Reload this Page >

Re: Russian adoption

Re: Russian adoption

Old Mar 24th 2013, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

jaja1234 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Russian adoption

Hello,

I am new to this site so please excuse any mistakes. I have been reading some posts by Sunnyarizona and I noticed you replied to them. I am a single mum from the UK..Living in the USA with my Russian adopted son. He has a Russian and US passport and when we applied for a UK passport for him it was rejected and they took the money! They gave me no idea what to do just stated that it was not entitled to it. I really would like to know what happened to Sunnyarizona when she applied using the MN1 form. But I can't seem to contact her.

Thanks in advance Jackie
Old Mar 24th 2013, 1:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jaja1234
Hello,

I am new to this site so please excuse any mistakes. I have been reading some posts by Sunnyarizona and I noticed you replied to them. I am a single mum from the UK..Living in the USA with my Russian adopted son. He has a Russian and US passport and when we applied for a UK passport for him it was rejected and they took the money! They gave me no idea what to do just stated that it was not entitled to it. I really would like to know what happened to Sunnyarizona when she applied using the MN1 form. But I can't seem to contact her.

Thanks in advance Jackie
He...welcome to BE.

I have moved your post into a thread of it's own.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Mar 24th 2013 at 9:38 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2013, 3:48 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Adopted Children aren't citizens by descent like birth children. We filled out form MN1 to register our adopted child as a UK citizen first then applied for her UK passport. You have to have all the paperwork from the adoption and the adoption has to be from a country that the UK approves adoptions from, I know someone here had problems with one of the South American countries.
Old Mar 24th 2013, 5:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
He...welcome to BE.

I have moved your post into a thread of it's own.

Sunnyarizona was around a week ago...hopefully she'll be back soon.
Thanks so much...this is such a complex issue, she seems the only person that would know the true answer...just in case you see her online, would you be as kind as to tell her to contact me.

Thanks

Last edited by jaja1234; Mar 24th 2013 at 5:34 pm.
Old Mar 24th 2013, 5:18 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks so much...this is such a complex issue, she seems the only person that would know the true answer...
It's not complex. You have to apply on form MN1 to get the child registered as a British citizen before you can apply for a British passport.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/br...adoptedabroad/

Was your son born in Russia and then adopted? Are you a U.S. citizen as well as British?
Old Mar 24th 2013, 5:21 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Not really a good idea posting your email address on a public forum, but you're old enough to know better.

If you want to contact a poster, make 3 posts, which allows you to use the PM function, and just PM the poster.
Old Mar 24th 2013, 5:24 pm
Just Joined

Hello,

Well my son has a Russian birth Cert and is a US citizen. I have duel citizenship. UK and USA. The letter I received from the home office, just said no, because of article 23 of the Hague convention.
Old Mar 24th 2013, 5:25 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
Not really a good idea posting your email address on a public forum, but you're old enough to know better.

If you want to contact a poster, make 3 posts, which allows you to use the PM function, and just PM the poster.
so sorry Bob, can you take it off. what is the PM function?
Old Mar 24th 2013, 5:28 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Well my son has a Russian birth Cert and is a US citizen. I have duel citizenship. UK and USA. The letter I received from the home office, just said no, because of article 23 of the Hague convention.
What you say doesn't make sense, if you applied for a passport it doesn't go to the Home Office. Anyway, your son probably doesn't get automatic citizenship under the provisions dealing with Hague Convention adoptions. However, you've been told what you need to do and given the information needed regarding form MN1 etc ....

Something else you need to know is that for an adopted child, a U.S. passport is not sufficient proof of U.S. citizenship. Child's status must also be accepted by U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services, you need to (if not already done) complete form N-600 for a Citizenship Certificate.
Old Mar 24th 2013, 5:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
What you say doesn't make sense, if you applied for a passport it doesn't go to the Home Office. Anyway, your son probably doesn't get automatic citizenship under the provisions dealing with Hague Convention adoptions. However, you've been told what you need to do and given the information needed regarding form MN1 etc ....

Something else you need to know is that for an adopted child, a U.S. passport is not sufficient proof of U.S. citizenship. Child's status must also be accepted by U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Services, you need to (if not already done) complete form N-600 for a Citizenship Certificate.
Thanks,

He has a naturalization cert, that has been done and form N 600 ..You are right it does not make sense..I could not agree with you more! However the letter I received is from the home office and they do not tell me to fill in form MN1 they say no, because of article 23 of the Hauge.
Old Mar 24th 2013, 5:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

they do not tell me to fill in form MN1 they say no, because of article 23 of the Hauge.
Think of it from another perspective. You sent in an application for something that your child wasn't eligible for and they told you that/ It's not their responsibly to dole out advice on what you should or need do, that's what adoption services and lawyers are for since they should know the laws and get the whole details of your case.
Old Mar 24th 2013, 5:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Think of it from another perspective. You sent in an application for something that your child wasn't eligible for and they told you that/ It's not their responsibly to dole out advice on what you should or need do, that's what adoption services and lawyers are for since they should know the laws and get the whole details of your case.
Yes I agree, I may need a solicitor to help me, if it is at all possible.
Old Mar 24th 2013, 5:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

so sorry Bob, can you take it off. what is the PM function?
Private Message.

Click on the users name, left of a post they have made and you get a drop down with one of the options to PM the poster. Hit that, send them a message.
Old Mar 24th 2013, 6:18 pm
JAJ
Retired

Thanks,

He has a naturalization cert, that has been done and form N 600 ..You are right it does not make sense..I could not agree with you more! However the letter I received is from the home office and they do not tell me to fill in form MN1 they say no, because of article 23 of the Hauge.
Sigh. Their decision was correct. Stop wasting time trying to challenge it and get on with applying for your son to be registered as a British citizen.

They don't tell you what other options you have. That's not their job.

Did you read the information in post #5?
Old Mar 24th 2013, 6:29 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JAJ
Sigh. Their decision was correct. Stop wasting time trying to challenge it and get on with applying for your son to be registered as a British citizen.

They don't tell you what other options you have. That's not their job.

Did you read the information in post #5?
Yes thanks I did, I am by no means trying to challenge it. Want to get all the documents in order and correct! No Embassy close by that I can ask and a little confused as to what docs we need. I guess the lady that posted a year ago, will hopefully have the right answers for me having adopted a child from a non Hague country,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.