London?
Originally Posted by LA2JHB
Very helpful

Wokingham is a nice town. It has a high street with most shops in that you would want/need and plenty of pubs and good restaurants. Reading is just 10/15 minutes away by car and 4 stops on the train, so very easy to get to a larger town.
Close by is Finchampstead with California Country Park if you like walking it has a nice lake.
I like Berkshire, have lived there many years. We moved from Sandhurst when we came to Canada. Sandhurst is lovely and still has a village mentality. Unfortunately there is not a direct train to London from here, you would have 1 change.
Old May 15th 2012, 10:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by LA2JHB
Its called work!!!!
Old May 15th 2012, 10:14 pm
Forum Regular

Very helpful

Wokingham is a nice town. It has a high street with most shops in that you would want/need and plenty of pubs and good restaurants. Reading is just 10/15 minutes away by car and 4 stops on the train, so very easy to get to a larger town.
Close by is Finchampstead with California Country Park if you like walking it has a nice lake.
I like Berkshire, have lived there many years. We moved from Sandhurst when we came to Canada. Sandhurst is lovely and still has a village mentality. Unfortunately there is not a direct train to London from here, you would have 1 change.
Thank you Lorry1, your info has been very informative.
Old May 15th 2012, 10:33 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Also look at places like Charvil, Spencers Wood, and Swallowfield.

I used to live in Spencers Wood and loved it. It had (and still does have) a rural feel about it, and yet was pretty close to everything. Rush hour is a nightmare though where ever you live around Reading, so if you are looking at working in the city centre you will need to give yourself at least 45 mins min to get to work in the mornings from the locations I've mentioned above.
Old May 15th 2012, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sue
Also look at places like Charvil, Spencers Wood, and Swallowfield.

I used to live in Spencers Wood and loved it. It had (and still does have) a rural feel about it, and yet was pretty close to everything. Rush hour is a nightmare though where ever you live around Reading, so if you are looking at working in the city centre you will need to give yourself at least 45 mins min to get to work in the mornings from the locations I've mentioned above.
Thank you.

Both of us will work outside of Reading and are very used to travel mayhem from travelling the M1 and M6 and other major routes. We are just looking for somewhere nice to live but within easy reach of London and its airports.

I shall certainly check out them places.
Old May 16th 2012, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

It may also depend which rail line to London you would prefer to be on. Wokingham, Winnersh and Earley are all on the (slower) Waterloo line rather than the (faster but very busy) Paddington line. Twyford is another area you may wish to look at, or even Woodley.
Old May 16th 2012, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

Closer to Reading is Dinton Pastures (located between Woodley, Winnersh and Hurst) if that is of interest.
Old May 16th 2012, 2:42 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
Closer to Reading is Dinton Pastures (located between Woodley, Winnersh and Hurst) if that is of interest.
Thank you, that does help.

I will need a car as it is my one of my work tools lol. As for the OH he could be travelling to one or 3 of the London Airports so we stuck a pin in a map and came up with the Reading area.

There is a possibility that both of us could be working in London so we will face the commuting nightmare if it happens.
Old May 16th 2012, 3:37 am
BE Forum Addict

I will need a car as it is my one of my work tools lol. As for the OH he could be travelling to one or 3 of the London Airports so we stuck a pin in a map and came up with the Reading area.
If required, there is the RailAir bus between Reading station and Heathrow, and also a train between Reading and Gatwick (that train normally stops at Wokingham, but not Earley or Winnersh I believe). Other airports close to London (Stansted, Luton) are not quite so easy to reach as LHR & LGW.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.