British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Questions on C2 form for US-born baby applying for UK passport... (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/questions-c2-form-us-born-baby-applying-uk-passport-803014/)

butterfly1978cn Jul 16th 2013 3:41 am

Questions on C2 form for US-born baby applying for UK passport...

We are applying for UK passport for our 4 month old daughter. She is US born and has US birth certificate and US passport. We have also applied for her UK consular birth registration certificate (my husband is British) and just obtained the birth registration certificate last month. Now we are in the process of applying for her first UK passport. As I am filling in the C2 form, I found there are a few places I am not quite clear about. Hopefully someone here can help to clarify.

1. 1b."Was the applicant registered as a British citizen,British Dependent/Overseas Territories citizen,British Overseas citizen, British subject or Britishprotected person?. Should I tick "YES" here? If so, for "Certificate#", "Reference#", and "Section"...what should I fill in? There is only a two digits number as Entry No. on the Birth Registration Certificate.

2. 3a &3b...ask about applicant's marriage status and was the applicant's husband born outside of UK...urrrr...surely this doesn't apply to a 4-month old. But on the Guidance Notes it says "Note 1:Section 3 should be filled in if the child became a British citizen, citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies, British Dependent Territories citizen, British protected person or British subject by registration." What should I do with this section?

3. Section 4 & 5...4 asks about previous passports. "Has the child had any sort of passport or travel document before or been included in one?"...Well, our daughter has US passport, should I just enclose a copy of the photo page and explain in Section 5 that it is not attached because she will need it for traveling to Germany next month. I really don't want to send in her original passport and not get it back on time, not to mention that it can get lost.

For supporting documents, following the Notes instruction, we are planning to send her:

- two passport photos
- her consular registration certificate
- Copy of our passports
- Filled and signed Credit Card Form

Are those sufficient? We are traveling next month and won't be back soon so really don't want to get call or mail from UK embassy asking for more documents. So we would like to be more proactive...is there any document that we should send which is not mentioned on the Guidance Notes?

I know it takes about 6-8 weeks. So my husband and I also consider applying for it while we go to UK for holiday. However, we will most probably have difficulty finding someone to countersign the form. My husband has left UK for 15 years and has long lost his contact with any friends. Parents and relatives are still there but relatives can't countersign. Guess we should just go ahead applying in the US.

Your help on the above would be appreciated!!:)

sir_eccles Jul 16th 2013 4:22 am

Re: Questions on C2 form for US-born baby applying for UK passport...

Her US Passport is sufficient. Let her wait until she is 16 before getting a UK one. Her citizenship is sufficiently documented by her consular registration.

butterfly1978cn Jul 16th 2013 4:31 am

The reason that we are getting her a UK passport now is because we are relocating to Germany soon for 18 months and with a UK passport she won't need to apply for Germany residence permit after entering Germany (German consulate told us so).

Pulaski Jul 16th 2013 3:36 pm

Originally Posted by butterfly1978cn (Post 10802036)
...... My husband has left UK for 15 years and has long lost his contact with any friends. Parents and relatives are still there but relatives can't countersign. Guess we should just go ahead applying in the US.

Relatives CAN countersign a passport application, the Passport Office advice is just not "close" relatives, but does not define "close". :rolleyes:

If there is anyone on your husband's mother's side of his family (i.e. with a different last name), that should be OK and likely would not ring any alarm bells. :)

butterfly1978cn Jul 16th 2013 8:23 pm

Originally Posted by Pulaski (Post 10803102)
Relatives CAN countersign a passport application, the Passport Office advice is just not "close" relatives, but does not define "close". :rolleyes:

If there is anyone on your husband's mother's side of his family (i.e. with a different last name), that should be OK and likely would not ring any alarm bells. :)

So can we have my husband's brother-in-law to sign?

Pulaski Jul 16th 2013 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by butterfly1978cn (Post 10803619)
So can we have my husband's brother-in-law to sign?

