Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Questions about Moving Back to the US

Questions about Moving Back to the US

Old Sep 27th 2019, 11:35 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions about Moving Back to the US

Originally Posted by scb12345
He currently runs his own business, they install security systems (Intruder alarms, CCTV, Fire Alarms etc). He would be looking for jobs in the area of security consulting/management.
Hopefully that with a family of 7 you have budgeted a few thousand dollars a month for health insurance premiums?
Old Sep 28th 2019, 1:29 am
Forum Regular

Winston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Hopefully that with a family of 7 you have budgeted a few thousand dollars a month for health insurance premiums?
Something to be mindful of is the size of company your husband will find work in and the subsequent quality of healthcare insurance i.e. how much the company will contribute to the policy, your premium contribution and the deductible (excess) you would have to pay. The type of industry you describe are often smaller independent outfits IMO.

I have good health insurance as I work for a big company. I pay $175 every 2 weeks for my family of four. This gets me a $3k deductible, $5k max out of pocket for an individual and an $11k max out of pocket for the family.

My BIL &SIL both work for small companies and their healthcare does not come close. Pretty sure they have a $7k deductible. Ultimately, their company doesn't have the bargaining power and quantity of employees to spread the risk across the policy and they subsequently end up with mediocre insurance.

With a family of 7, I would be targeting larger employers and make sure you understand the health benefits before starting.

C

Old Sep 28th 2019, 4:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

Has he looked into whether his training/education /experience will transfer over here successfully? Also have you looked into the salaries that position makes. I should imagine Pennsylvania is quite an expensive state to live in.