Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Quiet disclosure of FBAR

Quiet disclosure of FBAR

Old Feb 12th 2011, 12:41 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quiet disclosure of FBAR

Originally Posted by EU_Girl
Woow! Have read about FATCA! I personally do not get it why my money (saving) in my home country is US business? I understand offshore businesses, not taxed income, but why do I need to tell them how much I have saved so far? Even my country does not ask such a report from me. If I can stay here in the US long-term, I have just decided to transfer all my money here and to not report FBARs, FATCAs and other nonsense forms. Would this work?!
Yes that would work. FBAR and FATCA are specifically for non-US accounts above a certain dollar amount. I came to the US out of college and took all the money out of my bank account in the UK. I didn't close my UK student bank account, but it had zero balance and after ten years of no activity the bank closed it for me
Old Feb 12th 2011, 12:56 pm
Passport Collector

dreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond reputedreamercon has a reputation beyond repute

What do you do if you have signature authority, but no financial interest, in your employer's bank account? And if you have signed confidentiality agreements regarding disclosure of any balances in your employer's bank account?

I feel there is an argument that the FBAR violates the right to privacy guaranteed by the fourth amendment in these and other cases.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 1:24 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
FATCA comes into effect soon. That is in addition to FBAR and is on accounts over $50k. So you have to file similar information twice....oh and it has it's own set of outrageous fines and penalties too. This is truly becoming Kafkaesque.
nun,

Please stop. The FBAR issue is a real issue for individuals, and FATCA is not. Go back to your original thread and re-read it. You are muddying the FBAR waters here.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=698597

FATCA is all about financial institutions. You do not have to file similar information twice.

Thanks.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 3:59 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

nun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond reputenun has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celticgrid
nun,

Please stop. The FBAR issue is a real issue for individuals, and FATCA is not. Go back to your original thread and re-read it. You are muddying the FBAR waters here.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=698597

FATCA is all about financial institutions. You do not have to file similar information twice.

Thanks.
These waters are quite murky without me having to do much. I believe we had a difference over the application of withholding tax on overseas transfers to non-compliant FATCA foreign financial institutions. However, that is completely separate from the individual's requirement to comply with FATCA. I believe that FATCA is required for tax years after 18th March 2010, and the IRS is actively working on new forms. FATCA imposes a second filing requirement for foreign accounts in addition to FBAR. Section 511 of FATCA creates new IRC section 6038D, which requires U.S. taxpayers with foreign accounts and assets with an aggregate value exceeding $50,000 to report them on an informational return.

Last edited by nun; Feb 12th 2011 at 4:21 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 5:08 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nun
These waters are quite murky without me having to do much. I believe we had a difference over the application of withholding tax on overseas transfers to non-compliant FATCA foreign financial institutions. However, that is completely separate from the individual's requirement to comply with FATCA. I believe that FATCA is required for tax years after 18th March 2010, and the IRS is actively working on new forms. FATCA imposes a second filing requirement for foreign accounts in addition to FBAR. Section 511 of FATCA creates new IRC section 6038D, which requires U.S. taxpayers with foreign accounts and assets with an aggregate value exceeding $50,000 to report them on an informational return.
Apologies. Without any specifics from you I had assumed you were back on your 30% withholding issue. Which does not apply to individuals. I do think you have raised an important issue, but you are slightly misleading.

Originally Posted by nun
FBAR and FATCA are specifically for non-US accounts above a certain dollar amount.
No. FBAR is for foreign accounts with a combined balance of over $10,000. The FATCA section you refer to is for foreign assets over a combined value of $50,000.

Originally Posted by nun
FATCA comes into effect soon. That is in addition to FBAR and is on accounts over $50k.
No. It is assets, not accounts.

Now that is a bit scary. Assets potentially include cash, foreign real estate, foreign stocks and shares, hedge funds, equity funds, and who knows what else.

I tripped over a reasonably understandable article on this. Link follows for those that care:

http://www.lexology.com/library/deta...6-a17d42d0d178

The article closes with the following text:

Certainly, the doubling of the penalties and statute of limitations for foreign noncompliance may cause certain taxpayers to rethink investing abroad. However, it may very well be the accidental Americans and resident aliens under the substantial presence test who bear the greatest burden, as they often are not aware of their U.S. Form 1040 requirements, much less should they be expected to know about FATCA.
Many of the people on BE have some reading to do. Me included. We have 12 months to figure this out.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 5:39 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

We have 12 months to figure this out.
That's where a good tax CPA is worth their annual fee. Mine works it out and makes sure I comply.

