British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   re: Indian Govt banning H1-B visas.... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/re-indian-govt-banning-h1-b-visas-104919/)

julius smith May 15th 2001 6:41 pm

Hi, folks! I have read the whole lot of the above thread dealing with the whys and wherefores of the Indian Govt preventing US H1B immigration. To tell you the truth, and I am an Indian myself, it is about time that the US prevented all this stampede from India. I have been appalled at the some of the Indian people I have met in the US who have been there several years, but soon as they open their mouths, all you hear is the typical "oh dearie me--vut is yor name--I am staying in vashington" etc etc. You know what i mean. And the other classic thing the US Indians do if they meet another indian there, is to completely ignore each other, with not even a nod of acknwledgement. Then they complain of racial discrimination from white people!! I mean, for God's sake, if you are gonna emigrate, try to at least have a go at improving your spoken English. Ok, these guys may be brilliant, but what good is that when they can't converse without using that lilting Indian accent? Another example: I went to visit a friend's friend in Philadelphia and the state of his house.....a complete dump, just like you may see in downtown Delhi. I mean, you are in the US after all! And his manners were severly wanting; you know how you can judge a person from the smalltalk he gives out? Well, this guy had all the worst hallmarks; complete with picking nose, coughing up phlegm and then swallowing it.... you name it!Just like in the villages back home! Honestly, I am not being elitist. These are genuine observations. I am sorry , but facts are facts and I know most, if not all, of these are true. So End of story and let's talk about something more useful!

NEXUS May 15th 2001 10:32 pm

Julio or Gulio! Are you an Indian Govt Insider or another hate monger of your own
people?? Tell me tell me tell me... Now let's talk something concrete. How about
suggesting ESL1 thru ESL.... for your personal enrichment.. Bye bye... Julio Coward..

Hi, folks! I have read the whole lot of the above thread dealing with the whys and
wherefores of the Indian Govt preventing US H1B immigration. To tell you the truth,
and I am an Indian myself, it is about time that the US prevented all this stampede
from India. I have been appalled at the some of the Indian people I have met in the
US who have been there several years, but soon as they open their mouths, all you
hear is the typical "oh dearie me--vut is yor name--I am staying in vashington" etc
etc. You know what i mean. And the other classic thing the US Indians do if they meet
another indian there, is to completely ignore each other, with not even a nod of
acknwledgement. Then they complain of racial discrimination from white people!! I
mean, for God's sake, if you are gonna emigrate, try to at least have a go at
improving your spoken English. Ok, these guys may be brilliant, but what good is that
when they can't converse without using that lilting Indian accent? Another example: I
went to visit a friend's friend in Philadelphia and the state od his house.....a
complete dump, just like you may see in downtown Delhi. I mean, you are in the US
after all! And his manners were severly wanting; you know how you can judge a person
from the smalltalk he gives out? Well, this guy had all the worst hallmarks; complete
with picking nose, coughing up phlegm and then swallowing
it.... you name it!Just like in the villages back home! Honestly, I am not being
elitist. These are genuine observations. I am sorry , but facts are facts and I
know most, if not all, of these are true. So End of story and let's talk about
something more useful!

--

^xRun^ May 16th 2001 1:26 am

You really are onto something there. I'm from Norway, and we don't look any different
from most americans. The only thing you can spot us on is when we open up and speak.
Most foreigners in the U.S. knows quite a bit of english, and I've been lucky enough
to be able to speak english in such a way that most people around me express surprise
when I tell them I'm from another country. They go all "But... but... you sound just
like us!" It helps me blend in when that's what I need, and makes it easyer to get
results. I actually had a couple of buddys from Norway over for a visit for a couple
of weeks, and after a waitress in vegas took one look at us and said "you guys are
from Norway aren't you" I almost took two steps away later whenever the guys spoke,
they had such a bad accent I subconciously didn't wanna be associated with them,
using V instead of W and being limited by a shorter alphabet and stuff kinda threw
them I guess :) Being from Norway, with the amount of immigration they have there, I
allready had the opinion that people moving to other countries should make an effort
to at the very least learn the language. It would be good if they behaved themselves
somewhat proper in public as well, although I'm all for holding on to your own
culture and language and stuff. I'm no rasist by any means, the U.S. has been a big
mix of races for a century since the immigration boom around 1900, and it's all good.
In my experience the social cultural freedom in the U.S. is great, and I've lived in
enough other areas of the world to know. It's all resulting from a very diverse
population. There are exceptions of course, such as some tight-a$$ towns and
communities further north and east, and I'm not surprised to find that those places
actually have a less diverse population although this is changing.

Anyway... I guess the morale in my ramblings would be something like "if you
actually TRY getting along, you just might really GET along". My two cents FWIW...
Party on dudes.

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

julius smith May 16th 2001 5:12 pm

Re : xRun reply

Well, thank you xRun from Norway! I am glad someone agrees with some of what I'm saying! As you say, I'm not a racist or anything else. I'm merely stating the facts, and sometimes, you know, the facts sting!! Now, party on, dudes!! Chill out and safe, man!

Neil Armstrong May 22nd 2001 3:21 am

Wow, pretty strong observations.!! On the other hand, I have met some Indian folks
who have been quite nice to work with and very accomodating. Every community, I
guess, have their own pecularities and accents...it's pretty evident in the ol-time
Irish and Italian communities of yester-years.

julius smith wrote:

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

julius smith Jun 2nd 2001 7:05 pm

Hi, Neil Armstrong! Yes, of course, I agree with you totally. 99.9999% of my asian compatriots are well above board. It's only a small %age that upset the apple cart. What my American friends have found also is, that those asians who have come here from other westernised countries, do not tend to exhibit these traits. Maybe they think they have seen all this before and its no big deal, unlike the person who has flown over direct from a less westernised nation, and once here, develops that air of aloofness for his compatriots. Eg when I first came to the US, not having met anyone from own country for some time, when I did eventually see a guy in the local mall, I went up to him to and said hello. And you know what he said? "What do you want?" was the reply!! I do say again, that my observations can only help inflame ideas whirling around in most, shall I say a "caucasian" minds, about "taking over our jobs, when they cant even speak proper english", etc. I am not complaining of accents here at all, but inherent attitudes.