Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Re: 'Man's Best Friend' New Orleans - Help!!!

Re: 'Man's Best Friend' New Orleans - Help!!!

Old Sep 3rd 2005, 10:33 pm
Account Closed

sam/stu is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: 'Man's Best Friend' New Orleans - Help!!!

Please let me know that someone is assisting all the animals and pets that have been stranded in the hurricane area. I have just watched a really distressing news report (UK)- I want to cry about all the family pets that have been left behind. Surely someone will go and help out - Obviously, people will take care of their families first but please don't let your family pets perish. There are so many dogs that have been traumatised and they don't understand what is happening to them. Can someone let me know if there is a link I can log onto to find out how I can help?
Sam x
Old Sep 3rd 2005, 11:21 pm
Stuff and Nonsense

Russ&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond reputeRuss&Jayne has a reputation beyond repute

The Humane Society...

https://secure.hsus.org/01/disaster_relief_fund_2005?

And some reports from them...

http://www.hsus.org/hsus_field/hsus_...the_field.html

http://www.hsus.org/hsus_field/hsus_..._flooding.html
Old Sep 3rd 2005, 11:26 pm
Account Closed

Thank you so much - at least someone cares - I have got myself so upset.
Sam from the UK.
Old Sep 3rd 2005, 11:49 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sam/stu
Please let me know that someone is assisting all the animals and pets that have been stranded in the hurricane area. I have just watched a really distressing news report (UK)- I want to cry about all the family pets that have been left behind. Surely someone will go and help out - Obviously, people will take care of their families first but please don't let your family pets perish. There are so many dogs that have been traumatised and they don't understand what is happening to them. Can someone let me know if there is a link I can log onto to find out how I can help?
Sam x
Person at my workplace feels the same as you. She recommends making a donation to the Humane Society (please search for their website). Perhaps there's an Animal Protection Society (APS) of New Orleans. Do an internet search...

NC Penguin
Old Sep 4th 2005, 12:00 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Person at my workplace feels the same as you. She recommends making a donation to the Humane Society (please search for their website). Perhaps there's an Animal Protection Society (APS) of New Orleans. Do an internet search...

NC Penguin
I am sure that loads of people are softies like me - this is a major disaster - both for people and animals - the only difference is that the gov. will help out people because it looks good for the election polls. Unfortunately dogs/cats don't vote.
Old Sep 4th 2005, 12:02 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

I hate to say it, but I honestly think that pets are not part of the rescue priority. In fact, I just read an article today which said that although people are being plucked from rooftops in New Orleans, once rescued nothing is being done to help those people locate missing family members -- as in other people, not animals. The situation is so dire down there, animals are surely not at the top of the priority list, whether we like it or not.

My best suggestion would be to donate money to an animal welfare group working to help rescue pets from the Gulf Coast areas hit by Katrina. Here are links to a couple of the major ones:

Humane Society of the United States

ASPCA - American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals

American Humane Association

Best Friends Animal Society

Houston SPCA

Houston Humane Society

You can read about the animal rescue efforts in this USA Today article, it might give you some ideas of where to direct your assistance.

A lot of local county animal shelters in various states are trying to take in as many stranded pets as possible, so it might be worthwhile to do a search for those in Texas, Mississippi, Louisiana, etc. and see if any of them need assistance (I'm sure they do, they always do).

Those who live near the area where the refugees are being taken (Texas, etc.) might consider taking in a couple of animals and sheltering them, even if only temporarily.

~ Jenney
Old Sep 4th 2005, 1:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
I hate to say it, but I honestly think that pets are not part of the rescue priority. In fact, I just read an article today which said that although people are being plucked from rooftops in New Orleans, once rescued nothing is being done to help those people locate missing family members -- as in other people, not animals. The situation is so dire down there, animals are surely not at the top of the priority list, whether we like it or not.
I have to agree with this. I know people do think of pets, especially when they're not in this dire situation, but these people are dying down there. And there are people that have died because of this situation, and are being left to rot on the street. How far up the priority chain do you think animals are going to be?
Old Sep 4th 2005, 2:03 am
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

The SPCA of Dallas actually rescued and brought to Dallas 100 animals today. Many organisations are trying to help and they have already started house to house rescue - in fact I have a sneaking suspicion that the animal aid agencies are a lot more organised than FEMA.

SPCA Update.

In addition they are also going to be minding the pets of some people who managed to evacuate with them but are unable to take them into the shelters.
Old Sep 4th 2005, 3:03 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snorkmaiden
In addition they are also going to be minding the pets of some people who managed to evacuate with them but are unable to take them into the shelters.
We in Austin have volunteer foster homes for pets of the evacuees. If evacuees are living here, they can seek pet supplies, including food, for their pets, though I don't think pets are allowed in the shelters. OTOH, there are plenty of people opening their homes to evacuees.

http://www.austinspca.com/
Old Sep 4th 2005, 4:05 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

I have heard some are being eaten....
Old Sep 4th 2005, 4:07 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
I have heard some are being eaten....
Well, if that's what it would take to survive, fine.
Old Sep 4th 2005, 4:11 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Well, if that's what it would take to survive, fine.
I agree .. Horse is best ..but I could never eat a whole one ...
Old Sep 4th 2005, 4:15 am
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Ray
I agree .. Horse is best ..but I could never eat a whole one ...
Best as in personal taste or nutritional value?
Old Sep 4th 2005, 4:18 am
Ray

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Best as in personal taste or nutritional value?
When one has to........ one does.... quantity of course ...
Old Sep 4th 2005, 4:22 am
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Ray
When one has to........ one does.... quantity of course ...
But if you can't ever finish one, then I would think that would be wasteful. Wouldn't two dogs be better?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.