Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Re Overstay post one and two

Re Overstay post one and two

Old Oct 23rd 2002, 8:30 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Re: Re Overstay post one and two

[QUOTE][SIZE=1]Originally posted by lisahill:
However shortly after that I was on the net and I came across
http://www.usais.org/gcl_application.htm
where I was able to put in an application, when i got to what country are you from, the united kingdom was one of the options available...

So i put in and paid for my application and that of my spouses.

is aanyone else familier with this site.
Have a look round it, it seems to be helpfull and ligitimate or once again have i justbeen screwed for $70.00

Lisa: You've just been screwed for $70.00

I've just looked at that site and it is scandalous how similar it looks to the *official* US govt. INS (Dept. of Justice) site; go to this site and look almost to the bottom on the home page, towards the right hand side. It has a section re; the Diversity Green Card scheme and how to enter the lottery, via a link on to a different website especially for the lottery.

It clearly shows that people from the United Kingdom cannot participate *except* those from Northern Ireland (probably due to a clause put in under pressure from Senator Edward Kennedy....).

Here is the Official INS site (which also shows the various visa categories): http://www.ins.usdoj.gov/graphics/index.htm

The Green Card Lottery info (for 2004) which is open for applications now (but not for Brits from the mainland - stress - only Ulster - Northern Ireland):

http://travel.state.gov/DV2004.html

Sorry to give you bad news. Please, please phone the Florida State Attorney's office and ask for their advice on this dodgy attorney you've hired. He's probably scamming hundreds of people.....
Old Oct 23rd 2002, 8:44 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re Overstay post one and two

Lisa; I just did the "quiz" myself to see if I qualified. I'm from England but you can only type in "United Kingdom".

Of course, it then said that "Congratulations - you qualify" when the official US Diversity Lottery site (given on my previous post) clearly states that citizens of the UK (except N.Ireland) cannot enter the lottery scheme. This also applied for the 2003 entries too.

You should immediately get on to their customer services (To help your case, print off the official site information stating that you can't enter) and ask for them to stop the credit card payment or agree to cancel the cheque.

Also call your credit card company and explain that you wish to cancel the transaction and explain why you're not going to pay for it.

Yet another example of people doing a scam on the unwary.
Old Oct 23rd 2002, 8:46 pm
Stuart Brook

lisahill wrote:
    > ok 3 questions... or areas where help would be appreciated...
    > 1. can anyone teach me to spell LOL just kidding... ok in all
    > seriousness.
    > 1)I read somewhere on the internet that if you have come in on an visa
    > waiver there is no form for legal reprucusion,is that true ? i dont know
    > what it means...
    > Does it mean that i cant take legal action against my attorney or does
    > it mean that if i am refused admision to america i cant go for legal
    > action against my refusel???

You can't take legal action or appeal a refused entry.

Spelling ... just keep taking the pills :-)

Stuart

Old Oct 23rd 2002, 11:25 pm
Ingo Pakleppa

On Wed, 23 Oct 2002 12:29:32 -0700, lisahill wrote:

> ok 3 questions... or areas where help would be appreciated...
    > 1. can anyone teach me to spell LOL just kidding... ok in all
    > seriousness.
    > 1)I read somewhere on the internet that if you have come in on an visa
    > waiver there is no form for legal reprucusion,is that true ? i dont know
    > what it means...
    > Does it mean that i cant take legal action against my attorney or does
    > it mean that if i am refused admision to america i cant go for legal
    > action against my refusel???

This only affects immigration law, so you can't take legal action if you
aren't admitted.

Doing something about the attorney would be a civil matter, completely
different. Visa waiver does not prohibit that.

Old Oct 24th 2002, 6:41 pm
Just Joined

lisahill is an unknown quantity at this point
Default thanks

anyone know if its true about not being able to touch the attorney as he's operatinbg out of florida ?
and theres that special law ???
I will call the attoreney state general
xxx
Old Oct 24th 2002, 7:48 pm

Would appreciate it Lisa if you keep the board informed of any progress.

If you don't want to go to the UK, have you considered any other countries to emigrate to?
Old Oct 24th 2002, 11:26 pm
Account Closed

Folinskyinla is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by lisahill
Hi,
My name is Lisa...
I read both of the threads below with great interest as I am actually in a similer situation myself... Let me explain...
I have been coming to asmerica with my british husband for about four years and actually prefer it to my own country and wish to live here.
We have been coming over on the green visa waiver form.
My desire to move here is so much so that I recently consulted an awttorney who asssured me that it was possible for him to get us an extention on our green visa waiver and also that the general idea was that while we were here on the extension the application that he is apparently making for temporiy residency would go through. He is now apparently working on it...
I was told that the reason wer would be able to get an extension on our visa was DUE to the fact that we were applying for residencey.
x
Hi:

I recommend you get a SECOND OPINION. And take copies of all of your paperwork and anything related to your US immigration history.

I often get consulted for second opinions by people wondering what the hell their lawyers are doing. Unfortunately, the Immigration Laws are so bloody complicated, they give JUDGES indigestion in trying to understand them. [I will make a posting about "Judicial Frustration" momentarily.

When I am consulted, I often find that the lawyer is doing precisely what is needed but the client has misunderstood. Also, there are other times I tell the client to consult with a good legal malpractice attorney. Still other times, I can say that **I** would have done it differently, but the attorney's method is clearly within the standard of care due a client. And other times, circumstances have changed since a case started.

I see the possiblity of ALL of these in your posting, so I won't make any direct comment. I'm not your attorney and I don't know your case.

Good luck!