British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Quick Intro - We're on our Way to WA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/quick-intro-were-our-way-wa-671362/)

SamG Jun 7th 2010 6:27 am

Quick Intro - We're on our Way to WA

Hi All,

Just wanted to introduce myself!! We made an international move 5 years ago by moving from Berkshire to Sydney - which we love. But my hubby has recently been given an opportunity to move to Microsoft in Redmond so off we go :)

We have 4 kids (aged 4 - 9) and a dog and expect to go for at least 3 years - at that point our eldest will be starting high school in Australian schools so it's our real decision time whether we stay in the PNW or move back to Sydney - we'll see. I don't know much about life in America but am excited by the prospect. I used these boards (well, the Aussie one) 5 years ago and got a lot out of them, so please bear with me as I'm sure I'll have lots of questions and I'm looking forward to helping out others where I can too.

We'll be off on our recce trip within the month and then it'll be all systems go - I hope!! :thumbsup:

tokolosheman Jun 7th 2010 3:56 pm

Re: Quick Intro - We're on our Way to WA

been living in kirkland now for 2.5 years, the PNW is a great place to live.

If you need any pointers let me know.

Bob Jun 7th 2010 4:56 pm

Well welcome to the US side of the forums :)

There's a few folks in that neck of the woods, and probably a few threads you could search out to get you started.

Also city-data.com is another place to start.

Hubcaps Jun 8th 2010 12:50 am

Hey Sam, have PMd you. Am in Redmond right now on the 1st full day of our househunting trip. We got our visa application approved last week and have just filled in all the online stuff for the US embassy.

Today we just pottered about while my husband went in to the office to say hello but we've got Bellvue planned for tomorrow then we have Sammamish/Issaquah on Weds plus we have to do all the social security stuff at some point too.

Weather has picked up (allegedly it's going to be quite nice tomorrow) which is a blessing :D

tokolosheman Jun 8th 2010 1:41 am

Originally Posted by Hubcaps (Post 8618307)
Hey Sam, have PMd you. Am in Redmond right now on the 1st full day of our househunting trip. We got our visa application approved last week and have just filled in all the online stuff for the US embassy.

Today we just pottered about while my husband went in to the office to say hello but we've got Bellvue planned for tomorrow then we have Sammamish/Issaquah on Weds plus we have to do all the social security stuff at some point too.

Weather has picked up (allegedly it's going to be quite nice tomorrow) which is a blessing :D

wait till july/august!

Sue Jun 8th 2010 1:42 am

Hi SamG,

Congrats on the job offer.

MsElui Jun 8th 2010 2:08 am

Originally Posted by Hubcaps (Post 8618307)

unless you entered the US on the visa (ie NOT VWP) you wont be able to do the ssn stuff yet - as you wont be on the system.

MsElui Jun 8th 2010 2:13 am

Originally Posted by SamG (Post 8616148)
Hi All,

Just wanted to introduce myself!! We made an international move 5 years ago by moving from Berkshire to Sydney - which we love. But my hubby has recently been given an opportunity to move to Microsoft in Redmond so off we go :)

We have 4 kids (aged 4 - 9) and a dog and expect to go for at least 3 years - at that point our eldest will be starting high school in Australian schools so it's our real decision time whether we stay in the PNW or move back to Sydney - we'll see. I don't know much about life in America but am excited by the prospect. I used these boards (well, the Aussie one) 5 years ago and got a lot out of them, so please bear with me as I'm sure I'll have lots of questions and I'm looking forward to helping out others where I can too.

We'll be off on our recce trip within the month and then it'll be all systems go - I hope!! :thumbsup:

Weasy is a forum user on here who also went to Oz before coming over to the US so she may have some tips for you!

AlexCo Jun 8th 2010 2:26 am

SamG,

Welcome to Redmond. Or Kirkland. Or Bellevue. Or wherever your family decides to land in the beautiful North West. I’m sure you will be pleased (if not hugely impressed) with your relocation experience which Microsoft provides. I was told that this is something they still do exceptionally well.

JAJ Jun 8th 2010 2:53 am

Congratulations on the job offer ... BUT, have you got your Australian citizenship or will you need resident return visas?

This guide isn't US specific but should give you an idea of what to expect from a relocation package:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Corpor...tion-Australia

nettlebed Jun 8th 2010 3:08 am

I've been living in the center of Redmond now for 8 years. Please feel free to send any questions in my direction.

penguinsix Jun 8th 2010 4:43 am

Second the vote for City Data. Good forum with local knowledge (about nearly any city)

http://www.city-data.com/forum/seattle-area/

Dudette Jun 8th 2010 12:14 pm

I spent a year in Bellevue back when I was 18 and I loved it, I love the PNW and would love to take my husband there one day.

Good Luck and I hope you have a wonderful time there :)

SamG Jun 8th 2010 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by JAJ (Post 8618471)
Congratulations on the job offer ... BUT, have you got your Australian citizenship or will you need resident return visas?

This guide isn't US specific but should give you an idea of what to expect from a relocation package:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Corpor...tion-Australia

Thank JAJ, will take a look - we took Aussie citizenship so there's no problem coming back to Sydney. It also helps us with our visas as we're eligible for an E3 visa to the US which I believe is a bit easier to get hold of than some others. I'm a bit of an information addict so I love this fact-gathering stage of the process!!

Burn1911 Jun 8th 2010 5:04 pm

Hi - welcome "nearly" to the PNW.

Me and Hubby live in Maple Valley, which is a little more out in the boonies, in the foothills of the cascade mountains. We love living here, and you will find a few threads on here showing why :)

Always willing to answer any questions :thumbsup: Good Luck!