Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Questions about Moving Back to the US

Questions about Moving Back to the US

Old Sep 24th 2019, 7:57 pm
Just Joined

scb12345 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Questions about Moving Back to the US

Hi everyone! Thanks in advance for any advice. I am a US citizen that has lived in the UK since I was 18, married a Brit and we have 5 children born here, all have dual citizenship and both passports. I have a couple questions as we are preparing to move to the US to live near my family (we lived near his parents for many years but both have passed away now and we would like our children to be around their grandparents on my side). Firstly, I read on another thread something about potential Capital Gains Tax might be owed when selling your house in the UK. We have our house on the market and do not own any other property, will we be liable for any tax when we sell our house assuming we have not already bought a house in the US? I have plenty of my lifetime of allowance on personal residence left for US tax purposes, though this current house we purchased in Feb 2018 so we have 4 months until we have owned it for two years. Potentially we could push back completion to after the 2 year anniversary to meet that if necessary, especially as we have not accepted an offer yet and house sales take forever to complete here! Additional info, my husband is just about to get his green card through me with my parents as his sponsor, so none of that is a problem, we just have to decide when we want to go.

Another question I have is in regards to health insurance. My husband will probably apply to a few jobs and take interviews to get us a start when we first move, (at the moment he runs the family business he took over from his father which he plans to sell the contracts for as it is local and service based, not something he can take with us). With regard to healthcare, would it make sense to get him some sort of temporary health care and set myself and the children with something through the government when we first arrive in the US assuming he doesn't yet have a job? As he will be on a green card but we all have citizenship it seems logical that we would qualify for some things that he won't? I know very little about navigating the healthcare system as I left the US aged 18 and never dealt with any of it. Again, thanks in advance for any advice/suggestions.
Old Sep 24th 2019, 8:05 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Questions about Moving Back to the US

Hi and welcome to BE. Just a couple of clarifications...your husband is getting an immigrant visa (not a green card). When he uses that visa to enter the USA, the visa gets endorsed and then serves as a green card until the plastic card comes in the mail. Also, your parent is a joint sponsor. You are his sponsor even if you don't qualify financially. You will submit an I-864 as well as your parent.

Rene
Old Sep 24th 2019, 8:28 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
Hi and welcome to BE. Just a couple of clarifications...your husband is getting an immigrant visa (not a green card). When he uses that visa to enter the USA, the visa gets endorsed and then serves as a green card until the plastic card comes in the mail. Also, your parent is a joint sponsor. You are his sponsor even if you don't qualify financially. You will submit an I-864 as well as your parent.

Rene
Hi, yes sorry I meant they are his joint sponsor for financial reasons. Obviously, I am his sponsor for eligibility in the first place, as his spouse.
Old Sep 24th 2019, 8:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

There is some degree of commonality between the States but also a lot of differences.

As a general comment look at the State Exchange for wherever you are moving to.

Will he be obtaining a job with benefits hopefully?

Can you family not help?
Old Sep 24th 2019, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for your reply. Yes, he would be planning to get a job that includes benefits, but my question is to whether we would need to get something sorted for the interim if he doesn't already have a job "lined up" when we physically leave the UK and enter the US. When you say "can your family not help" do you mean with regard to health insurance? We will be staying with family when we first arrive in the US but I can't see how they could help with health insurance...? I will look into a State Exchange for Pennsylvania, thank you for the suggestion.
Old Sep 24th 2019, 9:10 pm
Account Closed

Your family would be familiar with how PA operates, I have a passable idea about Colorado but not PA.

I am pretty sure he would not be able to get Medicaid for example but assume you and the children would. Well you would in Colorado as they look at income and do not include assets.There may well be a gap as none of this stuff is immediate.

Medicaid is also effectively a loan so even assuming you get it not an NHS equivalent.

Depending on the job there may well be for example a 90 day period before he qualifies for Healthcare benefits, something to bear in mind for such an important issue, especially with 5 children.
Old Sep 24th 2019, 9:44 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

How is medicaid a loan? Never heard of it having to be repaid once the recipient is earning money.