Honestly I have no idea, given the lack of explanation on the PO web site, but IMHO, he doesn't sound like an especially close relative to me. ;)

BritInParis Jul 22nd 2013 10:30 pm

Originally Posted by butterfly1978cn (Post 10802036)
We are applying for UK passport for our 4 month old daughter. She is US born and has US birth certificate and US passport. We have also applied for her UK consular birth registration certificate (my husband is British) and just obtained the birth registration certificate last month. Now we are in the process of applying for her first UK passport. As I am filling in the C2 form, I found there are a few places I am not quite clear about. Hopefully someone here can help to clarify.

1. 1b."Was the applicant registered as a British citizen,British Dependent/Overseas Territories citizen,British Overseas citizen, British subject or Britishprotected person?. Should I tick "YES" here? If so, for "Certificate#", "Reference#", and "Section"...what should I fill in? There is only a two digits number as Entry No. on the Birth Registration Certificate.

Answer 'No'. It's a confusing question, but consular birth registration and registration as a British citizen are two different processes. Your daughter would have not been able to be consular birth registered if she had to be registered as a British citizen. In Question 1 however you should complete the section where it asks about consular birth registration.

2. 3a &3b...ask about applicant's marriage status and was the applicant's husband born outside of UK...urrrr...surely this doesn't apply to a 4-month old. But on the Guidance Notes it says "Note 1:Section 3 should be filled in if the child became a British citizen, citizen of the United Kingdom and Colonies, British Dependent Territories citizen, British protected person or British subject by registration." What should I do with this section?
This question only appears on Form C1. Make sure you are completing Form C2.

3. Section 4 & 5...4 asks about previous passports. "Has the child had any sort of passport or travel document before or been included in one?"...Well, our daughter has US passport, should I just enclose a copy of the photo page and explain in Section 5 that it is not attached because she will need it for traveling to Germany next month. I really don't want to send in her original passport and not get it back on time, not to mention that it can get lost.
For this, Section 3 on Form C2, answer 'Yes' and then 'No' and include a photocopy of her US passport with the application. The original is not required as it's a foreign passport.

For supporting documents, following the Notes instruction, we are planning to send her:

- two passport photos
- her consular registration certificate
- Copy of our passports
- Filled and signed Credit Card Form

Are those sufficient? We are traveling next month and won't be back soon so really don't want to get call or mail from UK embassy asking for more documents. So we would like to be more proactive...is there any document that we should send which is not mentioned on the Guidance Notes?
That is all you need.

I know it takes about 6-8 weeks. So my husband and I also consider applying for it while we go to UK for holiday. However, we will most probably have difficulty finding someone to countersign the form. My husband has left UK for 15 years and has long lost his contact with any friends. Parents and relatives are still there but relatives can't countersign. Guess we should just go ahead applying in the US.

Get someone you know in the US to sign. They do not need to a British citizen. Your family doctor is an ideal candidate for example.

Lbjen Jul 23rd 2013 1:00 am

I've had my US boss sign before. It doesn't have to be anyone British, any US professional can do it.

butterfly1978cn Jul 23rd 2013 2:35 am

Originally Posted by BritInParis (Post 10813784)
Answer 'No'. It's a confusing question, but consular birth registration and registration as a British citizen are two different processes. Your daughter would have not been able to be consular birth registered if she had to be registered as a British citizen. In Question 1 however you should complete the section where it asks about consular birth registration.

This question only appears on Form C1. Make sure you are completing Form C2.

For this, Section 3 on Form C2, answer 'Yes' and then 'No' and include a photocopy of her US passport with the application. The original is not required as it's a foreign passport.

That is all you need.

Get someone you know in the US to sign. They do not need to a British citizen. Your family doctor is an ideal candidate for example.

This is so helpful! Thank you SO MUCH!!

butterfly1978cn Jul 23rd 2013 2:38 am

Thank you guys, for all your replies.