Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Quick moving question ...

Quick moving question ...

Old Jul 13th 2009, 12:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Quick moving question ...

... sorry, I've done a search but can't find the answer to my specific question, and before I empty all the cupboards, please can you tell me if I should be doing that?

We're moving this week (post Green Card approval - bought our own home - yay!) and we're having packers come in to do the move. If it wasn't Sunday, I'd give them a call, but I can't find anything in their literature to say whether you should put all your kitchen stuff out on the sides for them to pack, or whether they do that.

Does anyone know who has been packed up before? I honestly can't remember what we did when we came over here .. I have an inkling we didn't.

Thanks
Old Jul 13th 2009, 1:21 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quick moving question ...

Originally Posted by Mandana
... sorry, I've done a search but can't find the answer to my specific question, and before I empty all the cupboards, please can you tell me if I should be doing that?

We're moving this week (post Green Card approval - bought our own home - yay!) and we're having packers come in to do the move. If it wasn't Sunday, I'd give them a call, but I can't find anything in their literature to say whether you should put all your kitchen stuff out on the sides for them to pack, or whether they do that.

Does anyone know who has been packed up before? I honestly can't remember what we did when we came over here .. I have an inkling we didn't.

Thanks
You were spot on: I found your question very moving indeed. I'm sitting here in floods of tears, barely able to see the keyboard to type an answer.

No bloody idea whatsoever about the answer, though. Sorry...

Last edited by nettlebed; Jul 13th 2009 at 1:23 am.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 1:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nettlebed
You were spot on: I found your question very moving indeed. I'm sitting here in floods of tears, barely able to see the keyboard to type an answer.

No bloody idea whatsoever about the answer, though. Sorry...
LOL, at least you replied! 14 others didn't
Old Jul 13th 2009, 1:28 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

LOL, at least you replied! 14 others didn't
To be honest, I doubt it makes much difference.

However...

...look at it this way: if they want you to take them out and you don't, stuff may get left behind or missed. If you WEREN'T supposed to take them out, but you do, I doubt they'll be on to their attorneys to sue you.

Were it me, I would take it all out.

Good luck!
Old Jul 13th 2009, 1:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nettlebed
To be honest, I doubt it makes much difference.

However...

...look at it this way: if they want you to take them out and you don't, stuff may get left behind or missed. If you WEREN'T supposed to take them out, but you do, I doubt they'll be on to their attorneys to sue you.

Were it me, I would take it all out.

Good luck!
Well after a manic day, I've decided to leave it for tonight and take the weight off my slingbacks. Tomorrow is another day, and one where I can ring the movers to clarify. OH thinks I should leave it all .. would suit me .. but .. damn, too tired to even think straight now!

Wish the moving fairies would move in and have it all licked overnight (wishful thinking)
Old Jul 13th 2009, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

lisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond reputelisa67 has a reputation beyond repute

Well after a manic day, I've decided to leave it for tonight and take the weight off my slingbacks. Tomorrow is another day, and one where I can ring the movers to clarify. OH thinks I should leave it all .. would suit me .. but .. damn, too tired to even think straight now!

Wish the moving fairies would move in and have it all licked overnight (wishful thinking)
FWIW, our movers pulled the stuff out of the cupboards themselves...good luck!
Old Jul 13th 2009, 2:58 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

every time ive been packed (several times in the uk and in the US) they have taken stuff out of the cupboards for me.

I would go through and pick up enough cups, plates and cutlery for one meal for your family, and a saucepan, microwave dish, stirrer, tin opener, large knife etc, with maybe washing up liquid and cleaners, tea towel, tea bags etc - and ask them to pack it seperatly and mark it specially so that once you arrive you can at least make a basic meal or cut up take away pizza- without having to unpack every sodding box to find a spoon or a knife. From experience they write very vague descriptions on the boxes, and also fill boxes with stuff from different cupboards together to even weight out or fill odd gaps etc. So you often have to unpack a lot of boxes to find the thing your looking for/useful stuff or before you can put stuff away in the new place - so a 'tide you over box' that can be quickly identified is very useful.
Old Jul 13th 2009, 3:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MsElui
every time ive been packed (several times in the uk and in the US) they have taken stuff out of the cupboards for me.

I would go through and pick up enough cups, plates and cutlery for one meal for your family, and a saucepan, microwave dish, stirrer, tin opener, large knife etc, with maybe washing up liquid and cleaners, tea towel, tea bags etc - and ask them to pack it seperatly and mark it specially so that once you arrive you can at least make a basic meal or cut up take away pizza- without having to unpack every sodding box to find a spoon or a knife. From experience they write very vague descriptions on the boxes, and also fill boxes with stuff from different cupboards together to even weight out or fill odd gaps etc. So you often have to unpack a lot of boxes to find the thing your looking for/useful stuff or before you can put stuff away in the new place - so a 'tide you over box' that can be quickly identified is very useful.

As was your post. Thanks!
Old Jul 13th 2009, 10:27 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

They went through our cupboards and drawers too. They were thorough.

If you have a bit of a time, pack one box, the Day 1 box with things you'll absolutely need on day 1, say a knife fork spoon and a can opener or if you have a baby some bottles or stuff like that. Items you just know you'll need on day 1 (as compared to placemats and cupcake tins and other stuff in the kitchen). Put the day 1 stuff in a box and mark it up with lots of colors so you find it the moment you unpack.