Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Ranch language barrier?

Ranch language barrier?

Old Nov 18th 2004, 11:11 pm

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Ranch language barrier?

Hi, been reading the website for a few weeks now and just want to say you have all given me a giggle with your insights into life and cheered me up no end with reminders of home, anyways....
Does anyone have any problems with people understanding what you are saying? Every time we eat out or have take out and I ask for ranch dressing (subway is the worst!) they seem to have no idea what I am talking about! If my husband is with me he will tell them but if I am on my own I feel so stupid saying "you know raaaaaanch" just wondered if anyone else has noticed any other language barriers?!
Old Nov 18th 2004, 11:31 pm
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Ranch language barrier?

That's funny as hell!

Whereabouts in MD are ya? It always made me giggle when I first heard how Maryland was pronounced here, as marilynd!!
Old Nov 18th 2004, 11:35 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

hehe...two fish and chips is the big problem *l*
Old Nov 18th 2004, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

You'll get used to it eventually, and won't even notice your doing it.. LOL

Raaaanch.... waader.... there's loads of them.. LOL

I have the problem coming back to england, people keep asking me if I am South african!!!!!!!! Uk born and bread with an American twang.. LOL
Old Nov 18th 2004, 11:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by honeymommy
I have the problem coming back to england, people keep asking me if I am South african!!!!!!!! Uk born and bread with an American twang.. LOL
Must be fun
Old Nov 19th 2004, 12:12 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robskatie
Hi, been reading the website for a few weeks now and just want to say you have all given me a giggle with your insights into life and cheered me up no end with reminders of home, anyways....
Does anyone have any problems with people understanding what you are saying? Every time we eat out or have take out and I ask for ranch dressing (subway is the worst!) they seem to have no idea what I am talking about! If my husband is with me he will tell them but if I am on my own I feel so stupid saying "you know raaaaaanch" just wondered if anyone else has noticed any other language barriers?!
I have on occasion had serious trouble making myself understood when asking for water, whether in a glass or bottled. Several times my wife or even passers by have had to intervene to tell the person in question "he wants wah-der".
Old Nov 19th 2004, 12:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

The people at work find it rather amusing when I say the numbers 3, 8 and 18. I have also had the puzzled look when asking for water.
Old Nov 19th 2004, 12:24 am

robskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond reputerobskatie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlyergirlUK
That's funny as hell!

Whereabouts in MD are ya? It always made me giggle when I first heard how Maryland was pronounced here, as marilynd!!

We're in Waldorf, haven't ventured up to Annapolis yet, how long have you been over here?
Old Nov 19th 2004, 1:55 am
Former Blonde

FlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of lightFlyergirlUK is a glorious beacon of light

Been here since the end of July, last year, and yourself?
Old Nov 19th 2004, 2:09 am

Originally Posted by FlyergirlUK
Been here since the end of July, last year, and yourself?
Jan of this year, spent the summer feeling like I was on holiday and now reality is kicking in!!
Old Nov 19th 2004, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

rochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to allrochdalediva is a name known to all

I had 2 classics not longer after we arrived.
1 - Trying to buy a kettle, asked the assistant where I could find one & she took me to these huge saucepans! Had to explain I wanted the thing you put water in, boil & make tea.
2 - In the hardware store looking for a torch. The guy took me to the propane section, as in "blowtorch". Explained that I wanted the thing that you use when the lights go out. "Oh you need a flashlight".
They both probably thought "Thick Brit" but it just goes to show the truth of "divided by a common language ".
Old Nov 19th 2004, 4:36 pm
Taunton, Somerset to PA

mikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud ofmikehope has much to be proud of

Water is my usual problem, I have even tried to say that I dont mind if it is tap or bottled, that just seems to confuse the situation even more!!
Old Nov 19th 2004, 5:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Must be fun

Much more fun for 13yr old son.. All the girls think he is WONDERFUL!!! He said he is going to take full advantage of his americanism while he can..... LOL

My baby!!!!!
Old Nov 20th 2004, 8:03 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikehope
Water is my usual problem, I have even tried to say that I dont mind if it is tap or bottled, that just seems to confuse the situation even more!!
The whole water thing really hacks me off.

Every single time I have flown on an American Airline across the Atlantic, I have asked for water at some point on the flight, been greeted with totally blank looks and have had to repeat myself about half a dozen times before I have been understood.

Surely these people (assuming they regularly fly that route) have heard people ask for water in an English accent before?
Old Nov 20th 2004, 11:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

Pharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to beholdPharrya is a splendid one to behold

I can really Identify with this thread...

I occasionally go into the Subway in Annapolis (on Main St) for lunch, and always end up asking for Raaanch and Tomayto otherwise you end up just getting a look like this

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.