Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Random thought of the day

Random thought of the day

Old Mar 4th 2012, 5:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute
Default Random thought of the day

Woke up and suddenly realised I havent seen a pigeon where I live at all - ever!!! Northern CA - how very odd!!!
Old Mar 4th 2012, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Random thought of the day

Originally Posted by CAdreaming
Woke up and suddenly realised I havent seen a pigeon where I live at all - ever!!! Northern CA - how very odd!!!
Lots of 'em in NYC but few out here in the 'burbs. We have lots of small birds though, including house finches, some of which nested in the awning over our kitchen window last summer and raised chicks.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 5:23 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

'An Idiot Abroad' was on Santa Monica beach this week, saying it was "Quite nice but not as clean as I thought, they have pigeons."
Old Mar 4th 2012, 5:37 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Not as many around this way, but there's a few...don't seem quite as fat as the ones living in Boston though

Not very many foxes either, saw a live one the other day though, which was a surprise...looks very different to the red ones running around the UK though.

Haven't seen any badgers either now that we're thinking of things
Old Mar 4th 2012, 6:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

CAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond reputeCAdreaming has a reputation beyond repute

OMG going MAD!!! DH has just told me theres LOADS of pigeons in old town Eureka!!!!! and now i come to think of it..............
Guess I needed coffee badly when I woke up!!! Now DH thinks im a bit crazy!!
Im off on a pigeon find now - i have to see one!!!!
Old Mar 4th 2012, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

HarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond reputeHarryTheSpider has a reputation beyond repute

Just been watching an episode of BBC's wonderful Poirot...

At the end of the episode "The Spanish Chest", Poirot exclaims he shall be the most humble person in the world, and that nobody would beat Poirot and his 'humbility'... Made me chuckle.

I believe there was even a pigeon to be seen in the background in parts...
Old Mar 4th 2012, 6:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

OMG going MAD!!! DH has just told me theres LOADS of pigeons in old town Eureka!!!!! and now i come to think of it..............

Tuppence a bag.
Old Mar 4th 2012, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sally Redux

Tuppence a bag.

still looking
Old Mar 5th 2012, 12:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

When you mentioned that there were pigeons in the old town, I remembered when I first moved to Fremont that there were a lot of pigeons at the Mission San Jose church about a mile away and they used to fly over our complex, land on the chimneys and crap down the side of the chimneys, then fly to a field, and peck for food.

When I originally moved to Fremont, the original 18th century church was not there but in it's place was a beautiful New England style church that was built in 1869 after an earthquake destroyed the original mission church. About 10 years later, the preservation society decided to tear down the 1869 church to reconstruct the original mission church but at the last minute someone came up with about $500,000 to move the 1869 church about 25 miles across the bay to the peninsula so the steeple was torn off the church and the church was transported in two pieces across the San Mateo bridge.

So I searched the internet for a picture of the 1869 church and it was almost as if that church never existed since it wasn't even mentioned when there were articles about Mission San Jose. Finally I found a pitcher of the 1869 church (circa, 1910) and that is the first picture and second picture is the rebuilt original church.

Anyway while they were reconstructing the original church, the pigeons scattered but as soon as the original church was rebuilt, they came back to the church so there seems to be something to your husbands theory that pigeons like old towns.
Attached Thumbnails Random thought of the day-mission-san-jose.jpg   Random thought of the day-mission-large.jpg  

Last edited by Michael; Mar 5th 2012 at 12:45 am.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 2:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Michael
When you mentioned that there were pigeons in the old town, I remembered when I first moved to Fremont that there were a lot of pigeons at the Mission San Jose church about a mile away and they used to fly over our complex, land on the chimneys and crap down the side of the chimneys, then fly to a field, and peck for food.

When I originally moved to Fremont, the original 18th century church was not there but in it's place was a beautiful New England style church that was built in 1869 after an earthquake destroyed the original mission church. About 10 years later, the preservation society decided to tear down the 1869 church to reconstruct the original mission church but at the last minute someone came up with about $500,000 to move the 1869 church about 25 miles across the bay to the peninsula so the steeple was torn off the church and the church was transported in two pieces across the San Mateo bridge.

So I searched the internet for a picture of the 1869 church and it was almost as if that church never existed since it wasn't even mentioned when there were articles about Mission San Jose. Finally I found a pitcher of the 1869 church (circa, 1910) and that is the first picture and second picture is the rebuilt original church.

Anyway while they were reconstructing the original church, the pigeons scattered but as soon as the original church was rebuilt, they came back to the church so there seems to be something to your husbands theory that pigeons like old towns.
wow really interesting thank you!!!
Old Mar 5th 2012, 2:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

wow really interesting thank you!!!
I couldn't remember which city the 1869 church was moved to but thought it was San Mateo and I have a friend in Foster City which is right next to San Mateo and asked her if she had seen the church. She apparently searched the internet and found the following.

The Victorian Rectory was relocated to nearby Anza Street and the Gothic wooden church was moved to San Mateo where it has been restored as a house of worship by an Anglican church group.

So searched the internet for current pictures of the church in San Mateo but there wasn't any exterior pictures but the "Christ Church Parish" was the only Anglican church in San Mateo so I took their address and put it in google maps and the church shows up as a picture on the left of the screen. I then clicked on the picture which blows up the picture and and dragged the picture down to see the steeple.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=770+No...94401&t=h&z=17

The following is currently what it looks like inside.

http://www.christchurchparishacc.com...inside_ccp.htm
Old Mar 5th 2012, 6:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Michael
I couldn't remember which city the 1869 church was moved to but thought it was San Mateo and I have a friend in Foster City which is right next to San Mateo and asked her if she had seen the church. She apparently searched the internet and found the following.

The Victorian Rectory was relocated to nearby Anza Street and the Gothic wooden church was moved to San Mateo where it has been restored as a house of worship by an Anglican church group.

So searched the internet for current pictures of the church in San Mateo but there wasn't any exterior pictures but the "Christ Church Parish" was the only Anglican church in San Mateo so I took their address and put it in google maps and the church shows up as a picture on the left of the screen. I then clicked on the picture which blows up the picture and and dragged the picture down to see the steeple.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=770+No...94401&t=h&z=17

The following is currently what it looks like inside.

http://www.christchurchparishacc.com...inside_ccp.htm
After I took a look at the church at the location San Mateo a little more from the State street view in google maps, it doesn't appear to be in a good location like it was in Fremont so it doesn't appear as nice. In Fremont it was surrounded by palm trees with the old mission buildings on one side and the cemetery on the other side with all underground utilities. In San Mateo it is just on a corner lot with above ground power lines with little vegetation around.
Old Mar 5th 2012, 2:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

coastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond reputecoastieexpat has a reputation beyond repute

Wow ! Pigeons to Missions in 10 posts, well done !!
Old Mar 5th 2012, 4:16 pm
Life goes on.

Uncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond reputeUncle Ebenezer has a reputation beyond repute

Allow me to direct you here:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=748647

You're welcome.
Old Mar 6th 2012, 1:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Uncle Ebenezer
Allow me to direct you here:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=748647

You're welcome.
LOL LOL LOL
Cheeky

I went into Old Town Eureka today and saw about 140 of the bl**dy things!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.