Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Quick Intro - We're on our Way to WA

Quick Intro - We're on our Way to WA

Old Jun 8th 2010, 8:22 pm
Forum Regular

naomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond reputenaomi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Quick Intro - We're on our Way to WA

Welcome to the PNW. I live just north of Seattle and love it. Good luck with your house-hunting.
Naomi.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Currently in Redmond, Washington, returning to Sydney 2013!!
SamG will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the support guys. Will definitely be asking more questions as the process wears on!
Old Jun 9th 2010, 12:36 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SamG View Post
Thank JAJ, will take a look - we took Aussie citizenship so there's no problem coming back to Sydney. It also helps us with our visas as we're eligible for an E3 visa to the US which I believe is a bit easier to get hold of than some others. I'm a bit of an information addict so I love this fact-gathering stage of the process!!
E3 is an option but usually if you are eligible for L1 (inter-company transfer) that would be a preferable option.

If your husband is at manager/executive level, then you should be aware that you would qualify for a green card under first preference (processing normally quite quick) and if you want to be permanent residents and US citizens, you should look at this option as soon as possible. Your US employer would have to sponsor and may not want to until x period of time has passed.

Bear in mind that if you do get green cards and want to become US citizens, the 5 year waiting time only starts when you get your green cards. Not before.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 1:05 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ View Post
E3 is an option but usually if you are eligible for L1 (inter-company transfer) that would be a preferable option.

If your husband is at manager/executive level, then you should be aware that you would qualify for a green card under first preference (processing normally quite quick) and if you want to be permanent residents and US citizens, you should look at this option as soon as possible. Your US employer would have to sponsor and may not want to until x period of time has passed.

Bear in mind that if you do get green cards and want to become US citizens, the 5 year waiting time only starts when you get your green cards. Not before.
Good to know, green card and citizenship would be on the cards if it works out so it might be worth looking into sooner than rather than later. Do you know if we'd have to give up our British/Australian citizenships to do this? It's definitely more of a decision if we do have do give up the passports we already have...
Old Jun 9th 2010, 1:09 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Good to know, green card and citizenship would be on the cards if it works out so it might be worth looking into sooner than rather than later. Do you know if we'd have to give up our British/Australian citizenships to do this? It's definitely more of a decision if we do have do give up the passports we already have...
Under current law, becoming a US citizen does not cause loss of British or Australian citizenship.

Your bargaining power re green card sponsorship is reduced after you have committed to the move.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ View Post
Under current law, becoming a US citizen does not cause loss of British or Australian citizenship.

Your bargaining power re green card sponsorship is reduced after you have committed to the move.
Brilliant, we haven't formally accepted the offer yet so I'll get my hubby to check if it's written in to the contract. Timely advice!! Now it feels a bit like I'm wandering the world collecting passports - quite funny ...
Old Jun 9th 2010, 1:33 am
JAJ
Retired

Brilliant, we haven't formally accepted the offer yet so I'll get my hubby to check if it's written in to the contract. Timely advice!! Now it feels a bit like I'm wandering the world collecting passports
Bear in mind that being a US citizen carries some obligations as well as rights. Also keep in mind that if they sponsor you for a green card, they may well want you to "go local" and have the same employment contract as an American. In that situation, you'd lose your "expat" benefits, such as home leave, repatriation, etc.

What you'll need to do is make up your mind quite early about whether you want your long term future to be in the USA. If yes, you need to switch to green card status as soon as possible. If no, then your planning needs to be based on a return to Australia.
Old Jun 9th 2010, 10:09 am
Forum Regular

AddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura about

Hi All,

Just wanted to introduce myself!! We made an international move 5 years ago by moving from Berkshire to Sydney - which we love. But my hubby has recently been given an opportunity to move to Microsoft in Redmond so off we go

We have 4 kids (aged 4 - 9) and a dog and expect to go for at least 3 years - at that point our eldest will be starting high school in Australian schools so it's our real decision time whether we stay in the PNW or move back to Sydney - we'll see. I don't know much about life in America but am excited by the prospect. I used these boards (well, the Aussie one) 5 years ago and got a lot out of them, so please bear with me as I'm sure I'll have lots of questions and I'm looking forward to helping out others where I can too.

We'll be off on our recce trip within the month and then it'll be all systems go - I hope!!
Hi, we too are about to move Seattle with 4 kids in tow.

I'm going to be working for a downtown high tech company, but even so we have been looking at the Sammamish/Issaquah areas. We've used that city-data forum extensively to narrow down our search areas.

I've never been to that area before and we probably won't visit before the move, so its all going to be a very big adventure!

Finding a long term rental and associated schools is now our top priority, but as we're not allowed in until 1 Oct, that still feels like a long time away.

Cheers
Addy
Old Jun 9th 2010, 2:00 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AddyLaddy View Post
Hi, we too are about to move Seattle with 4 kids in tow.

I'm going to be working for a downtown high tech company, but even so we have been looking at the Sammamish/Issaquah areas. We've used that city-data forum extensively to narrow down our search areas.

I've never been to that area before and we probably won't visit before the move, so its all going to be a very big adventure!

Finding a long term rental and associated schools is now our top priority, but as we're not allowed in until 1 Oct, that still feels like a long time away.

Cheers
Addy
Well I am sure you will enjoy the PNW!!

I am concerned that there won't be any room left in the Sammamish/Issaquah area if everyone moves there Issaquah old town is LOVELY!!!
Old Jun 9th 2010, 3:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of light

Off to Issaquah/Sammamish this morning to look at housing and visit some schools.
Had a great day in Bellvue yesterday although we didn't really go much beyond the shopping center
One thing that's struck me is how clean everywhere is, no litter, no chewing gum, pop bottles or cans strewn everywhere.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 2:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Burn1911 View Post
Well I am sure you will enjoy the PNW!!

I am concerned that there won't be any room left in the Sammamish/Issaquah area if everyone moves there
The only ones that can afford it are the company transfers....
Old Jun 10th 2010, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

AddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura aboutAddyLaddy has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by AmerLisa View Post
The only ones that can afford it are the company transfers....
Indeed, I am having to pay all fees myself upfront and then claim them back once I become an employee. Spent $900 at the US London Embassy already today!
Two months rental deposit in Issaquah will be pretty painful too
Old Jun 10th 2010, 2:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AddyLaddy View Post
Two months rental deposit in Issaquah will be pretty painful too
Oh yes...