Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

random annoying phone calls????

random annoying phone calls????

Old Mar 27th 2008, 9:16 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: random annoying phone calls????

Who Calls Me?

Some ideas in this thread.
Old Mar 27th 2008, 9:49 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Who Calls Me?

Some ideas in this thread.
or

http://www.numberzoom.com/en/801-623-4621
Old Mar 28th 2008, 1:05 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

When I first moved to Seattle I got a call not long after we'd got a new phone line. I said hello, the guy on the other end said he was calling from the Fire Service and they were randomly calling people to remind them to check that their smoke detectors were working.

I said thank you for the call and I was sure they were working.

Then he went into the sales pitch and eventually I butted in politely and asked him not to call again.

More recently I got a call on our current number before I'd registered with donotcall.gov. It was from someone asking for my husband.

I asked why he wanted to talk to him. He said he was calling on behalf of the Fire Service.

I said straight away (after my last experience): 'Please put this number on your do not call list.'

He said something along the lines of: 'Oh, so you have a problem with the Fire Service do you? What's your problem with firefighters then huh? You were quite happy to talk to me until I mentioned where I was calling from...' and continued fairly aggressively.

I'm sure the Fire Service does a great job but tactics like this do not make me want to give them anything...
Old Mar 28th 2008, 1:43 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kins
When I first moved to Seattle I got a call not long after we'd got a new phone line. I said hello, the guy on the other end said he was calling from the Fire Service and they were randomly calling people to remind them to check that their smoke detectors were working.

I said thank you for the call and I was sure they were working.

Then he went into the sales pitch and eventually I butted in politely and asked him not to call again.

More recently I got a call on our current number before I'd registered with donotcall.gov. It was from someone asking for my husband.

I asked why he wanted to talk to him. He said he was calling on behalf of the Fire Service.

I said straight away (after my last experience): 'Please put this number on your do not call list.'

He said something along the lines of: 'Oh, so you have a problem with the Fire Service do you? What's your problem with firefighters then huh? You were quite happy to talk to me until I mentioned where I was calling from...' and continued fairly aggressively.

I'm sure the Fire Service does a great job but tactics like this do not make me want to give them anything...
It's not the Fire Service that's doing the aggressive telephone marketing. And when the Police Benevolent Fund calls, it's not the Police either. Most of these "charities" calling on behalf of public services like the Police and Firefighters are actually giving a tiny percentage of the money they raise to the organizations they claim to represent. The rest of the money goes to pay the huge salaries of the directors.

How to handle pesky "Police Charity" calls
Old Mar 28th 2008, 3:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Sounds like it's a company that is hired by other companies to carry out surveys and opinion polls. If they are calling on behalf of one of the companies/charities/political campaigns that are allowed to call you then they still can.

The biggest thing is that all those political organizations, charities, and telephone surveyors businesses have to stop calling if you ask them not to. In the case of charities, surveys and political organizations, it doesn't matter what company calls you, you just have had to ask for no calls regarding that specific charity, political organization or survey type. For example, if the fraternal order of police call you, and I know they have, and you say no more calls, every company they use to solicit donations is unable to call you and will be fined if they do and you report it.
Actually - surveyors do not have to stop calling you - researchers are exempt from the do not call list. Most, however, maintain their own 'do not call' lists for particular surveys (or beyond - i.e. a company list) out of courtesy to those who do not wish to participate. Why? Because researchers want to maintain a good relationship with the public in, otherwise they won't be able to collect the data for their research. The industry has encouraged research firms to abide by this as a gesture of goodwill. Surveying online has become more popular as a result of resistance to telephone surveys ... that carries its own inherent bias (as does any other means of data collection).

I'm in the industry, so I'm positive on this.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 5:28 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
It's not the Fire Service that's doing the aggressive telephone marketing. And when the Police Benevolent Fund calls, it's not the Police either. Most of these "charities" calling on behalf of public services like the Police and Firefighters are actually giving a tiny percentage of the money they raise to the organizations they claim to represent. The rest of the money goes to pay the huge salaries of the directors.

Aha! The police ones are never-ending.

Boiler-room eh?
Old Mar 28th 2008, 5:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Emma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond reputeEmma M has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mellybrown
I have had 3 calls in the last hour off this number 801-623-4621, they have been calling randomly for a few days. Im not picking it up, I hate talking to people I dont know - Ive looked it up and its telemarketing???? Im on the do not call list but aparantly they dont count...People are reporting that when they answer there is usually nobody there anyway.

can I do anything to stop it???

:curse:
Innit annoying?! I just had one of those... from a flippin' church!!!!! :curse:
Old Mar 28th 2008, 5:55 pm
Last orders please...

lisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond reputelisag8070 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000

yep I agree...the first thing my OH says "are you the local Fire Station" of course they start stuttering then...to which my OH replies...

"don't worry...I'll pop round to the fire station now and give my money directly to them"..

Pisses them off no end...
Old Mar 28th 2008, 7:44 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJ2007
Actually - surveyors do not have to stop calling you - researchers are exempt from the do not call list. Most, however, maintain their own 'do not call' lists for particular surveys (or beyond - i.e. a company list) out of courtesy to those who do not wish to participate. Why? Because researchers want to maintain a good relationship with the public in, otherwise they won't be able to collect the data for their research. The industry has encouraged research firms to abide by this as a gesture of goodwill. Surveying online has become more popular as a result of resistance to telephone surveys ... that carries its own inherent bias (as does any other means of data collection).

I'm in the industry, so I'm positive on this.
They don't keep in my good books by making multiple, simultaneous, calls and only picking up the first one to answer. If I have had four dropped calls over a couple of days, they get asked to pass on my "good wishes" to their managers.
Old Mar 28th 2008, 9:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paddingtongreen
They don't keep in my good books by making multiple, simultaneous, calls and only picking up the first one to answer. If I have had four dropped calls over a couple of days, they get asked to pass on my "good wishes" to their managers.
That they shouldn't be doing. Sounds like an issue with the dialing software.
Old Mar 30th 2008, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

melody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nicemelody32 is just really nice

Originally Posted by mellybrown
I have had 3 calls in the last hour off this number 801-623-4621, they have been calling randomly for a few days. Im not picking it up, I hate talking to people I dont know - Ive looked it up and its telemarketing???? Im on the do not call list but aparantly they dont count...People are reporting that when they answer there is usually nobody there anyway.

can I do anything to stop it???

:curse:
we had a collection agency call us for 11 months straight calling for someone who had our landline phone number before us. calling them back and telling them: we were not the person they were calling, we currently have the number on the do not call list, and please change your notes to reflect the change only met with curteous apologies and we'll make the change immediately. what finally got them to stop was me sending them a cease and decease (grammer/spelling i'm sure is wrong) letter stating the situation, advising that i had sent a complaint to the fcc, and for each phone call logged after receipt of the letter, $1000 fine per phone call will occur. I then sent the letter registered and return receipt. to date, we have had no more phone calls from any of the companies different phone numbers
Old Mar 30th 2008, 2:34 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by melody32
me sending them a cease and decease (
Actually far better than you realize