Check the State of Pennsylvania for state healthcare. Read it and go through it with a fine tooth comb. Your husband can purchase healthcare on his own more probably through the ACA.
Old Sep 24th 2019, 10:12 pm
Account Closed

https://www.verywellhealth.com/how-t...-works-1738836
Old Sep 24th 2019, 11:45 pm
Forum Regular

Winston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scb12345
Thanks for your reply. Yes, he would be planning to get a job that includes benefits, but my question is to whether we would need to get something sorted for the interim if he doesn't already have a job "lined up" when we physically leave the UK and enter the US. When you say "can your family not help" do you mean with regard to health insurance? We will be staying with family when we first arrive in the US but I can't see how they could help with health insurance...? I will look into a State Exchange for Pennsylvania, thank you for the suggestion.
Hi and welcome.

I moved back last year and did something similar. I obtained health insurance for me through the marketplace- see healthcare.gov - I did this as it covers some pretty expensive meds I need. Fortunately I got a job quickly with a big company and there was only a 30 day wait period.

For my US citizen wife and 2 kids we know a private health insurance broker and he secured a combo of private policies for us which reimburses up to 80% of healthcare costs and no deductible. This was complemented by a policy from Christian health ministry which was an umbrella policy to cover serious events up to $250k

The solution was not pretty, but gave a basic level of coverage as we got sorted. For reference this catalog of policies was $1100 per month; needless to say I was delighted to get a good job with great healthcare benefits.

This is by far my single biggest headache in adjusting to US life. While I am happy with the quality of care, the complexity and fragmented nature of the billing is a pain.

Hope that helps

Chris
Old Sep 25th 2019, 8:31 am
Just Joined

Hi Chris, thank you for your reply, it was quite helpful. Thankfully none of us currently need any medication or have any health conditions. Perhaps a silly question so apologies, but now that you have a job with good healthcare benefits, has that removed the need for the catalog of policies you had initially? Presumably you and your family are now covered through your job? Thanks again for your help.
Old Sep 25th 2019, 11:01 am
Forum Regular

Winston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond reputeWinston_the_Great_Dane has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Chris, thank you for your reply, it was quite helpful. Thankfully none of us currently need any medication or have any health conditions. Perhaps a silly question so apologies, but now that you have a job with good healthcare benefits, has that removed the need for the catalog of policies you had initially? Presumably you and your family are now covered through your job? Thanks again for your help.
Yes, the whole family is on a single policy through my work. There is also a tax free account you can put money into called an HSA. I use this to pay all out of pocket expenses i.e. co-pays for doctor visits etc. The account has a 'debit card' but I pay most of my bills through my insurance online portal - super easy

C
Old Sep 25th 2019, 12:24 pm
Just Joined

That sounds ideal. Thanks again Chris!
Old Sep 25th 2019, 2:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

jjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond reputejjmb has a reputation beyond repute

Next question. What type of work does your husband do?
Old Sep 25th 2019, 2:57 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jjmb
Next question. What type of work does your husband do?
He currently runs his own business, they install security systems (Intruder alarms, CCTV, Fire Alarms etc). He would be looking for jobs in the area of security consulting/management.
Old Sep 25th 2019, 7:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

rstly, I read on another thread something about potential Capital Gains Tax might be owed when selling your house in the UK. We have our house on the market and do not own any other property, will we be liable for any tax when we sell our house assuming we have not already bought a house in the US? I have plenty of my lifetime of allowance on personal residence left for US tax purposes, though this current house we purchased in Feb 2018 so we have 4 months until we have owned it for two years. Potentially we could push back completion to after the 2 year anniversary to meet that if necessary, especially as we have not accepted an offer yet and house sales take forever to complete here!
There is no "lifetime of allowance on personal residence". To avoid taxation on any capital gain, you'd have to have lived in the property two of the last five years, And, strictly speaking, the same would apply to any past property you owned and sold in the UK: as a US citizen you're required to file a tax return each year and be taxed on your worldwide income. you do get credits for UK tax paid, but as the UK doesn't tax capital gains on primary residences, you are at risk of being taxed by the US. However, if you pass the 2 year test, you get a capital gains tax free allowance of $250k.

Last edited by Giantaxe; Sep 25th 2019 at 7:12 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.