Quick Question about UK Pensions

Old Nov 4th 2010, 5:00 am
Frequent Flyer

Carolina Tiger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Quick Question about UK Pensions

Can I claim from this side of the pond?
Old Nov 4th 2010, 5:33 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quick Question about UK Pensions

Originally Posted by Carolina Tiger
Can I claim from this side of the pond?
State pension or private/employer-related pension?

The former depends on whether you are affected by the Windfall Provision (Do a Search), I think, whereas the latter, can't see why you wouldn't.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 5:39 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

If you are eligible for the pension to be paid you can claim it. Between my wife and I we have 2 private pensions and one state pension paid from the UK.

The State pension they can pay it into a US bank for you. Both our private pensions have that option as well, but it varies from scheme to scheme.

We have all of ours paid into a UK bank account. That way we can change it to dollars when the rate is favorable, and we can control the cost of doing so as well. US banks tend to charge an incoming wire transfer fee. and there is often a fee if the money goes through an intermediary bank in the US as well.
Old Nov 4th 2010, 9:33 am
Frequent Flyer

Originally Posted by dunroving
State pension or private/employer-related pension?

The former depends on whether you are affected by the Windfall Provision (Do a Search), I think, whereas the latter, can't see why you wouldn't.

I've still got twenty years to wait but was just curious. It's just state penguin and a military one as well.
Old Nov 5th 2010, 2:06 am
Frequent Flyer

Anyone know then if I get my US citizenship, does that affect my UK Pension?
Old Nov 5th 2010, 2:15 am

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone know then if I get my US citizenship, does that affect my UK Pension?
It will not effect your State pension it will effect how your military pension is taxed.

The military pension is considered a government service pension and as such if you are a Brit living in the US it can only be taxed in the UK. However once you become a US citizen and living in the US it can only be taxed in the US. If it is being taxed in the UK you have your UK personal allowance to offset some of the tax.
Old Nov 5th 2010, 2:18 am
Frequent Flyer

Originally Posted by lansbury
It will not effect your State pension it will effect how your military pension is taxed.

The military pension is considered a government service pension and as such if you are a Brit living in the US it can only be taxed in the UK. However once you become a US citizen and living in the US it can only be taxed in the US. If it is being taxed in the UK you have your UK personal allowance to offset some of the tax.

Thanks mate

I appreciate the info. Out of interest how do you apply for your pension if you are in another country? It's not like I can nip inot the post office
Old Nov 5th 2010, 4:39 am

Thanks mate

I appreciate the info. Out of interest how do you apply for your pension if you are in another country? It's not like I can nip inot the post office
As long as you have notified them of your new address, they just send the form to you. My wife got hers in August and receives her first payment from the State pension this month.

All the details you need including contact info is at

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Dl1/Dire...acts/DG_178684