Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Quick Intro - We're on our Way to WA

Quick Intro - We're on our Way to WA

Old Jun 7th 2010, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

Location: Currently in Redmond, Washington, returning to Sydney 2013!!
SamG will become famous soon enough
Smile Quick Intro - We're on our Way to WA

Hi All,

Just wanted to introduce myself!! We made an international move 5 years ago by moving from Berkshire to Sydney - which we love. But my hubby has recently been given an opportunity to move to Microsoft in Redmond so off we go

We have 4 kids (aged 4 - 9) and a dog and expect to go for at least 3 years - at that point our eldest will be starting high school in Australian schools so it's our real decision time whether we stay in the PNW or move back to Sydney - we'll see. I don't know much about life in America but am excited by the prospect. I used these boards (well, the Aussie one) 5 years ago and got a lot out of them, so please bear with me as I'm sure I'll have lots of questions and I'm looking forward to helping out others where I can too.

We'll be off on our recce trip within the month and then it'll be all systems go - I hope!!
Old Jun 7th 2010, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

tokolosheman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Quick Intro - We're on our Way to WA

been living in kirkland now for 2.5 years, the PNW is a great place to live.

If you need any pointers let me know.
Old Jun 7th 2010, 4:56 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Well welcome to the US side of the forums

There's a few folks in that neck of the woods, and probably a few threads you could search out to get you started.

Also city-data.com is another place to start.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 12:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Hubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of lightHubcaps is a glorious beacon of light

Hey Sam, have PMd you. Am in Redmond right now on the 1st full day of our househunting trip. We got our visa application approved last week and have just filled in all the online stuff for the US embassy.

Today we just pottered about while my husband went in to the office to say hello but we've got Bellvue planned for tomorrow then we have Sammamish/Issaquah on Weds plus we have to do all the social security stuff at some point too.

Weather has picked up (allegedly it's going to be quite nice tomorrow) which is a blessing
Old Jun 8th 2010, 1:41 am
Just Joined

tokolosheman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Hubcaps
Hey Sam, have PMd you. Am in Redmond right now on the 1st full day of our househunting trip. We got our visa application approved last week and have just filled in all the online stuff for the US embassy.

Today we just pottered about while my husband went in to the office to say hello but we've got Bellvue planned for tomorrow then we have Sammamish/Issaquah on Weds plus we have to do all the social security stuff at some point too.

Weather has picked up (allegedly it's going to be quite nice tomorrow) which is a blessing
wait till july/august!
Old Jun 8th 2010, 1:42 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Hi SamG,

Congrats on the job offer.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 2:08 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hubcaps

unless you entered the US on the visa (ie NOT VWP) you wont be able to do the ssn stuff yet - as you wont be on the system.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 2:13 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SamG
Hi All,

Just wanted to introduce myself!! We made an international move 5 years ago by moving from Berkshire to Sydney - which we love. But my hubby has recently been given an opportunity to move to Microsoft in Redmond so off we go

We have 4 kids (aged 4 - 9) and a dog and expect to go for at least 3 years - at that point our eldest will be starting high school in Australian schools so it's our real decision time whether we stay in the PNW or move back to Sydney - we'll see. I don't know much about life in America but am excited by the prospect. I used these boards (well, the Aussie one) 5 years ago and got a lot out of them, so please bear with me as I'm sure I'll have lots of questions and I'm looking forward to helping out others where I can too.

We'll be off on our recce trip within the month and then it'll be all systems go - I hope!!
Weasy is a forum user on here who also went to Oz before coming over to the US so she may have some tips for you!
Old Jun 8th 2010, 2:26 am
Just Joined

AlexCo is an unknown quantity at this point

SamG,

Welcome to Redmond. Or Kirkland. Or Bellevue. Or wherever your family decides to land in the beautiful North West. I’m sure you will be pleased (if not hugely impressed) with your relocation experience which Microsoft provides. I was told that this is something they still do exceptionally well.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 2:53 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations on the job offer ... BUT, have you got your Australian citizenship or will you need resident return visas?

This guide isn't US specific but should give you an idea of what to expect from a relocation package:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Corpor...tion-Australia
Old Jun 8th 2010, 3:08 am
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

I've been living in the center of Redmond now for 8 years. Please feel free to send any questions in my direction.
Old Jun 8th 2010, 4:43 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Second the vote for City Data. Good forum with local knowledge (about nearly any city)

http://www.city-data.com/forum/seattle-area/
Old Jun 8th 2010, 12:14 pm
Dragon with a Wagon

Dudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant futureDudette has a brilliant future

I spent a year in Bellevue back when I was 18 and I loved it, I love the PNW and would love to take my husband there one day.

Good Luck and I hope you have a wonderful time there
Old Jun 8th 2010, 12:24 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Currently in Redmond, Washington, returning to Sydney 2013!!
SamG will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by JAJ
Congratulations on the job offer ... BUT, have you got your Australian citizenship or will you need resident return visas?

This guide isn't US specific but should give you an idea of what to expect from a relocation package:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Corpor...tion-Australia
Thank JAJ, will take a look - we took Aussie citizenship so there's no problem coming back to Sydney. It also helps us with our visas as we're eligible for an E3 visa to the US which I believe is a bit easier to get hold of than some others. I'm a bit of an information addict so I love this fact-gathering stage of the process!!
Old Jun 8th 2010, 5:04 pm
Catahoula Lover!!!

Burn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond reputeBurn1911 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi - welcome "nearly" to the PNW.

Me and Hubby live in Maple Valley, which is a little more out in the boonies, in the foothills of the cascade mountains. We love living here, and you will find a few threads on here showing why

Always willing to answer any questions Good Luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.