Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

quick question about money orders

quick question about money orders

Old Dec 16th 2003, 4:26 pm
Forum Regular

SamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really nice
Default quick question about money orders

hi all,

never having used these before i am not sure exactly how you go about getting money orders. i need to pay for something by money order, so can i just go in to any bank and hand over $xxx and get a money order made payable to xxxxxxxx? or do i have to go to a bank where i have an account?

sorry about the simple question but i just have no idea and as i don't have a car yet i don't want to be walking miles between places asking in banks etc.....

thanks,

SamJ
Old Dec 16th 2003, 4:35 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

I'm pretty sure that any bank will give you a money order (for a fee) regardless of if you have an account with them!
Old Dec 16th 2003, 4:44 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: quick question about money orders

Originally posted by SamuearlJackson
hi all,

never having used these before i am not sure exactly how you go about getting money orders. i need to pay for something by money order, so can i just go in to any bank and hand over $xxx and get a money order made payable to xxxxxxxx? or do i have to go to a bank where i have an account?
sorry about the simple question but i just have no idea and as i don't have a car yet i don't want to be walking miles between places asking in banks etc.....
thanks,SamJ
Any US post office will supply money orders..so will a lot of supermarkets and even garages in some states ...
Old Dec 16th 2003, 7:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

Originally posted by SamuearlJackson
hi all,

thanks,

SamJ
It is a lot cheaper to buy one at a Supermarket as opposed to the Post Office.
Old Dec 16th 2003, 8:58 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by effi
It is a lot cheaper to buy one at a Supermarket as opposed to the Post Office.
The post office fees are
0.01 to $500.00 ...................$0.90
$500.01 to $1,000.00 ...........$1.25

here supermarkets charge $1.50
Old Dec 16th 2003, 9:07 pm
Never right in the head!

Yosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond reputeYosser has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ray6
Any US post office will supply money orders..so will a lot of
supermarkets and even garages in some states ...
Yep, I used 7-11 once and Tom Thumb a couple of times.
Old Dec 17th 2003, 2:21 pm
Forum Regular

SamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really niceSamuearlJackson is just really nice

thanks for getting back to me - i eventually went to the closest bank and got it sorted.

cheers,

SamJ
Old Dec 17th 2003, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

effi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud ofeffi has much to be proud of

The post office fees are
0.01 to $500.00 ...................$0.90
$500.01 to $1,000.00 ...........$1.25

here supermarkets charge $1.50
Guess it depends where you live. I bought 2 in one week for similar amounts and the supermarket was half the cost of the one I bought at the PO.
Old Dec 17th 2003, 4:40 pm
Ray

Guess it depends where you live. I bought 2 in one week for similar amounts and the supermarket was half the cost of the one I bought at the PO.
Hi Effi..yes your right...Money orders are big business here...we are all poor unlike you Arizonians
Old Dec 17th 2003, 4:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hi Effi..yes your right...Money orders are big business here...we are all poor unlike you Arizonians
LOL, poor in Florida, yeah right. We have 10 million mexicans to support here, plus half of CA who are on their way as we speak.
Old Dec 17th 2003, 4:54 pm
Ray

LOL, poor in Florida, yeah right. We have 10 million mexicans to support here, plus half of CA who are on their way as we speak.
We just have a few cubans and a lot of English tourists who won't go home (lol)