Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The rain in California...

The rain in California...

Old May 4th 2005, 11:03 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default The rain in California...

... falls mainly (but not exclusively) in May?!???

What's going on?

I moved here mainly for the weather. It's been sh!tty this year. I want my money back...
Old May 4th 2005, 11:32 pm
Up Yir Kilt

scotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of lightscotch03 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: The rain in California...

Compared to back home its far from shitty!
Old May 4th 2005, 11:53 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DonnaElvira

What's going on?

I moved here mainly for the weather. It's been sh!tty this year. I want my money back...
My hubby moved to the USA from Istanbul last, and is working in LA most of the time. Right after he remarked how he hadn't seen ANY rain in about 8 months - CA got all those drastic storms, rain, mudslides...and has barely let up since! I told him be careful what you ask for!

Rene
Old May 5th 2005, 12:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a native Southern Californian. When I moved over to the UK, I would forever get people saying "Why did you leave California?" "I bet you miss the weather" I never did. When we knew we were going to move back to the US, California was the last place in the world that I wanted to end up. That and Texas!
Old May 5th 2005, 12:09 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Noorah101
My hubby moved to the USA from Istanbul last, and is working in LA most of the time. Right after he remarked how he hadn't seen ANY rain in about 8 months - CA got all those drastic storms, rain, mudslides...and has barely let up since! I told him be careful what you ask for!

Rene
Not had any mudslides in my neck of the woods, but right now it's 9!$$!*9

Normally, this time of the year, we would have been swimming for a month!!!

I blame global warming - all those SUVs...
Old May 5th 2005, 12:12 am
Homebody

Originally Posted by AmerLisa
I'm a native Southern Californian. When I moved over to the UK, I would forever get people saying "Why did you leave California?" "I bet you miss the weather" I never did. When we knew we were going to move back to the US, California was the last place in the world that I wanted to end up. That and Texas!
So now you're in Washington, is that right? Seattle?? But doesn't it rain rather a lot?

I was thinking of taking my son (aged 20) to Seattle for a weekend as he's getting a bit bored here. Would this be a good idea, IYHO?

NB: Still drizzling here...
Old May 5th 2005, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

I blame global warming - all those SUVs...
Do you know ever since I moved to California 10 months ago I've been thinking to myself "why is the weather so shit?" and there you go, I moved, bought an SUV, rain...I'm sorry its all my fault..please everyone, feel free to come over and flog me...
Doesn't the garden look lovely though?
Old May 5th 2005, 12:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

So now you're in Washington, is that right? Seattle?? But doesn't it rain rather a lot?

I was thinking of taking my son (aged 20) to Seattle for a weekend as he's getting a bit bored here. Would this be a good idea, IYHO?

NB: Still drizzling here...
It actually hasn't rained that much here, I guess that's unusual. Anyway, its not the rain that bugs me....in California its too hot and there is a distinct lack of seasons....something I never liked. It does get a bit warm here in the summer and a bit more humid, but its definitely greener here and very pretty in the fall.

Seattle is interesting to visit and there is also Canada, not too far away. What does he like to do?
Old May 5th 2005, 1:13 am
looking for the corkscrew

bored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond reputebored-silly has a reputation beyond repute

I had guests from the UK last year in the last week of Feb and the first week of March. It peed it down for their first week and we had glorious sunshine for the second week. After that, it rained for 1 day from March to November!!!
I thought this was normal so I have been bragging to everyone at home all bloody year about 'Oh, after March, we don't get ANY rain, blah blah blah.'
Huh, so it may be my fault.
Historically, we don't get any rain for the rest of the summer after May 15th so roll on 2 weeks. Then we can party in the garden! Yay!
Old May 5th 2005, 1:24 am
ImHere

Originally Posted by bored-silly
Historically, we don't get any rain for the rest of the summer after May 15th so roll on 2 weeks. Then we can party in the garden! Yay!
Where I am we have just had the driest October to November on record but we are now entering the rainy season.....and boy does it rain. And thunder and lightening. Apparently in May here recieves 3.5 lightening strikes per square kilometer per day. I can believe it too. Good job I love big storms.

