British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   random annoying phone calls???? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/random-annoying-phone-calls-524867/)

mellybrown Mar 27th 2008 5:18 pm

random annoying phone calls????

I have had 3 calls in the last hour off this number 801-623-4621, they have been calling randomly for a few days. Im not picking it up, I hate talking to people I dont know - Ive looked it up and its telemarketing???? Im on the do not call list but aparantly they dont count...People are reporting that when they answer there is usually nobody there anyway.

can I do anything to stop it???

:curse:

TruBrit Mar 27th 2008 5:22 pm

Re: random annoying phone calls????

Originally Posted by mellybrown (Post 6119649)
I have had 3 calls in the last hour off this number 801-623-4621, they have been calling randomly for a few days. Im not picking it up, I hate talking to people I dont know - Ive looked it up and its telemarketing???? Im on the do not call list but aparantly they dont count...People are reporting that when they answer there is usually nobody there anyway.

can I do anything to stop it???

:curse:

yep, go to do not call registry and sign up https://www.donotcall.gov/

btw it doesn't stop it completely but it helps.

mellybrown Mar 27th 2008 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by TruBrit (Post 6119659)
yep, go to do not call registry and sign up https://www.donotcall.gov/

btw it doesn't stop it completely but it helps.

Thanks - have just done it

MsElui Mar 27th 2008 5:32 pm

when you move into your new place - you may be able to take the same number you have now with you? then the do not call register will still be in place and you wont have to start again and wait for it to kick in.

or if its on a different exchange - might just have to change the middle three digits.

mellybrown Mar 27th 2008 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by MsElui (Post 6119705)
when you move into your new place - you may be able to take the same number you have now with you? then the do not call register will still be in place and you wont have to start again and wait for it to kick in.

or if its on a different exchange - might just have to change the middle three digits.

Im getting the calls on my mobile phone. So far nothing on the landline.

MsElui Mar 27th 2008 5:41 pm

then make sure you add your new landline in when you get it - so that you dont end up having the same issue.

mellybrown Mar 27th 2008 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by MsElui (Post 6119739)
then make sure you add your new landline in when you get it - so that you dont end up having the same issue.

will do - thanks

paddingtongreen Mar 27th 2008 5:50 pm

I may be wrong, but I thought they were not allowed to telemarket to cell phones, because there is/was a charge for answering.

I would take one call and tell them to take you off their call list.

basementwaj Mar 27th 2008 5:59 pm

next time they call tell them they are breaking the law by calling you as you have requested to be taken off their list.... they stop calling you pretty quickly!

Duncan Roberts Mar 27th 2008 6:00 pm

Sounds like it's a company that is hired by other companies to carry out surveys and opinion polls. If they are calling on behalf of one of the companies/charities/political campaigns that are allowed to call you then they still can.

People think that a company who has had a business relationship with you, political organizations, charities, and telephone surveyors are exempt from the do not call list. This is not true. A business relationship is defined as up to 18 months after your last purchase or delivery from it, or your last payment to it so after that period is up they are subject to the rules of the list and can be fined. There is also a 3 month window they have if you just call the company or apply to it for whatever reason.

The biggest thing is that all those political organizations, charities, and telephone surveyors businesses have to stop calling if you ask them not to. In the case of charities, surveys and political organizations, it doesn't matter what company calls you, you just have had to ask for no calls regarding that specific charity, political organization or survey type. For example, if the fraternal order of police call you, and I know they have, and you say no more calls, every company they use to solicit donations is unable to call you and will be fined if they do and you report it.

LadyBelle Mar 27th 2008 6:46 pm

You could also set your phone (through dialing a certain code on your phone - check with your phone company to see if they offer this and what the code is) so to not allow private calls -- meaning any caller whose name does not show up on caller i.d. will not be allowed through. In the case of some of these marketing calls, it doesn't matter b/c they are not private calls, but it might help for some of the ones that are; they won't bother de-privatizing their number to get through. We are in the UK now and are very happy not to receive the marketing calls we were getting in the States.

mellybrown Mar 27th 2008 6:53 pm

i dont even know how they got my number - Ive only had the phone a week and dont think i have given it to anyone but family!

bastards!!

neil Mar 27th 2008 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by mellybrown (Post 6120018)
i dont even know how they got my number - Ive only had the phone a week and dont think i have given it to anyone but family!

bastards!!

Probably a re-used number. We still get calls on our home line from collection agencies looking for the person who had the number before us, and that was over 2 years ago.

Jerseygirl Mar 27th 2008 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by basementwaj (Post 6119809)
next time they call tell them they are breaking the law by calling you as you have requested to be taken off their list.... they stop calling you pretty quickly!

Yep that's what I do...I tell them I have their number and if they call again I will report them. I also remind them it's $4K fine for every call they make. :sneaky:

Duncan Roberts Mar 27th 2008 8:37 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 6120430)
Yep that's what I do...I tell them I have their number and if they call again I will report them. I also remind them it's $4K fine for every call they make. :sneaky:

Could be up to 11k