Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Questions about receiving UK private pensions in the US

Questions about receiving UK private pensions in the US

Old Jul 19th 2018, 3:34 pm
Just Joined

shexla is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Questions about receiving UK private pensions in the US

I am moving back to the USA. I have private UK pensions. Do I pay UK or US or both US and UK tax on these pensions.

I am moving back to the USA. Is it better to have the UK DWP send my state pension to my US bank or to my UK bank? What I am wondering is whether the UK DWP gets a better exchange rate than I would get myself. When living in the UK, I had the USA Social Security sent to my UK bank because they got a better exchange rate than I could get since they exchange large amounts of pension money.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jul 19th 2018 at 4:11 pm.
Old Jul 19th 2018, 4:15 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions about receiving UK private pensions in the US

Hi, welcome to BE. I've merged your threads as they are on the same subject, and also moved them to the main US forums - the Trailer Park is only for off topic stuff really.

I'm sure you'll get some good advice from the forum pros.

HTH.
Old Jul 19th 2018, 4:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shexla
I am moving back to the USA. I have private UK pensions. Do I pay UK or US or both US and UK tax on these pensions.

I am moving back to the USA. Is it better to have the UK DWP send my state pension to my US bank or to my UK bank? What I am wondering is whether the UK DWP gets a better exchange rate than I would get myself. When living in the UK, I had the USA Social Security sent to my UK bank because they got a better exchange rate than I could get since they exchange large amounts of pension money.
Once you are no longer resident in the UK you will report and pay only US taxes on your UK pensions. (As you are "moving back" I am assuming that you are a US citizen so you should have been reporting those UK pensions on your US tax returns anyway).

I don't personally know for certain if DWP paying your pension directly to your US bank is the best method but almost certainly it is.
Old Jul 19th 2018, 7:47 pm
Wondering if...

celticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond reputecelticgrid has a reputation beyond repute

In respect of where to have it paid, a lot depends on whether you need it at time of payment or not. I have a small pension paid into a UK account and am lucky not to need it on a weekly basis, so it sits there until I feel the exchange rate is reasonable, then it gets transferred. If you need it as it is paid, I would suggest getting it paid in the US is better.
Old Jul 19th 2018, 8:06 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by celticgrid
In respect of where to have it paid, a lot depends on whether you need it at time of payment or not. I have a small pension paid into a UK account and am lucky not to need it on a weekly basis, so it sits there until I feel the exchange rate is reasonable, then it gets transferred. If you need it as it is paid, I would suggest getting it paid in the US is better.
Sums it up in a nutshell.
Old Jul 22nd 2018, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

shexla is an unknown quantity at this point

many thanks for your help.