Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Re: Credit Card Debt

Re: Credit Card Debt

Old Aug 11th 2002, 6:35 pm
Siowhar Ng

Default Re: Credit Card Debt

I wonder whether the credit bureaus even know where the person had gone to!? The CC
application doesn't even ask for the nationality or citizenship. And I don't think
the bereaus would check all the their CC debt with the INS.

Sharp

Old Aug 11th 2002, 8:03 pm
Joachim Feise

SIOWHAR NG wrote:
    > I wonder whether the credit bureaus even know where the person had gone to!? The CC
    > application doesn't even ask for the nationality or citizenship. And I don't think
    > the bereaus would check all the their CC debt with the INS.

I would think that they would file a lawsuit and there probably would be an arrest
warrant if the defendant doesn't show up in court. They probably wouldn't be able to
get an extradition from the country where the person lives, if they, as you mention,
even know where the person lives. If the person would ever again travel to the US,
though, the arrest warrant could be executed. All these things of course have nothing
at all to do with INS. Credit card companies are private companies, and the
government doesn't have anything to do with them.

Old Aug 12th 2002, 2:27 am
Raymond Carter

Thank you all for the info. If government doesn;t have anything to do with the credit
card company... how would they know she is traveling into the US? I don't think they
check that at customs?? Unless she is comming back for US residentship and reapplying
for a new credit card? So i guess the answer is yes? that she can pretty much get
away with it?

carter.

Joachim Feise <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > SIOWHAR NG wrote:
    > > I wonder whether the credit bureaus even know where the person had gone to!? The
    > > CC application doesn't even ask for the nationality or citizenship. And I don't
    > > think the bereaus would check all the their CC debt with the INS.
    > I would think that they would file a lawsuit and there probably would be an arrest
    > warrant if the defendant doesn't show up in court. They probably wouldn't be able
    > to get an extradition from the country where the person lives, if they, as you
    > mention, even know where the person lives. If the person would ever again travel to
    > the US, though, the arrest warrant could be executed. All these things of course
    > have nothing at all to do with INS. Credit card companies are private companies,
    > and the government doesn't have anything to do with them.

Old Aug 12th 2002, 6:38 am
Joachim Feise

Raymond Carter wrote:
    > Thank you all for the info. If government doesn;t have anything to do with the
    > credit card company... how would they know she is traveling into the US? I don't
    > think they check that at customs??

Well, as far as I know, the INS and FBI computers are not connected, at least at this
time. This may change though. Also, just a traffic stop would be enough. They do a
check on your name when they stop you, and if there is a warrant outstanding, they
arrest you right there.

Old Aug 12th 2002, 6:51 am
Forum Regular

syedraza70 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Re: Credit Card Debt

yes you are right that the customs have no papers or something to check the person about CC but the thing they get you is the data base feed in the computer.
your name
your SSN
when ever you come to USA they cehck it as for the criminal record or something but when it shows your outstanding debts it will be then difficult for you, may be they not get you right away at the border but in USA you will do many thing which require SSN id or something and that will clear your position. if it goes on a state comes where person can do nothing in states.
Old Aug 12th 2002, 11:00 pm
Raymond Carter

I Wonder the CC Company will go all the way to file a lawsuit for a small amount of
money.. like 1 or 2k?

carter

syedraza70 <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
    > yes you are right that the customs have no papers or something to check the person
    > about CC but the thing they get you is the data base feed in the computer. your
    > name your SSN when ever you come to USA they cehck it as for the criminal record or
    > something but when it shows your outstanding debts it will be then difficult for
    > you, may be they not get you right away at the border but in USA you will do many
    > thing which require SSN id or something and that will clear your position. if it
    > goes on a state comes where person can do nothing in states.

Old Aug 12th 2002, 11:56 pm
Stuart Brook

Raymond Carter wrote:
    > I Wonder the CC Company will go all the way to file a lawsuit for a small amount of
    > money.. like 1 or 2k?
    > carter

That's not a small amount of money. You bet they'll try to get it back.

Old Aug 13th 2002, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

syedraza70 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Re: Credit Card Debt

1k 2k is far CC companies go for each cent they have given