Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Question's regarding a new life in the U.S.

Question's regarding a new life in the U.S.

Old Jul 17th 2008, 10:08 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Question's regarding a new life in the U.S.

Originally Posted by thinkinofit
Not sure wot u mean by suitable path.. but we are basically thinking of getting out of this country for a better life for us and a better head start for our 3yr old daughter somewhere else and U.S. is one option for us. So at the moment we are feeling the water temp. with our toes if you like :-)
If we do decide to make a life changing move then it wont be for at least another year yet.
Cheers
The problem is that it's very difficult to move to the US unless you fit in one of the few niches US immigration law provides. So it really matters not a damn whether you'd rather live in LA or NYC, or whether the medical care is good or bad, or where has an outlet of chocolate Hobnobs -- if you're not coming anyway.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 10:09 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pejpm1
why do you care?
What a stupid question!
Old Jul 17th 2008, 10:11 pm
thinkinofit

Originally Posted by Manc
You don't decide to move to the USA.

The USA decides to let you move.
Of course

Old Jul 17th 2008, 10:17 pm
Septicity

Of course
Either the answer is no -- you don't have a route, in which case we've been wasting our time answering your questions, or you're suddenly going to reveal that one (or both) of you is a US citizen or some such. Either way, you really don't come out of it well.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 10:32 pm
thinkinofit

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Either the answer is no -- you don't have a route, in which case we've been wasting our time answering your questions, or you're suddenly going to reveal that one (or both) of you is a US citizen or some such. Either way, you really don't come out of it well.
U dont have to reply to my question so why dont u leave ur computer and go and get some fresh air which sounds like wot u need rather than whinning rants that doesnt help anyone.. but no doubt u will STILL reply with a completely USELESS comment haha.. u find 1 where ever u go

Old Jul 17th 2008, 10:33 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

U dont have to reply to my question so why dont u leave ur computer and go and get some fresh air which sounds like wot u need rather than whinning rants that doesnt help anyone.. but no doubt u will STILL reply with a completely USELESS comment haha.. u find 1 where ever u go
you're not moving to america so just bugger off.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 10:51 pm
Septicity

So I'll take it you have not a hope of hell in coming to the US. The Oz forum is at the top of the page. Enjoy!
Old Jul 17th 2008, 10:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

coopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond repute

I'm only going to respond to the question about healthcare and insurance. I'll leave the visa comments to my learned friends

Even if you have a job which provides a decent health insurance plan, should you become ill or have an accident which puts you off work for any length of time, you're still buggered because no work generally means no pay. Best case scenario is your insurance will cover (most) of your medical costs (if it's a decent plan) but then you have no paycheck to live off.

There's a well-known saying here......"you're always only one accident/major illness from bankruptcy"
Old Jul 17th 2008, 11:00 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by coopa_troopa
I'm only going to respond to the question about healthcare and insurance. I'll leave the visa comments to my learned friends

Even if you have a job which provides a decent health insurance plan, should you become ill or have an accident which puts you off work for any length of time, you're still buggered because no work generally means no pay. Best case scenario is your insurance will cover (most) of your medical costs (if it's a decent plan) but then you have no paycheck to live off.

There's a well-known saying here......"you're always only one accident/major illness from bankruptcy"
and if you're off work long enough you lose your job and your insurance cover.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

coopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Oh yes, forgot to mention that

Bet Thyd will be along to put his tuppence in......his favourite subject (not)
Old Jul 17th 2008, 11:08 pm
thinkinofit

Originally Posted by Manc
you're not moving to america so just bugger off.
Is this wot they call 'forum rage'? and tag teams too lol. If u even BOTHERED to read my original Q. u'd have noticed that i 'stated'... " we are thinking of moving to the U.S." and therefor the question required people (if they wished) to answer it.. iv had a lot of decent people answer my Q. giving good and positive advice which was the whole point of my Q. in the 1st place and the whole point of this site i thought??? so if u or other people are not wishing to add anything positive.. PLEASE KEEP UR UNECCESARY AND IDIOTIC COMMENTS FOR YOUR OWN PLEASURES AS PEOPLE WHO COME HERE TO SEEK ADVICE FROM NORMAL AND DECENT PEOPLE DONT NEED TO READ UR RUBBISH!!!

Old Jul 17th 2008, 11:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yes, forgot to mention that

Bet Thyd will be along to put his tuppence in......his favourite subject (not)
On the up side...if you're here on a visa and lose your job you'll probably have to leave the US anyway.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 11:10 pm
thinkinofit

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
thank you for ur help on this matter

Old Jul 17th 2008, 11:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Is this wot they call 'forum rage'? and tag teams too lol. If u even BOTHERED to read my original Q. u'd have noticed that i 'stated'... " we are thinking of moving to the U.S." and therefor the question required people (if they wished) to answer it.. iv had a lot of decent people answer my Q. giving good and positive advice which was the whole point of my Q. in the 1st place and the whole point of this site i thought??? so if u or other people are not wishing to add anything positive.. PLEASE KEEP UR UNECCESARY AND IDIOTIC COMMENTS FOR YOUR OWN PLEASURES AS PEOPLE WHO COME HERE TO SEEK ADVICE FROM NORMAL AND DECENT PEOPLE DONT NEED TO READ UR RUBBISH!!!
Please understand we have the same question asked several times a day...every day...every week...every month. People like yourself want to move to the US...in reality most don't stand a chance. That's why we always ask what visa you will be using or are you or your spouse USC's.
Old Jul 17th 2008, 11:11 pm
thinkinofit

thank you for ur advice, much appreciated

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.