Reload this Page >

Re-entry to USA experiences

Re-entry to USA experiences

Old May 3rd 2021, 5:05 am
Forum Regular

vivid291 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re-entry to USA experiences

Hello all!

After a year and a half of being away from home, I’m trying to go back to the U.K. at the end of June. I read online that, as a visa holder, I might have issues getting back into the U.S. when I try to return and I was just wondering if anyone could share their experiences if you’ve travelled during this time.
FYI
I’m a green card holder, employed with a mortgage, fully vaccinated, married to a U.S. citizen.
I’m pretty confident I’d be able to re-enter without issue due to all of the above but just curious to see what other people’s experiences have been before I let myself get too excited.
Thanks in advance!
Old May 3rd 2021, 6:43 am
BE Enthusiast

destone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond reputedestone has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re-entry to USA experiences

Originally Posted by vivid291
Hello all!

After a year and a half of being away from home, I’m trying to go back to the U.K. at the end of June. I read online that, as a visa holder, I might have issues getting back into the U.S. when I try to return and I was just wondering if anyone could share their experiences if you’ve travelled during this time.
FYI
I’m a green card holder, employed with a mortgage, fully vaccinated, married to a U.S. citizen.
I’m pretty confident I’d be able to re-enter without issue due to all of the above but just curious to see what other people’s experiences have been before I let myself get too excited.
Thanks in advance!
You’re good to travel:
- You’re a UK citizen therefore you’re allowed back into the UK
- You’re a green card holder therefore you’re allowed back to the US
- You’re vaccinated therefore you don’t need to self-isolate once you return to the US

When you land in the UK you will need to self-isolate for at least 5 days if you opt into the Test to Release scheme (five overall tests, or four if you don’t do Test to Release).
Old May 3rd 2021, 1:47 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all!

FYI
Thanks in advance!
You will probably be asked why you have been out of the country so long, and what ties to the US you have maintained during your absence, as apparently you did not apply for a re-entry permit. However, in the times in which we find ourselves, perhaps not traveling home to the US in a timely fashion may be looked upon less harshly!
Old May 3rd 2021, 2:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
You will probably be asked why you have been out of the country so long, and what ties to the US you have maintained during your absence, as apparently you did not apply for a re-entry permit. However, in the times in which we find ourselves, perhaps not traveling home to the US in a timely fashion may be looked upon less harshly!
I read it the other way around - 'home' is the UK, so the OP has been away from the UK for a year and a half, not the US. Could well have read it wrong though!
Old May 3rd 2021, 2:12 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
I read it the other way around - 'home' is the UK, so the OP has been away from the UK for a year and a half, not the US. Could well have read it wrong though!
OMG! That will teach me to post before my eyes are properly open in the morning! Apologies to all . . .
Old May 3rd 2021, 2:21 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

OMG! That will teach me to post before my eyes are properly open in the morning! Apologies to all . . .
Say three Hail Marys and drink a large coffee.
Old May 3rd 2021, 2:26 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
Say three Hail Marys and drink a large coffee.
That could be my problem -- I've never drunk one cup of coffee in my life (or, dare I say it aloud on BE, tea!!!).
Old May 3rd 2021, 2:29 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

That could be my problem -- I've never drunk one cup of coffee in my life (or, dare I say it aloud on BE, tea!!!).
How do you kick-start yourself in the morning?! Don't answer that if it's too personal
Old May 3rd 2021, 2:35 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
How do you kick-start yourself in the morning?! Don't answer that if it's too personal
Stagger to the computer, play the BE Trivia Challenge, do the New York Times spelling bee, and gradually get the brain in gear!
Old May 3rd 2021, 2:36 pm
Concierge

Stagger to the computer, play the BE Trivia Challenge, do the New York Times spelling bee, and gradually get the brain in gear!
Old May 3rd 2021, 3:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Sacrilege! Go and stand in the corner please.
Old May 3rd 2021, 3:17 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

I'll go stand with Nutmegger. I don't drink coffee either but rather a cuppa Tetley British Blend tea.
Old May 3rd 2021, 3:20 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all!

You are not a visa holder. From your posting below, you are a US Permanent Resident.

FYI
Thanks in advance!
This has nothing to do with your ability to return to the US. You need your unexpired green card and more importantly, you need to return to the US before it is considered that you may have abandoned your residency status, i.e. out of the US for a year or more.
Old May 3rd 2021, 3:41 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

My mother many times threatened to disown me over just this issue.
Old May 3rd 2021, 5:14 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

My mother many times threatened to disown me over just this issue.
You're forgiven because you are a spelling bee competitor!
Every night before bed I do the Mini Crossword, Spelling Bee and the Easy Sudoku and if I am not sleepy the medium and hard one as well.

Last edited by scrubbedexpat097; May 3rd 2021 at 5:26 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.