Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

re-locating, what do I do first?

re-locating, what do I do first?

Old Jul 3rd 2010, 4:10 pm
Forum Regular

meshwill is an unknown quantity at this point
Default re-locating, what do I do first?

Re-locating to Connecticut in August, yippee!!, due to come over for a scouting trip end of July.
Question is what do I do first or rather what can I do?
I'm presuming I need to sort a rental property in order to secure a school, but how do I do this with no credit history in the US?
When we eventually move over lock stock etc I need to apply for a SSN, pass CT driving test, buy car, etc etc.
Can anyone advise what else I need to do and in what order if necessary?
Many thanks!
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 4:18 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: re-locating, what do I do first?

All depends how your relocating. What visa will you have?

Where you go to school, that depends on where you live, without credit history, just dump a larger deposit, it's usually first/last and anything up to 3 months worth anyway. Letter from employer and previous bank balance can always help too.

For the car, check out the CT state DMV website for what you need. Depending on the visa you have to get here would determine how you get your SSN.

What else you need to do, read the wiki, it covers a lot such as getting credit history and a credit card, what you need for school like vaccination records and the jabs you'll need.
Old Jul 3rd 2010, 6:39 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

As your husband will be employed by a local company, you can certainly get them to do a letter confirming his employment and vouching for him. With whom do you bank in the UK? HSBC opened a branch in Ridgefield a year or so ago (if you are still looking at Ridgefield) and the manager is a real go-getter, looking to grow their local market share. If you by any chance bank with HSBC you could look into your bank manager contacting the manager here and getting you set up with accounts and perhaps even credit.
Old Jul 4th 2010, 2:13 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the replies!.
The HR lady suggested the HSBC option, I went into my local branch but he was as helpful as a choc teapot!!, will try online etc.
Will check with HR re employment letter etc, shouldn't be too much to ask as they've been so helpful so far (note my sarcasm!!).
Also need to sort a car but believe I can't buy one when I arrive until I have a CT license? is that right? and can't take the driving test in a rental?
Old Jul 4th 2010, 2:15 pm
Forum Regular

HTML Code:
For the car, check out the CT state DMV website for what you need. Depending on the visa you have to get here would determine how you get your SSN.

What else you need to do, read the wiki, it covers a lot such as getting credit history and a credit card, what you need for school like vaccination records and the jabs you'll need.
Thanks Bob, have had a look, so much to do!! have started the jabs process (haven't told the kids yet!!) sorted the cat, emailed School registration office for forms etc.
Old Jul 4th 2010, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

EricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to all

I moved to CT in March. Here is what I did:

- Opened a bank account with HSBC by walking into the branch (Stamford). No SSN was required, although I had to give it to them once I had received it

- Got an HSBC credit card through AIG Travel Assist

- My employer had to provide a letter to the letting agency confirming salary / employment terms before they would let me sign a lease agreement as I had no US credit history

- You can't buy a car without a CT driving license. You can however us a non-drivers ID card. Go to the DMV and they can issue you one on the same day. You can't legally drive on your UK license for more than 30 days though once you become a resident. You can't take the test in a rental car - I borrowed a car from someone a work with.

http://www.ct.gov/dmv/cwp/view.asp?a=805&Q=244720
Old Jul 4th 2010, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks EricK, very handy info!
Old Jul 4th 2010, 4:28 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meshwill
Will check with HR re employment letter etc, shouldn't be too much to ask as they've been so helpful so far (note my sarcasm!!).

Welcome to America !!
Just get used to them as being utterly useless - it'll save on frustration.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 4:49 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome to BE and the US.

I posted this in another thread but it might be helpful here. What do you do first?

------------>

Make a list.

Make a very long list.

Even if you are not a list person, sometimes they are necessary and can be very helpful.

Put on the list every single thing you can possibly think of that needs to be done before the move, and then leave a great deal of space for future additions. Once you have it you can break it into groups like:

Things to do immediately
Things to do the week before we leave.
Things we should sell or give away
Things we need to buy
Things we need to pack.
Things to do the day we leave
Social calls we should make before leaving.

As you can see, it will get quite long, but once you have a master list of each and everything you have to do, then you can start to plan how to do them and how much time it will really take to get done.

So here are a few items to start with (and if you search this site you'll find many other suggestions).

* Get copies of your child's medical records
* Get a list of their vaccinations (you will need this for school)
* Get a list of vaccinations needed for the state you will be moving to (and then get the kids those shots they have missed/need at the NHS)
* Make a list of utility bills you need to disconnect
* Make a list of people you want to see in the last month, the last week, and the last day before you leave (hint: everyone will want to be the last day)

etc, etc

My only other advice is to set a date about 48 hours before you actually get on the plane in which you will be "done"--done saying goodbye, done packing, etc. In fact, we live out of suitcases the last 36 hours before a move whenever possible. Tell your friends you are leaving on XX day even if you are leaving the next one (trust me: many people do not know how to deal with folks moving internationally and want to pop in for a cuppa in the last few minutes when you are trying to get out the door). This little white lie will give you some freedom to deal with emergencies and give you a bit of breathing space to do a few things you want to do yourself before you get on the plane.

It's a daunting experience, but it is manageable. Try not to worry so much about things you cannot control or change and focus on the massive logistical effort you have before you.

Good luck.
Old Jul 5th 2010, 11:10 am
Forum Regular

Thank you Penguinsix! what a great list!.
I have lists coming out of my ears, am slowly working my way through, quite theraputic to be selling stuff, giving things away etc!.
I've done the cat, almost done the kids, one final car boot to go, gave all my plants away!, friends have put stick it notes on what they want to have/buy that we're not taking! and so on!.
Hubby made fatal error by saying "just get rid of it all, you can buy new stuff when we get there" !!!! Ooh shopping! now that's a talent of mine!!(as well as list making!!).
I will now go and make more lists from the suggestions and helpful tips you have given me here.
many thanks
Old Jul 11th 2010, 8:27 am
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: re-locating, what do I do first?

Thanks EricK and PenguinSix... great info.

EricK - what size deposit did you have to pay on your rented property - 1.5x rent, more?

Anybody else - what seems to be typical deposit to pay on rented property?

Cheers

Harry
Old Jul 11th 2010, 2:45 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Where in CT are you moving to? I know a really nice apartment complex that I used to live in. If you need to ask anything about CT drop me a PM. I lived here for 6 years.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 3:37 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

I had HSBC in the US before I moved to the UK. In London I went to the local HSBC and they had to get a "letter of introduction" from my old branch in order to open the account, but once they had that it was easy. I had also happened to change my address online on my US account to my new UK address, and they accepted that as proof of address, oddly.

Once you know your US address, contact your HSBC branch and get it changed over and also ask for a letter of introduction - I don't know if they'll give it to you directly but it's worth a shot.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 6:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HarryTheSpider

Anybody else - what seems to be typical deposit to pay on rented property?
Larger the place, larger the deposit. Generally, it's first month, last month and a months worth as returnable deposit up front, can be up to 3 months worth.

Also, if your using a realtor to help find the place, expect to pay anything from half a month rent in fee to more likely a month in rent in a fee. Sometimes landlord might swallow some of that if it has been on the market a while, but usually not.
Old Jul 11th 2010, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

EricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to allEricK is a name known to all

I had to pay 3 month deposit. The agents fee was 1 months rent which the landlord paid.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.