Old May 5th 2005, 1:35 am
BE Forum Addict

woodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond reputewoodsey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
Where I am we have just had the driest October to November on record but we are now entering the rainy season.....and boy does it rain. And thunder and lightening. Apparently in May here recieves 3.5 lightening strikes per square kilometer per day. I can believe it too. Good job I love big storms.
I remember being in Florida one May, in Clearwater and watching from the balcony of out hotel one of the most spectacular storms I've ever seen, it was awesome (hate that word but does apply to things like this)
Old May 5th 2005, 2:51 am
Account Closed

Eskimo is an unknown quantity at this point

What's going on?

got to agree I've been working on off here for years and never once seen it rain. I work with people who say they have never in 50 years seen rain in April never mind May. Most my mates say they are usually swimming in their pools by the end of March - we have been in the hot tub and thats it. However long range shows mid 80s and sunshine ahead - at least the moisture will stop the fires in few months
Old May 5th 2005, 5:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Guelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond reputeGuelder Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Eskimo
got to agree I've been working on off here for years and never once seen it rain. I work with people who say they have never in 50 years seen rain in April never mind May. Most my mates say they are usually swimming in their pools by the end of March - we have been in the hot tub and thats it. However long range shows mid 80s and sunshine ahead - at least the moisture will stop the fires in few months
I think I have seen just as much rain here as I ever did in the UK ... BUT in the UK we didn't have to contend with flooded roads every time it rained! One day last week it rained during the night ... got up at 9am and went to the store only to find the main road totally blocked off due to flooding ... bloody ridiculous! Most of the roads here seem to be lacking in the obvious need for drainage ... and the new roads being built ... well, let's just say that they don't seem to learn from their mistakes!

Oh, and what is really funny is that every time they block the road off the locals move the blockade and drive through anyway ... despite there being another route which takes just 1 minute longer, despite there being a sign which clearly says flooded, despite the fact that unless they are blind they can see that the road is now more like a lake, despite the fact that they can actually see other drivers waving for help because they drove past the barrier, into the lake and then wondered why the hell their car came to a grinding halt ... and even despite the fact that they must have seen all the stranded drivers with their broken down motors stuck there last time it rained!
Old May 5th 2005, 6:11 am
BE Forum Addict

USBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond reputeUSBound has a reputation beyond repute

a week or so ago.. my girlfriend had to go to an office around LAX from woodland hills (LA) this involves a 7 mile stint on the 101 then a 15mile stint on the 405... getting there was fine... on the way back... @ roughly 4:23 it started raining... @ 4:27 www.sigalert.com reported 7 (YES SEVEN) crashes along the immediate stretch of the 405 she was on, all occuring in the minutes between 4:23 and 4:27.......

in conclusion... LA isn't designed for rain... but also... LA drivers simply don't know how to handle it
Old May 5th 2005, 11:27 am
ImHere

Originally Posted by Guelder Rose
I think I have seen just as much rain here as I ever did in the UK ... BUT in the UK we didn't have to contend with flooded roads every time it rained! One day last week it rained during the night ... got up at 9am and went to the store only to find the main road totally blocked off due to flooding ... bloody ridiculous! Most of the roads here seem to be lacking in the obvious need for drainage ... and the new roads being built ... well, let's just say that they don't seem to learn from their mistakes!

Oh, and what is really funny is that every time they block the road off the locals move the blockade and drive through anyway ... despite there being another route which takes just 1 minute longer, despite there being a sign which clearly says flooded, despite the fact that unless they are blind they can see that the road is now more like a lake, despite the fact that they can actually see other drivers waving for help because they drove past the barrier, into the lake and then wondered why the hell their car came to a grinding halt ... and even despite the fact that they must have seen all the stranded drivers with their broken down motors stuck there last time it rained!

Is it Nevada has the "Stupid Motorist Law"? If you deliberately ignore a flood barrier and get stuck you have to pay to be rescued. Seems reasonable to me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.