Reload this Page >

Rant - H1B/L1 is just corporate slavery, crap life

Rant - H1B/L1 is just corporate slavery, crap life

Old Dec 1st 2017, 10:40 pm
Forum Regular

britinusa777777755 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Rant - H1B/L1 is just corporate slavery, crap life

Originally Posted by Rete
There've been a few here asking out to get the US, so you never know. I don't know your situation and why you went from one shit job to another shit job rather than returning home but hope it all works out for you eventually.
Thanks

Second job actually started off amazing and stayed mostly for a girl at the time, complicated I guess.
Old Dec 1st 2017, 10:53 pm
Forum Regular

deadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond reputedeadshoppingmalls has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britinusa777777755
Waiting for green card m, placing bets on things being much better after that. Looking forward to earning ‘market rate’ and traveling to the U.K. often.

)
Well then you got a shit deal - most if not all the L1's I knew (and I was one) was back home more often than not.

Whenever I was in Europe for work, I used to tack on a few days back in the old country, call into my local, chat with friends (who were all having the same conversations as they were when I lived there) then come back to the states. I think in my time as an L1 "slave" I only paid for 1 trip out of 10 to get back to Ireland.
Old Dec 1st 2017, 11:03 pm
Forum Regular

ch2016 has a reputation beyond reputech2016 has a reputation beyond reputech2016 has a reputation beyond reputech2016 has a reputation beyond reputech2016 has a reputation beyond reputech2016 has a reputation beyond reputech2016 has a reputation beyond reputech2016 has a reputation beyond reputech2016 has a reputation beyond reputech2016 has a reputation beyond reputech2016 has a reputation beyond repute

If I could have gone back in time, never would have come could have spent the same time/effort back in the UK and could have been working for BA or Barclays right now. I'd have a nice house, nice car, nice local pub and everything would have been fine.
If Barclays is your aspirational employer (been there, done that) in the UK, then I can only wonder how bad your current employer is!
Old Dec 1st 2017, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by deadshoppingmalls
Well then you got a shit deal - most if not all the L1's I knew (and I was one) was back home more often than not.

Whenever I was in Europe for work, I used to tack on a few days back in the old country, call into my local, chat with friends (who were all having the same conversations as they were when I lived there) then come back to the states. I think in my time as an L1 "slave" I only paid for 1 trip out of 10 to get back to Ireland.
I guess I did get a crap deal then. Not as bad as others I know though

An Indian guy I know waited 20 years for a green card (different wait times for India obv)

A girl I know has to work 12 hours per day for $45,000 in the most expensive city in the USA, NYC. She lived in the South Bronx to afford it. Her country doesn’t have good rights for women and it’s still better to be in the USA
Old Dec 2nd 2017, 3:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

I think there are some much better places to live than in the USA. But home is where you make it. The USA is expensive, educations is very,very expensive. There is more corruption than in Europe. Living is expensive and employees are disposable commodities. Apart from that life is great. Doesn't matter if you are a USC or on a visa.
Old Dec 2nd 2017, 8:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mrken30
I think there are some much better places to live than in the USA. But home is where you make it. The USA is expensive, educations is very,very expensive. There is more corruption than in Europe. Living is expensive and employees are disposable commodities. Apart from that life is great. Doesn't matter if you are a USC or on a visa.
It matters a hell of a lot whether you are a USC or a visa holder.

Visa holders don’t have the freedom to switch jobs easily, buy property without fear of being kicked out, their kids cannot go to state subsidized colleges etc etc

USC > H1B > Illegal Alien
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 12:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

It matters a hell of a lot whether you are a USC or a visa holder.

Visa holders don’t have the freedom to switch jobs easily, buy property without fear of being kicked out, their kids cannot go to state subsidized colleges etc etc

USC > H1B > Illegal Alien
I inquired about sitting on some local city boards. There are multiple places where they want you to explain your view on diversity, and then they don't allow non USCs to sit on the board. The county boards don't ask anything about your view on diversity and do allow non-USCs to sit on the board.

There are a lot of limitations I agree with just being a visa holder. A lot of unknowns and vulnerabilities.
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 3:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mrken30
I inquired about sitting on some local city boards. There are multiple places where they want you to explain your view on diversity, and then they don't allow non USCs to sit on the board. The county boards don't ask anything about your view on diversity and do allow non-USCs to sit on the board.

There are a lot of limitations I agree with just being a visa holder. A lot of unknowns and vulnerabilities.

I guess you are referring to affirmative action and so on. The intention is pure I guess, actively trying to help others that need the help due to discrimination..... Obviously a minor side effect is that this cuts 'privileged Caucasian men' out of the equation unnecessarily sometimes. Whatever, I can deal with that, no problem with affirmative action for employment etc.

