Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Racism gone mad..

Racism gone mad..

Old Oct 3rd 2007, 3:38 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute
Default Racism gone mad..

Is it just me, this story about a 5th grade crossword puzzle, downloaded from an education site, and given to 5th Graders contained an answer that was the "N" word. Read the story and you decide...

I think it TEACHES the KIDS HISTORY, you can't HIDE from HISTORY, ONLY learn from IT - that's my view. i don't understand why people get mad over something like this... Especially when you read the actual question!!!

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,299083,00.html
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 3:50 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Racism gone mad..

Originally Posted by franc11s View Post
Is it just me, this story about a 5th grade crossword puzzle, downloaded from an education site, and given to 5th Graders contained an answer that was the "N" word. Read the story and you decide...

I think it TEACHES the KIDS HISTORY, you can't HIDE from HISTORY, ONLY learn from IT - that's my view. i don't understand why people get mad over something like this... Especially when you read the actual question!!!

There must be some irony in here that the story was on Faux News -- and then the OP states that we need to learn our lessons from history. To borrow Orwell: “To tell deliberate lies while genuinely believing in them, to forget any fact that has become inconvenient, and then when it becomes necessary again, to draw it back from oblivion for just so long as it is needed".

On the topic, IMO placing such a word in a crossword to teach young kids was stupid and insensitive rather than racist.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 3:58 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

I presume it was the word 'negro'. using the n word down here is likely to get you punched hard, and just just from my wife...

otherwise you may be looking down the barrel of a hi-point...
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 4:39 pm
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

I think it TEACHES the KIDS HISTORY, you can't HIDE from HISTORY, ONLY learn from IT
Yes, but people (or rather, people who are not African-American) generally do not even use the "n" word even in the context of discussions about the "n" word, let alone casually. So it's hardly surprising that throwing it in a wordsearch seems a bit flippant to many people. I don't think that's hiding from history.

In the absence of any other information, I don't think the teacher was motivated by racism and actually I suspect she just hadn't read through the whole thing before giving it to the class. It's a bit embarrassing, and even more so when she tried to unsuccessfully explain her way out of it, but if she genuinely acknowledges it was a balls-up, I don't think she should be run out of town for it.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 6:44 pm
Account Closed

lanky spoken here is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lapin_windstar View Post
Yes, but people (or rather, people who are not African-American) generally do not even use the "n" word even in the context of discussions about the "n" word, let alone casually. So it's hardly surprising that throwing it in a wordsearch seems a bit flippant to many people. I don't think that's hiding from history.

In the absence of any other information, I don't think the teacher was motivated by racism and actually I suspect she just hadn't read through the whole thing before giving it to the class. It's a bit embarrassing, and even more so when she tried to unsuccessfully explain her way out of it, but if she genuinely acknowledges it was a balls-up, I don't think she should be run out of town for it.
And the term African-American from people who can't find it on a map and/or have never been within 2000 miles of Africa.

Whatever colour you are, if you're born in America...You're AMERICAN, not African
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 7:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lanky spoken here View Post
And the term African-American from people who can't find it on a map and/or have never been within 2000 miles of Africa.

Whatever colour you are, if you're born in America...You're AMERICAN, not African
Here we go again!
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 7:03 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'm a togengican ....and don't you forget it ....
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 7:04 pm
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

So you think kids should be taught how to insult people? There's a way of educating kids that does teach them the history without validating the words they could use (can you imagine a young kids thought process on this one "oh, you're black, I want to insult you, this word was used in class and it was taught as a way to insult black people, it fits what I want to do so I'll use it"). This was part of a homework assignment - not a part of a wider discussion which is very different.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 7:04 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

they don't savvy that or don't want to
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 7:15 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

You don't make the rules in America though ..... Americans do and if they like to prefix their nationality with their origins or ethnicity then more power to them. Feel free to let it annoy you though.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 7:16 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

It's a slur and an insulting word. Did she also include bitch, whore, mother****er and bastard on this crossword?
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 7:19 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like political correctness gone over the top.

Old Oct 3rd 2007, 7:19 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil View Post
So you think kids should be taught how to insult people? There's a way of educating kids that does teach them the history without validating the words they could use (can you imagine a young kids thought process on this one "oh, you're black, I want to insult you, this word was used in class and it was taught as a way to insult black people, it fits what I want to do so I'll use it"). This was part of a homework assignment - not a part of a wider discussion which is very different.
Show us how you teach the word without telling them it is an insult for people with black or brown skins, will you please?

Have you ESP'd that they were not told that insulting people is wrong, in advance in a general discussion, or that it would be in a follow-up?
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 7:20 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by TruBrit View Post
they don't savvy that or don't want to
Neither - we're not doing it for anybody but ourselves so we don't care if anybody else "approves". We just do whatever we like - it's our country.
Old Oct 3rd 2007, 7:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66 View Post
You don't make the rules in America though ..... Americans do and if they like to prefix their nationality with their origins or ethnicity then more power to them. Feel free to let it annoy you though.

Grrrrrrrrr....

Hey it's a free country!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.