Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Re-wire UK lamps?

Re-wire UK lamps?

Old Dec 22nd 2016, 1:13 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: How about a lava lamp?

Originally Posted by tonrob
Ok electro-boffins - upping the ante here.

I have a Mathmos lava lamp decorated with 12 years worth of dust. I'm sure that the sproutlet would love it, but any ideas how I go about converting this bugger? I've done a few searches over the years to try to find a US voltage bulb but turned up empty-handed.

Asking now on the incredibly slight off-chance that someone's solved the same problem.

Thanks in advance.
I have all manner of lava lamps gleaned from yard sales at around a buck apiece. Might be a good alternative?
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 7:58 am
Just Joined

cmsebast is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Re-wire UK lamps?

Originally Posted by uk_grenada
So why did america screw itself with low power circuits? Because quite rightly, the american authorities decided americans would kill themselves with higher voltages... the distribution system is fine at similar very high voltages but in houses delivering higher energies is just more wasteful / expensive to deliver.
Actually, we have both voltages available in our houses in the U.S., it is just that the outlets are wired with the lower voltage. When I move back to the U.S. I fully intend to take a couple of British kettles with me and pop a couple of 240v outlets in the kitchen so I can continue to enjoy quickly boiled water!

Also I believe that most job sites in the UK require the use of transformers and lower voltage power tools, so there must be some logic in the idea.
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 1:46 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by King Gimp
Have you tried these folks?

https://www.1000bulbs.com/
Thanks, but I think the one I need may the the 1001th bulb...
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 1:47 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I have all manner of lava lamps gleaned from yard sales at around a buck apiece. Might be a good alternative?
Thanks for the suggestion. I've never seen a lava lamp at a yard sale, but I guess I could increase my chances by starting to go to yard sales.
Old Dec 22nd 2016, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

Asg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond reputeAsg123 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cmsebast
Actually, we have both voltages available in our houses in the U.S., it is just that the outlets are wired with the lower voltage. When I move back to the U.S. I fully intend to take a couple of British kettles with me and pop a couple of 240v outlets in the kitchen so I can continue to enjoy quickly boiled water!

Also I believe that most job sites in the UK require the use of transformers and lower voltage power tools, so there must be some logic in the idea.
I have an ordinary 120V, 1500W kettle, and it boils water (about 3 cups) in 3 minutes.

They're inexpensive, and you can buy them easily from stores, though of course they're not given nearly as much shelf-space as coffee-makers.
Old Dec 23rd 2016, 1:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

We had a nice, old wooden standing lamp I wanted to bring. I did so then bought a cheapo standing lamp from Walmart, took the wiring and bulb socket out of it and put it in my lamp. Still going strong 10-years later. $8.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays...Brown/21778200
Old Dec 23rd 2016, 3:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

You realize this probably isn't code. But nothing stopping you having a 220v outlet for a range/oven you don't have.
Old Dec 23rd 2016, 3:59 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mrken30
You realize this probably isn't code. But nothing stopping you having a 220v outlet for a range/oven you don't have.
MrKen is right - and in any case "just running a cable" for 240v is a lot easier said than done, not least because 240v cables in the US are monstrously thick, and then to stand any chance of being "to code", the plug and socket are also huge, much bigger than British 13A plugs and sockets.

So, my recommendation would be to invest in an induction stove (cooker), as they are very efficient and you can use a stove-top kettle to boil water extremely quickly, because you have access to something like 30A of power (maybe more, depending on the ring you use) and can use that to heat a single cup of water in a stove-top kettle. If you're making even two mugs of tea, if you put the kettle on to boil, it will have boiled by the time you have got the mugs and tea from the cupboard and the milk from the fridge, literally, I am not joking!

I don't know if Lowes, Home Depot and other appliance retailers hold induction stoves in stock yet, but even if you have to order one it is absolutely worth doing. If you look in the shop showroom for a "traditional" stove from the same manufacturer and range of appliances you will see what you'd be getting if you ordered an induction stove

Induction stoves are incredibly efficient because they cause the pan/kettle to become hot directly, unlike a traditional electric or gas cooker which creates heat under the pan and hopes that most of the heat migrates upwards, but in practice much of the heat escapes round the edge of the pan and makes the kitchen hot. The difference is especially noticeable in summer. Also, the power is instantly controllable - if you have a kettle with a whistle it will stopl whistling within two seconds of you turning the heat off, a pan with water bubbling up doesn't need to be moved because turning the heat off stops the bubble rising. Even if a pan boils over you can just pick up the pan and wipe up the spill with a damp cloth because the glass surface is never hotter than the liquid in the pan.
Old Dec 23rd 2016, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

cmsebast is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pulaski
MrKen is right - and in any case "just running a cable" for 240v is a lot easier said than done, not least because 240v cables in the US are monstrously thick, and then to stand any chance of being "to code", the plug and socket are also huge, much bigger than British 13A plugs and sockets.
I was thinking of just putting in some UK outlets, which I suppose wouldn't be to code. But if one were to go by the book, I would think a NEMA 6-20 outlet backed up by some regular ol 12/2 would do the trick!
Old Dec 23rd 2016, 7:49 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

When I move back to the U.S. I fully intend to take a couple of British kettles with me and pop a couple of 240v outlets in the kitchen so I can continue to enjoy quickly boiled water!
My father did this long, long ago. There were no fast-boiling 110v kettles sold anywhere in the USA back then. He was very handy around the house, but the 220v socket definitely wasn't to code. The second kettle, bought at Tesco in the mid-90s, just stopped working this year....