Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Quick question...

Quick question...

Old Jun 16th 2004, 2:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Quick question...

I'm sure this is probably on here somewhere but I can't get online from home and keep getting caught at work LOL

I know it takes 6 months or so to get the pet passport in place - and that if you dont have it the animals (in my case cats) would go into quarantine. Does anyone know how much approx it costs and also, if I was to fly to Amsterdam, but final destination is Glasgow - would they take them from me at the first point of entry in Europe or the final destination?

I'm just, shall we say, "exploring some options" right now. My old boss heard via my friend that I'm not exactly on top of the world and is considering giving me my old job back, had a long talk with my mum on the phone last night about stuff and at this stage leaning toward heading home.

Thanks in advance!
Old Jun 16th 2004, 2:20 pm
C.G.D.S

sibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond reputesibsie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quick question...

I've looked the pet passport scheme up recently. You can apply for them to get early release from quarentine.
http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quar...pets/index.htm

As far as I know the quarentine will be in England.
Old Jun 16th 2004, 5:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

snorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond reputesnorkmaiden has a reputation beyond repute

Lesley, obviously if you really are sure you want to head home go ahead but do make sure you give yourself a little time before you arrange everything.

I've been here just over a year now and experienced a roller coaster ride full of differing emotions. The first few months in particular were exceptionally up and down.

The first few weeks I had the "wow, how fantastic is this?" experience, then the "what they don't even have this?" and then I had the "yes Mum it's 109 here and it's raining again over there " quickly followed by "holy crap $400 for a months electricity" and so on and so on.

Speaking to my mum and dad on the phone would make me homesick, a public holiday would send me into a decline, but on other days I couldn't imagine ever wanting to go home.

I know other people on here have said similar things and it's taken them a couple of years to really settle in, it's a huge culture shock if nothing else.

I know it's been crappy for you the last couple of weeks, but if you didn't come over here just for the dopey guy, try riding the rollercoaster a few more days before making any firm decisions
Old Jun 16th 2004, 8:07 pm
Just Joined

eilthireach is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Lesley1020
I'm sure this is probably on here somewhere but I can't get online from home and keep getting caught at work LOL

I know it takes 6 months or so to get the pet passport in place - and that if you dont have it the animals (in my case cats) would go into quarantine. Does anyone know how much approx it costs and also, if I was to fly to Amsterdam, but final destination is Glasgow - would they take them from me at the first point of entry in Europe or the final destination?

I'm just, shall we say, "exploring some options" right now. My old boss heard via my friend that I'm not exactly on top of the world and is considering giving me my old job back, had a long talk with my mum on the phone last night about stuff and at this stage leaning toward heading home.

Thanks in advance!
Lesley,

I can see why you might be thinking along these lines right now, but I agree wholeheartedly with ‘Snorkmaiden’ when she encourages you to hold on a bit longer before you decide to go back home.

<<[Snorkmaiden wrote:] I've been here just over a year now and experienced a roller coaster ride full of differing emotions. The first few months in particular were exceptionally up and down.

The first few weeks I had the "wow, how fantastic is this?" experience, then the "what they don't even have this?" and then I had the "yes Mum it's 109 here and it's raining again over there " quickly followed by "holy crap $400 for a months electricity" and so on and so on. ……….. I know other people on here have said similar things and it's taken them a couple of years to really settle in, it's a huge culture shock if nothing else.

I know it's been crappy for you the last couple of weeks, but if you didn't come over here just for the dopey guy, try riding the rollercoaster a few more days before making any firm decisions
>>

Like ‘Snorkmaiden’ and, I’m sure, many, many others who have come to another country to live, I too went through these ups and downs. My first year here was a particularly bumpy emotional ride – and that’s putting it mildly It was made worse by the physical isolation from my family and friends (I keep in touch by phone and email, of course, but it’s not the same, is it?) and the feeling of being trapped, having been denied an Advance Parole (= permission to leave the US while Immigration are processing your papers).
However, having made the move, I resolved to continue with the adventure and am lucky that I have all along had the moral support and encouragement of my family back home in Scotland. Stick it out for a while longer and see how you feel. At some point in the future you may regret having made such an in retrospect hasty decision to go back. You are at a crossroads in your life. Don’t make a U-turn just yet, however comforting the thought might be for you! (Been there, thought about throwing the towel in at first, but I stayed the course!). See where the other roads lead to!
Old Jun 16th 2004, 9:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute

The rollercoaster is such an appropriate word! I feel like a total loon right now since every day I seem to change my mind but its such an overwhelming urge at times to go home, especially when I talk to everyone on the phone and stuff - but I know you all have "been there done that".

I mean its ridiculous really, I was dead set this morning 110% I was going home, but I have to say after looking at all the DEFRA regulations and quarantine stuff - gosh - I think it would be easier to just start the pet passport procedure now and stick it out for a while longer so I get them right off. Problem is I still havent had a penny from the Housing Benefit (tho they assure me its on its way) and her lease is going to come up for renewal in 3 mos and at that point she could leave anyway so I will have to decide for sure pretty soon. So I guess its back to the old dips & dives on that rollercoaster!

As a side issue - the Social Security office called me this morning with my number, card is on its way. I called Dish Network this afternoon and they didn't recognize it - does anyone know would it take a while before I can use it for stuff like that. I figured I could get it on a month to month basis and get Easties for $9.95 a month hehe - which, for anyone interested is on Sundays and Mondays, and then repeated apparently on Thu and Fri. All for the bargain price of under a tenner - hey I should hopefully get that soon - may put me off going home!