British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Random searches in NY subway (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/random-searches-ny-subway-315474/)

franc111s Jul 22nd 2005 3:49 pm

Random searches in NY subway

And then the privacy advocates scream and cry foul.

In my view, the privacy advocates against stop and search should wear a badge showing what they support, so we CAN STOP AND SEARCH them FIRST :)

We search people on planes (twice if you fly to Atlanta from the UK) so why not trains. Trains can carry more people than a plane. It's probably now because we protect planes that trains are seen as an easy target.

It makes me sick when these do-gooders complain about civil liberties. I want my civil liberties protected from bombers. If I get searched, I don't care - good for the police. I even think we should allow profiling but the reailty is, if we did, a bomber would dress up as an old-lady so it's irrelevant anyway.

anotherlimey Jul 22nd 2005 3:52 pm

Re: Random searches in NY subway

Originally Posted by franc111s

In my view, the privacy advocates against stop and search should wear a badge showing what they support, so we CAN STOP AND SEARCH them FIRST :)

We search people on planes (twice if you fly to Atlanta from the UK) so why not trains. Trains can carry more people than a plane. It's probably now because we protect planes that trains are seen as an easy target.

It makes me sick when these do-gooders complain about civil liberties. I want my civil liberties protected from bombers. If I get searched, I don't care - good for the police. I even think we should allow profiling but the reailty is, if we did, a bomber would dress up as an old-lady so it's irrelevant anyway.

These are the same privacy advocates who don't like extended passnger screening at airports. I say: "Cry me an 'effin river".

I get picked for extended screening every time, I really don't care.

anotherlimey Jul 22nd 2005 3:53 pm

Originally Posted by franc111s

BTW, people can refuse to have their bags searched, so doing this would be a bit pointless anyway.

cindyabs Jul 22nd 2005 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
BTW, people can refuse to have their bags searched, so doing this would be a bit pointless anyway.

Think I had heard that IF they refurse to have their bag searched then they will not be allowed to board that train.

anotherlimey Jul 22nd 2005 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by cindyabs
Think I had heard that IF they refurse to have their bag searched then they will not be allowed to board that train.

So they'll go onto the next station and blow that one up instead, or perhaps they'll just blow up a cinema or something.

Big D Jul 22nd 2005 4:56 pm

In the world we live in today searches are a necessary evil - if you don't have anything to hide why should you care? I would sure like to be searched if it saved lives

krizzy Jul 22nd 2005 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by Big D
In the world we live in today searches are a necessary evil - if you don't have anything to hide why should you care? I would sure like to be searched if it saved lives

I've never had a problem with being searched.......the only time I was a tiny bit put out was by a very stupid slow person at Kennedy Space centre.....so many out of work.....and they employ the only dumb one....... :rolleyes:

fatbrit Jul 22nd 2005 7:00 pm

Originally Posted by krizzy
I've never had a problem with being searched.......the only time I was a tiny bit put out was by a very stupid slow person at Kennedy Space centre.....so many out of work.....and they employ the only dumb one....... :rolleyes:

She's hit the nail on the head -- this is the very problem over here! The theory is fine; the execution of it is always stupid, pointless and expensive.