Reload this Page >

Re-application of UK Passport in US

Wikiposts

Re-application of UK Passport in US

Old Jul 26th 2012, 6:40 am
Just Joined

dakasha is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Re-application of UK Passport in US

Hi all - First time poster so apologizing in advance if this has been covered elsewhere.

So here's the situation. I received my US citizenship in 2005 and at that time was asked to surrender my UK passport, which I did. I now have a contract opportunity in the UK and am exploring tax strategies as I will be maintaining my US residency.

I will likely need to travel back to the UK for work on my UK passport, but am not sure which passport to apply for as its won't be a renewal (don't have possession of a current passport) or as a first time applicant (since I've had my own passport under my own name previously).

Has anyone been faced with this before or could they guide me to the answer?

Also, any references I can be pointed to that can help me figure out ideal tax strategy while maintaining a US residence (work as UK citizen in UK for contract period vs. work as US with work a work visa) would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Old Jul 26th 2012, 6:53 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Re-application of UK Passport in US

Originally Posted by dakasha
Hi all - First time poster so apologizing in advance if this has been covered elsewhere.

So here's the situation. I received my US citizenship in 2005 and at that time was asked to surrender my UK passport, which I did. I now have a contract opportunity in the UK and am exploring tax strategies as I will be maintaining my US residency.

I will likely need to travel back to the UK for work on my UK passport, but am not sure which passport to apply for as its won't be a renewal (don't have possession of a current passport) or as a first time applicant (since I've had my own passport under my own name previously).

Has anyone been faced with this before or could they guide me to the answer?

Also, any references I can be pointed to that can help me figure out ideal tax strategy while maintaining a US residence (work as UK citizen in UK for contract period vs. work as US with work a work visa) would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance
I would fly back on your US passport and apply when you get here for you UK one!!
I never surrended mine when I became a Citizen.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 7:23 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I would fly back on your US passport and apply when you get here for you UK one!!
I never surrended mine when I became a Citizen.
With the recent UK immigration law changes, I am assuming that would require a UK work visa to enter and allow me to do that. But as a UK citizen who had to surrender their UK passport, any ideas on which UK passport application I have to fill out? The guidelines are not specific to this situation and the only other option at this point is to pay the 72p per minute customer service fee and hope I get an answer.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 8:03 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

I never surrendered mine when I became a Citizen.
Ditto -- I was under the impression that they weren't even allowed to ask one to do so? I've never heard of that.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 8:26 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

With the recent UK immigration law changes, I am assuming that would require a UK work visa to enter and allow me to do that. But as a UK citizen who had to surrender their UK passport, any ideas on which UK passport application I have to fill out? The guidelines are not specific to this situation and the only other option at this point is to pay the 72p per minute customer service fee and hope I get an answer.
You need to get back here go to the post office and get an aplication form its that easy, you are still a UK Citizen...it's the normal application.

https://passports.ips.gov.uk/epa1r1a/Rich/Formpage.aspx

No idea why you think you need a UK work visa you are a UK Citizen......I am a US Citizen and also a UK Citizen I just arrived back in the UK I called the inland revenue told them I was back and fired up my NI again and away I go that simple!
Old Jul 26th 2012, 10:31 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

You didn't need to surrender your UK passport, unless you were doing it for US security clearance reasons.

Even then, all you have to do is ask for it back, if it still have validity period on it.

As a UK/US citizen, you can enter the UK on a US passport. You only need a UK passport to enter if you are moving back long term.

As for the tax question, there are so many threads all over the US forum that you can look up to give you an idea.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 10:32 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I received my US citizenship in 2005 and at that time was asked to surrender my UK passport, which I did.
What? Why? There's no obligation to turn in your UK passport when you become a USC... the US has no authority to take your passport! Indeed, you had no authority to give it to them... it's not your passport - it's the property of the UK. You've created quite a mess for yourself.

Ian
Old Jul 26th 2012, 2:09 pm
Just Joined

Cool Re: Re-application of UK Passport in US

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
What? Why? There's no obligation to turn in your UK passport when you become a USC... the US has no authority to take your passport! Indeed, you had no authority to give it to them... it's not your passport - it's the property of the UK. You've created quite a mess for yourself.

Ian
Thank you captain obvious... hence my post.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 2:10 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
Ditto -- I was under the impression that they weren't even allowed to ask one to do so? I've never heard of that.
Back in 2005 they said I must - and required that i bring it to the interview and condition before taking the oath.. chicago passport office.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 2:12 pm
Just Joined

You need to get back here go to the post office and get an aplication form its that easy, you are still a UK Citizen...it's the normal application.

https://passports.ips.gov.uk/epa1r1a/Rich/Formpage.aspx

No idea why you think you need a UK work visa you are a UK Citizen......I am a US Citizen and also a UK Citizen I just arrived back in the UK I called the inland revenue told them I was back and fired up my NI again and away I go that simple!
Thanks. I was 18 when I left and didn't get too involved in the records process. Good info to have.
Old Jul 26th 2012, 3:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Back in 2005 they said I must - and required that i bring it to the interview and condition before taking the oath.. chicago passport office.
Well nothing has changed in donkeys and there hasn't been that requirement, it's just a verbal thing to say you'll be treated as a US citizen with US authorities only.

No reason for you to have handed in your passport, so probably a case of misunderstanding on someones part.

You should be able to just request your passport returned to you from the passport office if it hasn't expired.
Old Jul 27th 2012, 12:18 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

It was a lie. I became a USC in 2004 and was not required to relinquish either my UK or CDN passport. You were lied to... very likely deliberately.

Anyway, water under the bridge now... but it serves as an object lesson to anyone else reading this thread!

Ian
Old Jul 28th 2012, 12:39 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
It's really not a problem. If in 2005 he surrendered a British passport to U.S. authorities he may simply apply for a new one.
Old Jul 28th 2012, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
It's really not a problem. If in 2005 he surrendered a British passport to U.S. authorities he may simply apply for a new one.
Yes - the only minor annoyance is that, because he no longer has the old passport he can't just do a renewal - he will have to apply for a replacement passport and provide whatever additional documents (birth certificate etc) are required.

He may also find it more convenient to travel to the UK using his US passport and get the new UK passport while he is over there.
Old Aug 4th 2012, 5:33 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Apply for a replacement from Washington, tick the lost/stolen box and complete a LS01 form stating that your passport is unavailable as you surrendered it when naturalising as a US citizen. As mentioned, the passport remains the property of HMG and you shouldn't be asked for it, but never mind.

Given the length of time that has passed, there are unlikely to be electronic records of your surrendered passport, so Washington is likely to treat you as a first time applicant.

As such, along with your C1 and LS01 forms, make sure you include:

- Your original long form birth certificate (you can order from the GRO if you don't have one - http://www.gro.gov.uk)

- Two recent passport photos that have been countersigned. This is important since they cannot compare your current photo to the one in your old passport

- A photocopy of your US passport