The problem I see is the obsession with "diversity at all costs". Some ultra liberals are aiming for ultimate diversity, without any assimilation to the norms and laws of a country. To be honest they also have 'good intentions', they are just not aware that not all people behave and are law abiding e.g.

1. When you have people from other countries that don't speak English, spitting on the floor inside train stations etc
2. People that have never heard of recycling or even garbage pickup
3. People who hang meat/duck off their balconies (dripping food on the balconies below)
4. People who have never heard of a queue or a line
5. People who let their kids run wild causing noise for everyone and have about 8 of them (also costing hundreds of thousands for public schools)

I'll be glad to get away from these insane diversity cheerleaders, to be honest. Similar to Angela Merkel in Germany they are trying to do the 'right thing' but are just not aware that not all immigrants are nice/good/worth having.

Last edited by britinusa777777755; Dec 3rd 2017 at 3:05 am.
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 4:51 am
BE Enthusiast

TheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond reputeTheKingOfHearts has a reputation beyond repute

I'll be glad to get away from these insane diversity cheerleaders, to be honest. Similar to Angela Merkel in Germany they are trying to do the 'right thing' but are just not aware that not all immigrants are nice/good/worth having.
This post suggests you haven't been to the UK in quite sometime. Perhaps it's me, but the UK was always far more diverse than the US for the most part.

Sure, the US has more african-americans and hispanics, but the UK, at least imo, has much more wider diversity.
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 11:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TheKingOfHearts
This post suggests you haven't been to the UK in quite sometime. Perhaps it's me, but the UK was always far more diverse than the US for the most part.

Sure, the US has more african-americans and hispanics, but the UK, at least imo, has much more wider diversity.
In NYC there is all the diversity you want and more :P

London could match it but that’s about it.
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 5:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

Honestly (and I really didn't want to have to say this) if you are so upset by your job, the opportunities that you believe that you have missed by being in the US and the overall social and political climate why are you still here?

Given that you had the skills necessary to allow you to work in the US I have to assume that you are still employable both back in the UK and elsewhere.
I understand the feeling that you have already invested so much time and effort on the US that you would like to get some return on that investment instead of just packing it in and starting afresh somewhere else but, really, perhaps it just isn't for you and you should cut your losses and try again somewhere else.
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 5:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by md95065
Honestly (and I really didn't want to have to say this) if you are so upset by your job, the opportunities that you believe that you have missed by being in the US and the overall social and political climate why are you still here?

Given that you had the skills necessary to allow you to work in the US I have to assume that you are still employable both back in the UK and elsewhere.
I understand the feeling that you have already invested so much time and effort on the US that you would like to get some return on that investment instead of just packing it in and starting afresh somewhere else but, really, perhaps it just isn't for you and you should cut your losses and try again somewhere else.
Yes I will be employable in the U.K. or the US. You may be right on all these points.

There was an article recently in the BBC, it mentions “sunk costs” and it basically spoke to me.

http://www.bbc.com/capital/story/201...to-quit-to-win

Last edited by britinusa777777755; Dec 3rd 2017 at 5:55 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 6:03 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I will be employable in the U.K. or the US. You may be right on all these points.

There was an article recently in the BBC, it mentions “sunk costs” and it basically spoke to me.

BBC - Capital - Why you sometimes have to quit to win
you are quite obviously ready to move on. Part of the process is letting go of what you currently have and your negativity towards the USA is what we all do to psychologically prepare ourselves for letting go. There will be more and more things that become unsupportable about your current existence.

Don't expect much sympathy from those of us who are carrying on -listening to your negativity (whingeing) isn't pleasant. It is much more productive to start planning your next life and do whatever you need to do to move towards it. Recognise that the negativity is serving you only in that it helps you let go and just resolutely keep going forward without doing all the whingeing.
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 6:26 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
you are quite obviously ready to move on. Part of the process is letting go of what you currently have and your negativity towards the USA is what we all do to psychologically prepare ourselves for letting go. There will be more and more things that become unsupportable about your current existence.
Have a rough morning, PF?

He's not the first to whinge on BE about living and working in the US and damn sure he won't be the last.

The founding fathers told me years back that is one of the purposes of these forums, a place for Brits to whinge about things in their adopted country. If his rant disturbs you, stop reading.
Old Dec 3rd 2017, 6:36 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Have a rough morning, PF?

He's not the first to whinge on BE about living and working in the US and damn sure he won't be the last.

The founding fathers told me years back that is one of the purposes of these forums, a place for Brits to whinge about things in their adopted country. If his rant disturbs you, stop reading.
I've had a lovely morning, thank you. Despite what you think, the post you referenced was intended to be helpful.

I went through the same process prior to leaving France and Scotland By the time I got on the various planes, I'd had enough of both countries. Afterwards you can look back and feel nostalgic or homesick. It's a well documented process that helps us move on from relationships/jobs and obviously countries.

But hey, thanks for your helpful comments!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.