Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Rainy Scotland to Sunny Cali

Rainy Scotland to Sunny Cali

Old Jan 28th 2016, 4:48 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rainy Scotland to Sunny Cali

Originally Posted by mrken30
They use different type of vaccines in the UK, hence the second jab. I think one is a dead vaccine and one is live
That's why I noted above that the OP should ascertain what type of vaccine is required in the state he is moving to (they aren't all the same), and then request that vaccine before leaving.
Old Jan 29th 2016, 11:58 am
Just Joined

Aansell is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks again for the information, i'd hope the vet would know what the specific jabs the cat would need. However i'll be sure to check out the website just to be sure, don't want there to be any confusion on the other end!

Apparently it is 10 Days not 60 days to get a cali license, not sure where i must have pulled that figure from. Either way we'll get ourselves booked in for as soon as possible. Been told so long as you can show your planning on doing it, we should be ok on our uk licenses.

Just need to book in our embassy interview now!
Old Jan 29th 2016, 1:31 pm
Forum Regular

Dizzyp is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't worry too much about the 10 day requirement for the CA driving licence since you can't apply until you have your SSN anyway and who knows how long that will take. As you say, as long as you are intending to get one you'll be fine.
Old Jan 29th 2016, 4:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

dj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond reputedj6372 has a reputation beyond repute

That's the point, make an attempt, get to the DMV start the process, so if Chips do pull you, you can show your UK licence and also your paperwork from DMV

Just so you know I passed my test the day I booked it, just borrowed a friends car sorted some insurance, he drove me there as my 'experienced' driver, drove round the block twice, didn't kill anyone passed!, the 'written' test is a doddle, you stand in front of a PC and do multi choice question, if you have any knowledge of driving its easy!

Last edited by dj6372; Jan 29th 2016 at 4:24 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2016, 4:46 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

mrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond reputemrken30 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dj6372
That's the point, make an attempt, get to the DMV start the process, so if Chips do pull you, you can show your UK licence and also your paperwork from DMV

Just so you know I passed my test the day I booked it, just borrowed a friends car sorted some insurance, he drove me there as my 'experienced' driver, drove round the block twice, didn't kill anyone passed!, the 'written' test is a doddle, you stand in front of a PC and do multi choice question, if you have any knowledge of driving its easy!
You can probably download the driver's manual from DMV website. Read it once and the test should be easy.
Old Jan 29th 2016, 8:52 pm
BE Practitioner (Level 2)

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

For the written test it is worth spending a couple of hours with the handbook.

Most of the questions are common sense, however there are some that you would never have known if you didn't read it, for example what are the legally acceptable levels of blood alcohol for driving in California?

You can also find websites online that will give you a dummy test too.
Old Jan 29th 2016, 9:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

So where in North County are you looking for a home?
Old Jan 31st 2016, 4:33 am
BE Enthusiast

bewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Aansell
Didn’t realise Wells Fargo would need a residential address, I’ll be sure to take something from our current address for opening the account and changing it swiftly afterwards to something more local and convenient! Thanks for the heads up.
In 2004 I did not need a residential address to get a bank account with Wells Fargo. I used my work address at the Wells Fargo branch in Ralphs near UCSD. They were used to foreigners. Although again this was 2004 and things might have changed.

Where are you looking to live? And where is your workplace (roughly)? The commute south from north county is not pretty in the morning. I went surfing in the early morning at Del Mar two weeks ago and got stuck at the 5/805 merge for 40 minutes.
Old Jan 31st 2016, 6:05 am

username.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond reputeusername.exe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bewildering
Where are you looking to live? And where is your workplace (roughly)? The commute south from north county is not pretty in the morning. I went surfing in the early morning at Del Mar two weeks ago and got stuck at the 5/805 merge for 40 minutes.
This is what persuaded us to not move to North County.
Old Feb 1st 2016, 7:09 am
Just Joined

Hi all

I've spent some time do some of the online theory tests, seem to be relatively easy/common sense for anyone who's already been driving for years. Been watching the California DMV video training on YouTube and downloaded the driver manual from the site for more specific instruction. It's not the most enthralling video to watch!

Location wise my work is based in Carlsbad, so we've been looking at Carlsbad, Encinitas, Vista (shadowridge area), and Oceanside
Old Feb 1st 2016, 1:23 pm

Hi all

I've spent some time do some of the online theory tests, seem to be relatively easy/common sense for anyone who's already been driving for years. Been watching the California DMV video training on YouTube and downloaded the driver manual from the site for more specific instruction. It's not the most enthralling video to watch!

Location wise my work is based in Carlsbad, so we've been looking at Carlsbad, Encinitas, Vista (shadowridge area), and Oceanside
All of the beach towns are lovely, but predictably more expensive. Oceanside will be a little cheaper than the others. Inland North County you can get a better deal in Vista, San Marcos, Escondido etc. Gets hotter in the summer and further from the beach. Wouldn't stray too far from N County less the commute become horrible.
Old Feb 4th 2016, 9:46 am
Just Joined

Aye, it does seem the coastal towns are a bit on the pricey side, we may just bite the bullet for a year to get the beach town experience and getting an idea for the area before moving inland for cheaper rent.

On a side note we've been looking at apartment complexes, but are starting to look at more traditional family homes. Is there anything we should be aware of that we'd need to pay on top of the rent that would be different from the norm.

So far i've got Utilities (Water,Gas,Electric)
Internet
Renters insurance

I've been told that you have to pay for refuse collection, seems odd to me as thats included in our council tax/rental price here in the uk.

Thanks
Old Feb 4th 2016, 1:05 pm

Aye, it does seem the coastal towns are a bit on the pricey side, we may just bite the bullet for a year to get the beach town experience and getting an idea for the area before moving inland for cheaper rent.

On a side note we've been looking at apartment complexes, but are starting to look at more traditional family homes. Is there anything we should be aware of that we'd need to pay on top of the rent that would be different from the norm.

Internet
Renters insurance

I've been told that you have to pay for refuse collection, seems odd to me as thats included in our council tax/rental price here in the uk.

Thanks
Not that I can think of.
Old Feb 4th 2016, 2:38 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks
If the town doesn't offer pickup, you can usually take it to the dump/recycling center yourself, if you don't want to hire a contractor.
Old Feb 4th 2016, 4:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

bewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond reputebewildering has a reputation beyond repute

Internet
Renters insurance

Thanks
Good idea. You can get more bang for your buck by renting a normal single family home. One issue might be that you have no credit history for private landlords to examine. I'd get a letter from your employer to help with that problem. Most landlords will be very happy to rent to a professional with a family. If you can get a place west of the 5 it will be expensive, but great fun for the family.

Cardiff/Encinitas is a great place. That would be my top choice (I surf and Cardiff is amazing surf). But you can't go wrong with Carlsbad, Leucadia or Solano Beach. Oceanside is a little sketchier in parts, and has a lot of military.

My Single family home has about $90/month water, $50/month internet, home owners insurance is $50/month (renters insurance is cheaper), ~$120/month over the year gas/electric (depends on season, and if you have AC, and the summer. Last summer was remarkably hot and i had AC on a lot). I do not pay for trash collection but i am in city of San Diego. I am not sure about the cities in North County is different. I also pay for cleaning service once every 2 weeks ($80), and yard work once every 2 weeks ($20), but that should be included in rent. My biggest expense is family daycare for my toddler and infant. That is about $1000 per child

Most importantly get yourself a costco membership when you arrive. Their surfboards are only $99 each and are great to learn on (and even a sneaky pleasure for us more experienced surfers)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.