Wikiposts

read this

Old Sep 22nd 2005, 11:30 am
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: read this

Originally Posted by Hiro11
fighting...urge...to...respond...to...thread....

I should preface this by saying that I'm not an expat, and I did read threads like this so I understand where this site is coming from. I know my place and I should probably just keep my pie hole shut...but I can't.

Suffice it to say, ladies and gentlemen, you now have insight into how I (and I'm sure other Americans I've found who lurk here) feel about the vast majority of the threads we see here. Examples:

"Why can't I find English sausage/bread/beer etc here?"

"American Football is boring even though I haven't a clue as to how it's played!"

"I saw an American do X, therefore all Americans do X!"

To me, the shallow, generalized "observations" and petty complaints that comprise the vast majority of threads here are just as misguided and absurd as what you've read. In other words, this forum is made up almost entirely of exactly the same sort of stuff you're blasting this sheltered girl for now.

I know you're probably just having a laugh, but this slots too neatly into the infuriating stereotype of "ignorant America" that seems to have entranced the entire world these days. After hearing it repeated daily in seemingly every newspaper/media outlet around the world daily, these (completely false or at least over simplified) criticisms have started to sting.

Take a look in the mirror before judging.
I can understand how an American on this forum might get a bit upset at some of the posts. The ones which take the piss out of "ignorant America" and stereotype all Americans must be particularly infuriating. I do think that, to a certain extent, you need to learn to laugh at yourself (as a nation, not as an individual!) I find stereotypes of British people and British culture, for the large part, absolutely hysterical.

What I find strange about your post is the examples of thread types which annoy you;

"Why can't I find English sausage/bread/beer etc here?" - to be fair, it's more often "Can I find...?" or "Where can I find...?" In other words, it's not that people are surprised that the brands are different over here, it's just that they have compared the two, have found the American brands to be vastly inferior (or just plain not what they are used to) and are missing the stuff from "back home". It can be found over here, so asking on a public forum where to get it seems perfectly reasonable to me.

"American Football is boring even though I haven't a clue as to how it's played!" I'm sorry, but any game which takes 3 1/2 - 4 hours to get through 60 minutes of actual play time is, by definition, boring. I've never seen a thread complaining about it, though. I don't understand why you take it as a personal insult, or "anti-American". I find cricket boring too but that doesn't make me anti-British (or Australian, or Indian....)

"I saw an American do X, therefore all Americans do X!" Most comments of this ilk are more along the lines of "An American did/said X - how dumb is that?" It's taking the piss out of individuals, not out of a nation. Visit any American expat board and you will find precisely the same kinds of threads about what Brits have said to them. It's just funny!

The main point from the OP's article was statements like this:
Nowhere else in the world do people truly believe that they are entitled to everything and actually receive it. We take everything for granted in America because we have never known otherwise.
And she says it like it's a good thing - to take everything for granted, to demand rights, to waste food and generally be a throw-away society.

As far as I'm concerned, small children take everything for granted, demand their rights with no thought to their responsibilities and don't care about waste. As you grow up, you realise that what you thought were rights are in fact privileges which you have to earn by way of certain responsibilities to society.
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 1:24 am
strangely floppy..

CarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond reputeCarlM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
fighting...urge...to...respond...to...thread....

I should preface this by saying that I'm not an expat, and I did read threads like this so I understand where this site is coming from. I know my place and I should probably just keep my pie hole shut...but I can't.

Suffice it to say, ladies and gentlemen, you now have insight into how I (and I'm sure other Americans I've found who lurk here) feel about the vast majority of the threads we see here. Examples:

"Why can't I find English sausage/bread/beer etc here?"

"American Football is boring even though I haven't a clue as to how it's played!"

"I saw an American do X, therefore all Americans do X!"

To me, the shallow, generalized "observations" and petty complaints that comprise the vast majority of threads here are just as misguided and absurd as what you've read. In other words, this forum is made up almost entirely of exactly the same sort of stuff you're blasting this sheltered girl for now.

I know you're probably just having a laugh, but this slots too neatly into the infuriating stereotype of "ignorant America" that seems to have entranced the entire world these days. After hearing it repeated daily in seemingly every newspaper/media outlet around the world daily, these (completely false or at least over simplified) criticisms have started to sting.

Take a look in the mirror before judging.
Its safe to say most Brits are aware of their shortcomings - and we also love to laugh at our fish-belly white countrymen on the beach, and our ludicrous attempts at speaking other languages. But for us its all about fun. Why does any comment that an American doesnt like end up categorized as Anti-American..?

You need to lighten up, and not take it personally - we all took the time, and made the effort and commitment to move here (to the land of free speech!) and we are Brits sharing Brit humor. If it offends you, stop reading - we would still all be having a wonderful fun time without you quite frankly!
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 2:41 am
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

I can't seem to get the link this morning but managed to read it yesterday.

American supermarkets also have rows of empty shelves. I went to Wegmans last night and the Heinz Beans shelf was completely empty and so was the Patak's Curry Sauce shelf.
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 2:44 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandpete

American supermarkets also have rows of empty shelves. I went to Wegmans last night and the Heinz Beans shelf was completely empty and so was the Patak's Curry Sauce shelf.
Tonic water....what is going on with that? No Schweppes and no Canada Dry, not just at one store but 2! Am I drinking THAT much?
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 2:46 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully there's not many smokers in your neighborhood, an open flame such as a cigarette lighter could take out a few city blocks.
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 2:47 am
Failed Expat ;-)

NJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
Tonic water....what is going on with that? No Schweppes and no Canada Dry, not just at one store but 2! Am I drinking THAT much?
Drink Shoprite brand instead. They never run out
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 2:54 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
Hopefully there's not many smokers in your neighborhood, an open flame such as a cigarette lighter could take out a few city blocks.
Eeeeewwww good point, the curried bean caper
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by NJ_Dave
Drink Shoprite brand instead. They never run out
Yep we like Shoprite, never tried their tonic, I will explore
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 2:56 am
Failed Expat ;-)

NJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Yep we like Shoprite, never tried their tonic, I will explore
Just add a little gin and a piece of lime, and you'll swear you're drinking schweppes
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 2:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lionheart
PMSL!!!!
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 2:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

All those hours of posting on BE.....its come to this! You're drinking the grocery stores dry..
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 3:00 am
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

Eeeeewwww good point, the curried bean caper
Someone must have been having problems because there was no Weetabix either.
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 3:02 am
Failed Expat ;-)

Someone must have been having problems because there was no Weetabix either.
Beans + curry sauce + weetabix = a lot of people farting sawdust
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 3:03 am

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
All those hours of posting on BE.....its come to this! You're drinking the grocery stores dry..
There's actually six of us posting in relay, while the others scour NJ for tonic

Last edited by gruffbrown; Sep 23rd 2005 at 3:13 am.
Old Sep 23rd 2005, 3:04 am

Originally Posted by NJ_Dave
Beans + curry sauce + weetabix = a lot of people farting sawdust
A great cure for constipation

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.