Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Questions Regarding Immigration

Questions Regarding Immigration

Old Oct 30th 2005, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

High Priestess is a name known to allHigh Priestess is a name known to allHigh Priestess is a name known to allHigh Priestess is a name known to allHigh Priestess is a name known to allHigh Priestess is a name known to allHigh Priestess is a name known to allHigh Priestess is a name known to allHigh Priestess is a name known to allHigh Priestess is a name known to allHigh Priestess is a name known to all
Default Questions Regarding Immigration

Hello all,

If this has already been discussed I do apologise. As a new member and also with three websites to run I don't have a great deal of time to sift through previous posts very often!

One of my site managers is a Brit based out in CT. A recent discussion on-site seemed to indicate that marriage to a US citizen would not necessarily entitle the new spouse residency in the States.

Ironically, another manager of the same website is a lady from Louisianna who is hoping to come here to live with another of my managers who is British. She intends to get a work visa in order that she can assist in the running of his shop.

Although I am currently a Bridget singleton with many American friends, I have no immediate intention to get hitched to a chap from another country! But what if I were to engage in a long-distance relationship with say a citizen of America or Canada, for example? What are the rules on these kinds of partnerings where marriage is concerned?

I hope I have posted this in the right place! Thanks in advance for any insight. It would sure be handy to kow the ins and outs because many of my female acquiantances are engaged in long-distance relationships and it would be beneficial if I knew the score should they ever broach this very subject with me.

Regards,

Lo

Last edited by High Priestess; Oct 30th 2005 at 12:43 pm.
Old Oct 30th 2005, 12:26 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions Regarding Immigration

Originally Posted by High Priestess
One of my site managers is a Brit based out in CT. A recent discussion on-site seemed to indicate that marriage to a US citizen would not necessarily entitle the new spouse residency in the States.
Marriage to a US citizen would entitle you if already in the US to adjust status to a permanent resident (green card)..and eventually Citizenship

If you are out of the US .. you would apply for a fiancee visa (K-1)
which is the most commonly used ..
Old Oct 30th 2005, 12:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
.... If you are out of the US .. you would apply for a fiancee visa (K-1) which is the most commonly used ..
..... Or a marriage visa directly, if you get married first. Though I think that means that (for all practical purposes) you need to apply for your visa from the UK (i.e. return to the UK if you married in the US*) as USCIC (formerly the INS) makes things difficult if you come to the US, get married and stay in the US to get a marriage visa.

* Yes, you can do this, it is what I did, and it caused be no problems what so ever.
Old Oct 30th 2005, 12:41 pm
Forum Regular

High Priestess is a name known to allHigh Priestess is a name known to allHigh Priestess is a name known to allHigh Priestess is a name known to allHigh Priestess is a name known to allHigh Priestess is a name known to allHigh Priestess is a name known to allHigh Priestess is a name known to allHigh Priestess is a name known to allHigh Priestess is a name known to allHigh Priestess is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Pulaski
..... Or a marriage visa directly, if you get married first. Though I think that means that (for all practical purposes) you need to apply for your visa from the UK (i.e. return to the UK if you married in the US*) as USCIC (formerly the INS) makes things difficult if you come to the US, get married and stay in the US to get a marriage visa.

* Yes, you can do this, it is what I did, and it caused be no problems what so ever.
Thak you, both of you for your kind responses.

Incidentally, Pulaski, might I be so bold as to enquire as to what corps you were in? My father is a Maj (retd) of the REME.

Regards,

Lo
Old Oct 30th 2005, 4:33 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by High Priestess
Hello all,

If this has already been discussed I do apologise. As a new member and also with three websites to run I don't have a great deal of time to sift through previous posts very often!

Ironically, another manager of the same website is a lady from Louisianna who is hoping to come here to live with another of my managers who is British. She intends to get a work visa in order that she can assist in the running of his shop.

Although I am currently a Bridget singleton with many American friends, I have no immediate intention to get hitched to a chap from another country! But what if I were to engage in a long-distance relationship with say a citizen of America or Canada, for example? What are the rules on these kinds of partnerings where marriage is concerned?

I hope I have posted this in the right place! Thanks in advance for any insight. It would sure be handy to kow the ins and outs because many of my female acquiantances are engaged in long-distance relationships and it would be beneficial if I knew the score should they ever broach this very subject with me.

Regards,

Lo
So you'd like a primer on US immigration, but you're too busy to look it up for yourself. I mean your acquaintences.

Marriage in and of itself does not confer any immigration benefit to a non-US citizen. It does open the door for an immigration benefit, which involves time, money and some knowledge.

The basic breakdown of US immigration choices based on a love relationship with a USC are here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?pg=compare

Canada is still a separate country, and has its own immigration laws.

For a US citizen to immigrate to the UK, look at the rules on the UK immigration website. Presuming of course that your future coupling might have you and your foreign future BF living in the UK.

It would probably be better to refer your female acquaintences to one of the marriage-based visa discussion groups for their questions, rather than try and learn the details yourself. Keep in mind that each case has its own set of circumstances and is unique from other immigration cases.
Old Oct 30th 2005, 4:39 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
So you'd like a primer on US immigration, but you're too busy to look it up for yourself. I mean your acquaintences.

Marriage in and of itself does not confer any immigration benefit to a non-US citizen. It does open the door for an immigration benefit, which involves time, money and some knowledge.

The basic breakdown of US immigration choices based on a love relationship with a USC are here: http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?pg=compare

For a US citizen to immigrate to the UK, look at the rules on the UK immigration website. Presuming of course that your future coupling might have you and your foreign future BF living in the UK.

It would probably be better to refer your female acquaintences to one of the marriage-based visa discussion groups for their questions, rather than try and learn the details yourself. Keep in mind that each case has its own set of circumstances and is unique from other immigration cases.
That's more like it! This thread was starting to look distinctly over-friendly, and that's no ****ing good for BE's reputation!
Old Oct 31st 2005, 9:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by meauxna

You seem to imply that this is a case of 'hey doc, my 'friend' has genital warts and I am here on her behalf' lol.

I can catagorically state that I have no boyfriend from other shores! I was brought up in a military family and was married to a soldier for 8 years so have pretty much dunroamin over the years.

I can see the appeal for some of thinking that the grass is greener overseas but I shall probably live out my days here in Blighty but take trips to those countries I haven't yet visited.

I am flying out to Poland tomorrow to visit Auschwitz Birkenau so if I don't reply to any further comments on this thread I will do so upon my return at the weekend.

I did try some links when this discussion was ongoing on another forum but some seemed to be a little vague or outdated in their content. So thank you for the information. Immigration is not something I have had to consider and I was wondering if some of my pals were in for a shock if they think their relocations is going to be straightforward.

Thanks again,

Lo
Old Oct 31st 2005, 1:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Depends on what you mean straightforward.

Yes you can diy, but the big issues with the US system is time. It all takes a long time.