Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Quorn in the USA!

Quorn in the USA!

Old May 18th 2004, 3:50 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Quorn in the USA!

Has anyone noticed Quorn (it's even manufactured in the UK) in their local grocery stores?

It's been in my local Harris Teeter for at least a couple of weeks and now it's on special. I didn't like it in the UK but compared to what's available in the US, I kind of like the taste.

Downside is that it's more expensive than in the UK (since it's manufactured in the UK) but not that much more expensive than comparable vegetarian products.
Old May 18th 2004, 4:13 pm
Rock Goddess

Rockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond reputeRockgurl has a reputation beyond repute

Dunno, but this wins Best Thread Title of the week!
Old May 18th 2004, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

pinKaboo has a brilliant futurepinKaboo has a brilliant futurepinKaboo has a brilliant futurepinKaboo has a brilliant futurepinKaboo has a brilliant futurepinKaboo has a brilliant future

I really like Quorn but I've heard some people aren't so keen on it this side of the pond. I've seen a few American news articles screaming out that it is "Fungus Food!" and claiming that it makes almost 5% of those who eat it ill! Strange considering that it's been eaten for many years in Europe without such a palaver being created.

http://www.txfb.org/TexasAgriculture...02opinions.htm

http://www.cspinet.org/new/200309231.html

Mmm wish I could find some in my local supermarket.
Old May 18th 2004, 4:27 pm
You fat bastard

adeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really niceadeshell is just really nice

I ate the stuff for years in the UK with no problems.

I was thrilled to get some over here(US) and even got my local supermarket manager to stock it. Every time I eat it over here, I get stomach cramps and nausea. I don't know if they make it differently, but I don't eat it any more.
Old May 18th 2004, 5:20 pm
madscientist

Originally posted by adeshell
I ate the stuff for years in the UK with no problems.

I was thrilled to get some over here(US) and even got my local supermarket manager to stock it. Every time I eat it over here, I get stomach cramps and nausea. I don't know if they make it differently, but I don't eat it any more.
The only time I ever had it was here in the UK, and it made me sick too.

Old May 18th 2004, 5:29 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Stop and Shop sell it and also Wholefood stores.

Loved it in the UK and love it here. Can also get Linda McCartney foods too now.
Old May 18th 2004, 5:38 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Rockgurl
Dunno, but this wins Best Thread Title of the week!
I thought the title was pretty witty too! Picture Bruce with a box of Quorn in his back pocket instead of the baseball cap (is that right?)
Old May 18th 2004, 9:23 pm

Nell is an unknown quantity at this point

I've not found it here in South NJ but I used to love it in UK.
Old May 18th 2004, 10:18 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Ben has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond reputeBen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Nell
I've not found it here in South NJ but I used to love it in UK.

You will just have to make a trip to Long Island then, won't you

You can also get it in NYC at Fairways by the way.
Old May 18th 2004, 10:22 pm

Nell is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Ben
You will just have to make a trip to Long Island then, won't you

You can also get it in NYC at Fairways by the way.
You make that disco ball and I'll be on my way
Old May 18th 2004, 10:54 pm
Ben
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by Nell
You make that disco ball and I'll be on my way

better get sticking
Old May 18th 2004, 11:54 pm
thingluvthing2ringfingIdo

thing1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nicething1 is just really nice
Default Re: Quorn in the USA!

Originally posted by NC Penguin
Has anyone noticed Quorn (it's even manufactured in the UK) in their local grocery stores?
I have found Quorn products in a local health food store here but never in the regular grocery stores. I would be happy to see it alongside Morningstar, Bocca, and GardenBurger products at our local grocers. I never really thought about asking them to order it for me....so I might have to try that sometime.

I miss the "fresh" Quorn slices we had in England. I do enjoy the Quorn Roast very much and use it as a substitute for sandwich slices.

I can't say I have ever been made sick by eating the product and this is the first time I have ever heard of it doing that to people.
Old May 19th 2004, 12:44 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

Originally posted by thing1
I have found Quorn products in a local health food store here but never in the regular grocery stores. I would be happy to see it alongside Morningstar, Bocca, and GardenBurger products at our local grocers. I never really thought about asking them to order it for me....so I might have to try that sometime.

I miss the "fresh" Quorn slices we had in England. I do enjoy the Quorn Roast very much and use it as a substitute for sandwich slices.

I can't say I have ever been made sick by eating the product and this is the first time I have ever heard of it doing that to people.
Actually I just finished the remainders of the Quorn roast I made on Sunday. That's four meals out of it and neither myself nor my spouse was sick from eating the product.

I do admit that it was tricky to cook because I used one of those roasting bags. The Quorn packaging said that the roast should be roasted in the oven at 425F but the roasting bag said the oven shouldn't be hotter than 400F. Nevertheless, with a temp setting of 375 for 45 mins cooked it just right.
Old May 19th 2004, 12:47 am
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute

Shaws does it too but I haven't got round to buying any yet.
Old May 19th 2004, 7:37 am
madscientist

Originally posted by thing1

It might have been a bad batch, or some ingredient in Quorn didn't agree with me. Mushrooms make me sick; doesn't Quorn have mushroom in it?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.