The $325 fee he charges to do our taxes, make sure we comply with all the regulations which get overlooked, and work out my quarterly Federal and State tax payments for the coming year on my UK income is money well spent.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 6:50 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

So then would anyone with a house overseas have to file a FATCA form?
Old Feb 12th 2011, 7:48 pm
Forum Regular

janette is on a distinguished road

The article I read says that US sourced foreign assets need to be reported under FATCA. If that is so, money and assets, eg. house in UK, would surely be exempt if the money came from UK income ? The balance in my UK account is a result of Uk income, which has already been taxed, and my house was paid for with a UK mortgage - there has never been any money sent from the US. I am not certain if this needs to be reported, although I do understand that I need to send an FBAR declaration and worldwide income and tax is submitted on the tax return. Am I missing something here?
Old Feb 12th 2011, 8:10 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by janette
The article I read says that US sourced foreign assets need to be reported under FATCA. If that is so, money and assets, eg. house in UK, would surely be exempt if the money came from UK income ? The balance in my UK account is a result of Uk income, which has already been taxed, and my house was paid for with a UK mortgage - there has never been any money sent from the US. I am not certain if this needs to be reported, although I do understand that I need to send an FBAR declaration and worldwide income and tax is submitted on the tax return. Am I missing something here?
You bring up good questions, which is why this is all so worrying and confusing. The spirit of FBAR and FATCA is to get US tax payers to declare their foreign accounts and assets so that the correct tax can be assessed. If you are a US resident for tax purposes you have to declare your UK income and take tax exclusions or credits for UK tax paid. There will likely be no US tax due, but you have to tell the IRS about it as you are taxed on your worldwide income. Obviously FBAR will apply on $10k worth of foreign accounts. If you sell your UK home you'll have to satisfy both US and UK tax authorities about CGT. The UK/US tax treaty will probably have something to say about your situation, but if you are a US tax resident my inclination would be to declare the house on FATCA even if you paid for it with money you earned before you were subject to IRS regulations because they are going to want their cut of any CGT if you sell it. I'd hate to be hit with the fines.

Last edited by nun; Feb 12th 2011 at 8:27 pm.
Old Feb 12th 2011, 8:19 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by penguinbar
So then would anyone with a house overseas have to file a FATCA form?
I believe so, of course ask your advisor
Old Feb 12th 2011, 8:21 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to start a new thread on this subject, but since this one is live I may as well post here.

I moved to the US in March 2010 on an L1A visa, and have been here since making me US resident. Accordingly I am filling a tax return for my worldwide income at present.

Reading the advise on the IRS website:

"Q. When is the FBAR due?

A. The FBAR is due by June 30 of the year following the year that the account holder meets the $10,000 threshold. The granting, by IRS, of an extension to file Federal income tax returns does not extend the due date for filing an FBAR. Filers cannot request an extension of the FBAR due date. See also Notice 2010-23."

So it is my read that I need to file my first FBAR by June 30th 2011, as I would have become eligible in 2010, my first year of residence in the US.

Am I missing something?

tht
Old Feb 12th 2011, 8:25 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
So it is my read that I need to file my first FBAR by June 30th 2011, as I would have become eligible in 2010, my first year of residence in the US.

tht
Correct
Old Feb 12th 2011, 8:30 pm
nun
BE Forum Addict

Apologies. Without any specifics from you I had assumed you were back on your 30% withholding issue. Which does not apply to individuals. I do think you have raised an important issue.
No need to apologize, it's just important that we get FBAR and FATCA out in the open as the IRS doesn't let you use ignorance of the law as an excuse to avoid the fines.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 8:03 am

EU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud of

Out of subject (i.e. FBAR) sorry
Can someone please direct me to a website or explain FATCA please? Is it not yet in live i.e. no reporting is needed? If I own properties (real estate) in my home country (exceedig 50K) do I need to deal with FATCA then as well?
I think (if I stay in the US which hopefully turns out this year) I need to consult with a tax expert. However, I would appreciate if anyone who knows more than me direct me to a useful website(s) or assist me here.
Thank you!

Last edited by EU_Girl; Feb 13th 2011 at 8:12 am.
Old Feb 13th 2011, 8:09 am

EU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud of

Thanks for your thoughts nun!

Originally Posted by nun
Yes that would work. FBAR and FATCA are specifically for non-US accounts above a certain dollar amount. I came to the US out of college and took all the money out of my bank account in the UK. I didn't close my UK student bank account, but it had zero balance and after ten years of no activity the bank closed it for me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.