Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

quick question

quick question

Old Jun 19th 2005, 8:05 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: quick question

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
snowbunny, your teachers still hate you.
I always look for loopholes. Without exploiting loopholes in the system, I would never have gotten this far, and life would have been far more boring
Old Jun 19th 2005, 10:07 pm
Just Joined

doc d is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by dbj1000
We asked question 2 of our immigration lawyer (highly respected, top immigration lawyer) and the answer is just what others here have told you; no work means no work.

My wife is on an H4 and was offered a consultancy job for a company based in Europe and doing business exclusively within Europe. They wanted her to work on their project on an online-only basis. Our lawyer's response: she would have to leave the US to do the job, since her visa states that she may not undertake ANY paid work whilst resident here.

but at least you're getting some straight answers.
thats great. a straight answer with an explanation, from someone who's in a similar position. rather than a flat "no. you can't".
i'll start talking to an immigration lawyer about the possibility of converting her h4 to b1 while we're applying for the "green card".
i'm in my second year of an H-1B. she's been there, i've been here for the last 18 months. we're looking at ways to get this working for us. H4 solves the immediate problem, green card/consultancy work (b1) solves the long term.
Old Jun 19th 2005, 10:11 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by doc d
thats great. a straight answer with an explanation, from someone who's in a similar position. rather than a flat "no. you can't".
i'll start talking to an immigration lawyer about the possibility of converting her h4 to b1 while we're applying for the "green card".
i'm in my second year of an H-1B. she's been there, i've been here for the last 18 months. we're looking at ways to get this working for us. H4 solves the immediate problem, green card/consultancy work (b1) solves the long term.
Look. I suggested you go to the US Visas and US Immigration forums where there many people on H1-Bs and H-4s. Have you looked at either forum? Have you conducted a search in both?

Answers to your question about your wife working is probably in one of those forums...

NC Penguin
Old Jun 19th 2005, 10:20 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Hey everybody! Marvelous news! Pulaski's 8 is dead. Just get yourself a B-1 and you too can live and work in the US of A.

Now don't all those who slaved away at getting the right visa look stoopid, eh?
Old Jun 19th 2005, 10:43 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
Look. I suggested you go to the US Visas and US Immigration forums where there many people on H1-Bs and H-4s. Have you looked at either forum? Have you conducted a search in both?
Answers to your question about your wife working is probably in one of those forums...
NC Penguin
and thats fine. and i am looking. but!
someone answered my question, which praise be to the moderators of this board/forum/world in which those who can type faster than they can speak are king, and i'm really thankful/grateful/happy that they did. in the perfect way. before it spiraled off forever into the realms of "well you could sit on a boat on thursdays, water-ski to bermuda on fridays, take a jet flight to cuba (via canada of course)" and then nothing got done.

how often does that happen?
so now, armed with this information i can start asking a lawyer other questions, about b visas, about work permits while applying for a green card and so on and so forth.

so, to make sure that you're not upset NC, thank you for pointing me in the direction of the forums about immigration but most h4 topics that i've stumbled across haven't been that great. for instance, there's a man moaning that his wife (who he married on the phone and hasn't seen. ever.) can't get an h4.
so you'll forgive me for being dubious as to finding an answer as quickly as the one i've received.
eh?
Old Jun 19th 2005, 10:45 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Are you sure that's right?????????
Old Jun 19th 2005, 10:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Manc
that's why i'm going to ask.
i got the answer i want to the first question i asked here.
i'm not going to push my luck for today.

and after 5 more minutes looking around, thats b-1 visas out the window....
work permits and green cards it is.

Last edited by doc d; Jun 19th 2005 at 10:51 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2005, 10:54 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

It'll all end in tears...

But the guy's a doc, so I'm sure he must be right on this one...
Old Jun 19th 2005, 10:57 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

In the perfect way. before it spiraled off forever into the realms of "well you could sit on a boat on thursdays, water-ski to bermuda on fridays, take a jet flight to cuba (via canada of course)" and then nothing got done.
Thanks for the insults. You got your answer before I asked my questions.

Sometimes I learn something that can help myself or others if I persist in asking questions to satisfy my curiosity.

The risk you take in posting in the Lifestyle section is that this forum is not dedicated to immigration questions.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 4:29 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin

NC Penguin
That's right NC, because I didn't answer the question at all, did I?

Personally, I don't share this little obsession with posting each question in the "approved" forum... but at least you've stopped moving them all over the place!
Old Jun 20th 2005, 4:38 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

you cannot work at all on a H4 visa.

I am sure I said this on post number 2.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 4:42 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Personally, I don't share this little obsession with posting each question in the "approved" forum... but at least you've stopped moving them all over the place!
Umm !! a bit nasty that ... Thats one of the things MODS are meant to do ....
Old Jun 20th 2005, 4:43 am
@matthewb76

Originally Posted by Ray
we would have moved it to alt.lamps.electricity.voltage but we couldn't find the usernet group.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 4:54 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Ray called me nasty!

Thanks Ray, you made my week.
Old Jun 20th 2005, 5:04 am
Lapine Member

we would have moved it to alt.lamps.electricity.voltage but we couldn't find the usernet group.
ah the good old days of alt.docd.boink.boink.boink

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.